S.308 (restaurant carry) debate from 4/17/13 - Page 8
Page 8 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: S.308 (restaurant carry) debate from 4/17/13

Phew. The NRA is really looking out for us.

3. Quote Originally Posted by John Canuck View Post
    Phew. The NRA is really looking out for us.
    And who else is in SC? The clowns that sent the bill back to be amended? Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by DLB1964 View Post
    And who else is in SC? The clowns that sent the bill back to be amended? Good luck with that.
    http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2013/5/south-carolina-strengthened-self-defense-bill-scheduled-to-be-heard-next-week-in-house-judiciary-committee.aspx

After hearing testimony from the NRA and other Second Amendment supporters, the House General Laws Subcommittee removed these restrictions this week, and S 308 has been fully restored to a solid self-defense bill
    ^
    It seems the NRA put themselves first on the clown list. I note that they never bother to tell the readers of NRA ILA alerts that changing the bill would cause to make another trip to the Senate, with only 5 (and counting down) working days left in the session.

It's not like the Senate is doing other things like debating the state budget (for the last three weeks without agreement yet) or pushing for an Obamacare repeal bill that now does nothing to protect the residents of SC from Obamacare. I'm sure they are going to put all that aside to deal with this "solid self-defense bill" again.

What a shame. S 308 is not on todays House Calendar.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, they are also trying to figure out how to raid the state's general reserve fund to pay for the little hacking incident. $20M!

5. Quote Originally Posted by John Canuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DLB1964 View Post
    http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2013/5/south-carolina-strengthened-self-defense-bill-scheduled-to-be-heard-next-week-in-house-judiciary-committee.aspx

After hearing testimony from the NRA and other Second Amendment supporters, the House General Laws Subcommittee removed these restrictions this week, and S 308 has been fully restored to a solid self-defense bill
    ^
    It seems the NRA put themselves first on the clown list. I note that they never bother to tell the readers of NRA ILA alerts that changing the bill would cause to make another trip to the Senate, with only 5 (and counting down) working days left in the session.

It's not like the Senate is doing other things like debating the state budget (for the last three weeks without agreement yet) or pushing for an Obamacare repeal bill that now does nothing to protect the residents of SC from Obamacare. I'm sure they are going to put all that aside to deal with this "solid self-defense bill" again.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, they are also trying to figure out how to raid the state's general reserve fund to pay for the little hacking incident. $20M!
    Not that they care, but I called today and cancelled my membership and chewed some ass in the process.

6. S.308 (restaurant carry) debate from 4/17/13

I'm confused about something. I just got an email upstate from the scatatehouse.gov about 308 and its still showing the original bill with the midnight to 5am provision and the bar provision.

The Commitee report to the house was favorable with amendment. This doesn't change the actual bill though.

The house still has to vote on the bill with the changes. If they pass the bill as recommended by the committee, it will change in the record.

8. Quote Originally Posted by John Canuck View Post
    The Commitee report to the house was favorable with amendment. This doesn't change the actual bill though.

The house still has to vote on the bill with the changes. If they pass the bill as recommended by the committee, it will change in the record.
    "Ah!" Says the 15 character limit

I stand corrected. It's updated now. Seems odd, but there it is.

10. Quote Originally Posted by John Canuck View Post

^

The NRA did the right thing by standing up and trying to clarify the bill. The bill as it sat was stupidly written and didn't make any sense. Passing it as written and hoping it could be amended at a later date was laughable. Better to get it right the first time.

11. Quote Originally Posted by DLB1964 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Canuck View Post

^

The NRA did the right thing by standing up and trying to clarify the bill. The bill as it sat was stupidly written and didn't make any sense. Passing it as written and hoping it could be amended at a later date was laughable. Better to get it right the first time.
    Speak for yourself. I'd rather be in the door with stupid provisions that I would rarely ever need to violate than not in the door at all. And all the NRA was doing was trying to be able to give themselves credit in front of all their members that they are the reason the changes were made to strengthen the bill, and most people would never know it was their fault that it didn't pass. They'd just assume it was voted out or ran out of time. I have come to believe that they are more concerned with accruing more members and with how they appear to those members than they are with how effective they are as an organization.

Page 8 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast