S.308 (restaurant carry) debate from 4/17/13 - Page 9
Page 9 of 60 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: S.308 (restaurant carry) debate from 4/17/13

Quote Originally Posted by DLB1964 View Post
    The NRA did the right thing by standing up and trying to clarify the bill. The bill as it sat was stupidly written and didn't make any sense. Passing it as written and hoping it could be amended at a later date was laughable. Better to get it right the first time.
    ^^^^Here is the exact reason this bill won't turn into law this year^^^^

Have to win battles before you can win the war.

Couldn't agree more. Was the bill perfect? No, BUT it is so much better than what we have now. Any bill will say you are not suppossed to have alchol while carrying. Very few people enter a restaurant after 12:00 to eat. Yeah, I know there will be someone who does. But to have a way to carry 99% of the time and not leave in car EXCELLENT! I know where some of my gun support money will NOT go next year.

Quote Originally Posted by DLB1964 View Post
    The NRA did the right thing by standing up and trying to clarify the bill. The bill as it sat was stupidly written and didn't make any sense. Passing it as written and hoping it could be amended at a later date was laughable. Better to get it right the first time.
    I would agree, except, in this case, it could turn out to keep the bill from becoming an act. S 308 is now on the current House Calendar. The session has Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday left as working days in the session.

S 308 will receive it's second reading today (assuming they actually get to it). Let's assume further that it get's it's third reading next Tuesday, and actually passes in the House. I'm sure I will get at least two emails celebrating this. If the changes had not been made, at this point, S 308 would be on it's way through the Ratification process and off to the Governor.

The Senate Calendar currently has 5 bills that have been returned from the House, one of which has been there for more than a week. Do you think it occured to anyone pushing for changes, that S 308 may make it as far as this part of the Senate's Calendar, and still be there next Friday? At that point, we can celebrate the fact that the bill has great language and is supported by several "Pro-2A" groups, while not being able to carry in any part of a restaurant, up to midnight, after midnight or at anytime at all.

The real celebration will be by the anti-gun politicians who didn't need to work very hard to kill S 308 at all.

Just for full disclosure, if by some miracle, S 308 navigates this new path in the remaining time, and actually becomes law, I'll write a lengthy blog about how I underestimated the efficiency of the South Carolina legislature, and was dead wrong about amendments to S 308 being a death sentence and apologize to the NRA for criticizing them on THIS issue. Heck, I'll even send the NRA a donation equal to the amount I spend on my first meal at a restaurant while carrying. I'll be sure to eat it at the bar, and stay until 12:01.

However, if they managed to kill S 308 with this move, will the NRA appologize to me?

For more full disclosure, Palmetto Gun Rights are the other group that I expect to get an e-mail from.

5. Quote Originally Posted by John Canuck View Post
    I would agree, except, in this case, it could turn out to keep the bill from becoming an act. S 308 is now on the current House Calendar. The session has Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday left as working days in the session.

S 308 will receive it's second reading today (assuming they actually get to it). Let's assume further that it get's it's third reading next Tuesday, and actually passes in the House. I'm sure I will get at least two emails celebrating this. If the changes had not been made, at this point, S 308 would be on it's way through the Ratification process and off to the Governor.

The Senate Calendar currently has 5 bills that have been returned from the House, one of which has been there for more than a week. Do you think it occured to anyone pushing for changes, that S 308 may make it as far as this part of the Senate's Calendar, and still be there next Friday? At that point, we can celebrate the fact that the bill has great language and is supported by several "Pro-2A" groups, while not being able to carry in any part of a restaurant, up to midnight, after midnight or at anytime at all.

The real celebration will be by the anti-gun politicians who didn't need to work very hard to kill S 308 at all.

Just for full disclosure, if by some miracle, S 308 navigates this new path in the remaining time, and actually becomes law, I'll write a lengthy blog about how I underestimated the efficiency of the South Carolina legislature, and was dead wrong about amendments to S 308 being a death sentence and apologize to the NRA for criticizing them on THIS issue. Heck, I'll even send the NRA a donation equal to the amount I spend on my first meal at a restaurant while carrying. I'll be sure to eat it at the bar, and stay until 12:01.

However, if they managed to kill S 308 with this move, will the NRA appologize to me?

For more full disclosure, Palmetto Gun Rights are the other group that I expect to get an e-mail from.
    Lets be realistic, better yet lets be honest here. Its not really the NRA's fault they got into the fray so late. Our "honorable" Senator Reese AKA Krispy Kremer took up almost 2 days talking about silver bullets and crap like that. Then several more Senators had to be coerced into changing their vote which wasted precious days. That's not even including the days lost due to the dumbazzes who fiddled over fines and make no difference language in the bill- simply to stall it out. And even on top of that, there was no guarantee that bill was passing as it was written. It looked good, but numerous bills make it to a 2nd reading, or even 3rd reading and are sent back to Committee for some dumbazz reason.

Again, I'd much rather have the bill written the way the NRA wanted vs the way the bill was written to appease a very small minority of Senators.

6. Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Speak for yourself. I'd rather be in the door with stupid provisions that I would rarely ever need to violate than not in the door at all. And all the NRA was doing was trying to be able to give themselves credit in front of all their members that they are the reason the changes were made to strengthen the bill, and most people would never know it was their fault that it didn't pass. They'd just assume it was voted out or ran out of time. I have come to believe that they are more concerned with accruing more members and with how they appear to those members than they are with how effective they are as an organization.
    And same to you...speak for yourself. I'm not an NRA fanboy, but in this instance they did the right thing by bitching about flawed provisions in the bill. Most people who truly care about being able to carry in a eating establishment want the bill to be RIGHT the first time. The bill was retarded the way they were trying to pass it.

7. Quote Originally Posted by DLB1964 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Canuck View Post

Lets be realistic, better yet lets be honest here. Its not really the NRA's fault they got into the fray so late. Our "honorable" Senator Reese AKA Krispy Kremer took up almost 2 days talking about silver bullets and crap like that. Then several more Senators had to be coerced into changing their vote which wasted precious days. That's not even including the days lost due to the dumbazzes who fiddled over fines and make no difference language in the bill- simply to stall it out. And even on top of that, there was no guarantee that bill was passing as it was written. It looked good, but numerous bills make it to a 2nd reading, or even 3rd reading and are sent back to Committee for some dumbazz reason.

Again, I'd much rather have the bill written the way the NRA wanted vs the way the bill was written to appease a very small minority of Senators.
    Yes, but that is expected of democrats. We all knew they were going to try and stall it. But "pro-gun" groups? They may as well have blatantly supported the democrats because they were playing right on their side.

And to say you'd rather have it the amended way or not at all is a bit hypocritical. That's the same as saying you either want unconditional concealed carry or no concealed carry at all. Because the 2nd amendment doesn't put all these restrictions that the states do. So technically SC requiring you to take a CWP course is 100% unconstitutional. Are you gonna push for the states to remove their permit practices or remove concealed carry altogether? I don't think so.

No restaurant carry is better than carry until midnight. Got it.

9. Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Yes, but that is expected of democrats. We all knew they were going to try and stall it. But "pro-gun" groups? They may as well have blatantly supported the democrats because they were playing right on their side.

And to say you'd rather have it the amended way or not at all is a bit hypocritical. That's the same as saying you either want unconditional concealed carry or no concealed carry at all. Because the 2nd amendment doesn't put all these restrictions that the states do. So technically SC requiring you to take a CWP course is 100% unconstitutional. Are you gonna push for the states to remove their permit practices or remove concealed carry altogether? I don't think so.
    I'm not being hypocritical..I'm just stating the way the bill was written before it was amended was stupid. Would I like to have the rest. carry? Sure. But its not a make or break deal for me. There's still tons of places I go where concealed carry is fine.

Plus..I have heard from several chain owners that have eateries in multiple cities in SC that if the bill passes, they will put up signs prohibiting CC in their premises. I would venture to say there will be privately owned eateries that will do the same. May not affect you, but it will affect me and I'm sure I won't be the lone ranger out there.

Regardless, I'd like to see the bill passed.

10. If I'm reading the SC website correctly, It shows the bill up for consideration (2nd reading) today.

11. Quote Originally Posted by DLB1964 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post

I'm not being hypocritical..I'm just stating the way the bill was written before it was amended was stupid. Would I like to have the rest. carry? Sure. But its not a make or break deal for me. There's still tons of places I go where concealed carry is fine.

Plus..I have heard from several chain owners that have eateries in multiple cities in SC that if the bill passes, they will put up signs prohibiting CC in their premises. I would venture to say there will be privately owned eateries that will do the same. May not affect you, but it will affect me and I'm sure I won't be the lone ranger out there.

Regardless, I'd like to see the bill passed.
    Lets just hope they don't take the time to read up on SC's sign requirements if it passes. I hope they use the same signs the Anderson mall uses. My uncle told me the other day they had put up signs at all the doors and you couldn't carry in there anymore. I happened to be in there today and checked them out...they don't contain any wording on them; they are way too high (about 6ft); and according to the law they have to be at ALL entrances, and the Books-a-million store doesn't have a sign and it is one of the entrances to the mall.

Page 9 of 60 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast