S.308 (restaurant carry) debate from 4/17/13 - Page 26
Page 26 of 60 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: S.308 (restaurant carry) debate from 4/17/13

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    The problem is, waiting another 6 months DOESN'T guarantee they'll get it right the first time. They'll use the same BS amendment stall tactics they used this time. Is there a senate rule im not aware of that says that if the other team's stall tactics make you have to wait till the next session then on your 2nd try they have to let you have it your way?
    I agree with you. We were 50% there if they would have let it go through I know we could make it better later on......Now it is like starting over......
    Folks ask why I carry two guns...Well if I did not I'd be off balance and walk in circles!

Quote Originally Posted by NCIC105 View Post
    I agree with you. We were 50% there if they would have let it go through I know we could make it better later on......Now it is like starting over......
    If the house had have passed the bill they got from the Senate, you were more than 50%, but the current situation is not necessarily like starting over. After the line of silly amendments is over, and the idiotic discussions take place (assuming none of them pass which is not guaranteed), the first roll call will be to approve (or not) the House version. This will be a very important vote. If this passes here, the bill gets ratified.

There is a group of folks who think there may be enough votes to pass it without the curfew. They might be right, but then again, they might not be. I'll concede they probably know more about SC politics than I do, however, pro-gun legislation has been pretty scarce in the last couple of years, so I'm less than impressed. If it passes, they will celebrate, and we will all receive emails proclaiming victory via their incredible power to persuade, and asking for a donation. If this happens, we will at least get to see who voted to pass the Senate version the first time, and who did not vote to pass the version without the curfew.

If the House changes are not agreed to, they bill will arrive in committee where they may report out the A) House version, B) Senate version, C) something worse, or D) no report at all. If C or D happen, that sounds like a big fail to me. If B, then a several month waste of time to arrive in the same place.

4. Senator Martin tells me that a) they have enough votes to pass it without the curfew and b.) he is trying to get the bill ratified as is from the House so as not to waste any more time delaying the Bill. He also said at worse, he believes it goes into committee and passes as a compromise between House and Senate versions.

5. Quote Originally Posted by DLB1964 View Post
    Senator Martin tells me that a) they have enough votes to pass it without the curfew and b.) he is trying to get the bill ratified as is from the House so as not to waste any more time delaying the Bill. He also said at worse, he believes it goes into committee and passes as a compromise between House and Senate versions.
    And this isn't until January or sooner?

6. January, unfortunately.

snip
    Quote Originally Posted by DLB1964 View Post
    He also said at worse, he believes it goes into committee and passes as a compromise between House and Senate versions.
    That just depends on who is in the committee. Did he happen to share with you how they select the lucky individuals?

As I read comments like,"Better to wait until 2015 or 2016 to get it right or Should be OK in January" I personally find this attitude wrong. The bill would have pleased 90% of gun owners and should have passed and would have except for all the crap that started. You are NEVER going to please everyone. There will always be someone unhappy he can not open carry his twin 1911s along with the full auto AR on his back everywhere. Argruing abount what the 2nd truly means will not solve it. There is always going to be desention. The way I look at it is we gave up nothing we currently have to gain rights that pleased 90% of the gun owners. I for one will keep track of the people and organizations that contributed to this mess.

9. Sorry for the delay in posting to this forum. I have been furious at our legislature ever since the session ended. I was in a position to watch many of the live sessions. Here is what I learned. Senator Reese’s tactics were all about delaying any discussion in order to kill it. This seems to be a common tactic that has many forms. Senator Reese took an obvious approach of proposing amendments that were jokes. However, the bill also set in House / Senate committees for weeks/ months waiting for the end of the session. The senate finally passed a version. The house sat on it until the very end and then sent an amended version back to the Senate. One senator made the statement that any contested bill arriving in the Senate during that last two weeks has almost zero chance of passing. They knew exactly what they were doing! Our legislature needs to be fixed on so many levels but they refuse to allow it.

Just a point of information. Had lunch yesterday at a republican club meeting attended by Governor Haley. Asked about CC restaurant bill in legislature she said she will sign any 2A bill that crosses her desk and that includes CC restaurant and OC.

Quote Originally Posted by One-Eye View Post
    Sorry for the delay in posting to this forum. I have been furious at our legislature ever since the session ended. I was in a position to watch many of the live sessions. Here is what I learned. Senator Reese’s tactics were all about delaying any discussion in order to kill it. This seems to be a common tactic that has many forms. Senator Reese took an obvious approach of proposing amendments that were jokes. However, the bill also set in House / Senate committees for weeks/ months waiting for the end of the session. The senate finally passed a version. The house sat on it until the very end and then sent an amended version back to the Senate. One senator made the statement that any contested bill arriving in the Senate during that last two weeks has almost zero chance of passing. They knew exactly what they were doing! Our legislature needs to be fixed on so many levels but they refuse to allow it.
    S 308 didn't sit in any committee in the House for weeks or months. It was read the first time in the House on 4/24 and was reported out of committee on 4/30. That's normal order as far as I'm concerned. I've already said my piece on why I think they should have passed it as it was, but they didn't, so we are here now. Pressure needs to get heaped on in January to get this done.

The only thing the House might have done to move this along faster would have been to move on the companion bill.

If you think this legislature needs a fixin', take a look at these guys --> Blog

For your amusement, check out the post below that about the anti-gun wing nut from another reality. I just watched it again, and laughed out loud.

Page 26 of 60 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast