S.308 (restaurant carry) debate from 4/17/13 - Page 3
Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: S.308 (restaurant carry) debate from 4/17/13

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Canuck View Post
    By all means call and email. That's what I've said all along.

I just thought he was asking about directly addressing them.
    Oh I was. Just wondering if us common folk would have a chance to have our say.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.

S 308 will be heard by the House Judiciary Committee on Wednesday at 9:00.

I have a suspicion there will be a group who wants to pressure the committee to amend the bill and remove the curfew portion of the bill. What they won't be telling people is that if the bill gets amended, it goes back to the Senate. I don't have the rules in front of me, but sending an amendment back to the Senate on S 308 is likely to cause it to not progress any further... at least, in my opinion.

Do I like the silly curfew? No. I think it's a poor idea from anti-gun pin heads. However, S 308 has already made it through the Senate, where anti-gun forces tried hard to kill it. Sending it back for them to take another swing seems like a bad idea to me.

I'll be calling every member on the House Judiciary Committee and telling them to pass it to the House for a vote as-is.

4. Quote Originally Posted by John Canuck View Post
    S 308 will be heard by the House Judiciary Committee on Wednesday at 9:00.

I have a suspicion there will be a group who wants to pressure the committee to amend the bill and remove the curfew portion of the bill. What they won't be telling people is that if the bill gets amended, it goes back to the Senate. I don't have the rules in front of me, but sending an amendment back to the Senate on S 308 is likely to cause it to not progress any further... at least, in my opinion.

Do I like the silly curfew? No. I think it's a poor idea from anti-gun pin heads. However, S 308 has already made it through the Senate, where anti-gun forces tried hard to kill it. Sending it back for them to take another swing seems like a bad idea to me.

I'll be calling every member on the House Judiciary Committee and telling them to pass it to the House for a vote as-is.
    Yeah I got an email from the NRA about trying to remove the arbitrary curfew and that's what I wanted to tell them. Lets keep it the way it is now and at least get us in the door, then we can always come back and amend it next year. In the door with a curfew is better than not being allowed in the door at all. If the curfew gets removed, it'll go back to the senate and most likely get shot down for good.

5. S.308 (restaurant carry) debate from 4/17/13

Everyone contact the NRA-ILA and let them know you want them to leave this alone because right now they are pushing to get the bill amended to not include the curfew, and like I said before, I think we'd rather be in the door with a curfew than not in the door at all. But if you want to call their number is (800)-392-8683 and choose option 4. And then basically just tell them you want the NRA to back off of this bill for now.

I would call the committee members first. The NRA doesn't care what it's members think, or at least it hasn't in the past.

7. Quote Originally Posted by John Canuck View Post
    I would call the committee members first. The NRA doesn't care what it's members think, or at least it hasn't in the past.
    Maybe not but they do want pro-gun legislation passed and if the only way that happens is to take a small hit on a piece of legislation now and get rid of it later, then that should be a common sense situation. Why would that want to amend the bill knowing it won't get passed of that happens.

FWIW, it's my opinion that they (the NRA and any other group pushing it) wouldn't be too heart broken if they were to get the bill amended (and celebrate that as a victory), and it ended up getting swallowed up in the ratification process.

Do you think they would lose any membership dues or other revenue? They already don't get any from me, but how many others would cancel their membership if they got the bill squashed when sent back to the Senate? I speculate very few.

This is all just my opinion, but after the NRA's action with Jake Knotts, I wouldn't waste my time calling them. YMMV.

Duty performed.

Called my state rep. (a very liberal dem.)

Also contacted the chair & one other gentleman on the committee I had something in common with.

Correction: It will be heard by the General Laws Subcommittee.

​Hon. Derham Cole, Chairman​​​​​​
    Attorney: Patrick Dennis
    ​Hon. Dan Hamilton
    ​Hon. Joe McEachern

We should let them pass it as is and fight next year to amend..If we keep pushing them it will die on the vine....Then we all loose
    Folks ask why I carry two guns...Well if I did not I'd be off balance and walk in circles!

Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast