Police restaurant carry - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Police restaurant carry

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kittel View Post
    Typically, LEO and similar people are specifically excluded in certain carry laws. If the law doesn't say you cannot do it, then it isn't against the law. Sometimes you may see that it says a person "may" do something in one statute, but then will go on to say unless it is specifically prohibited by a specific statute. I think it is a real pain to have to cross reference the numerous statutes regarding carrying. An LEO or other exempt person cannot drink alcohol while carrying concealed about their person, so why can't regular citizens go to a restaurant, like Applebee's, that has the restaurant separate from the bar? I hope we can work to change that in N.C. too, now that we have a Republican government...

14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

(a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:
    (c) Except as provided in G.S. 14‑415.27, a permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:

(1) Areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.2 <i>(educational property)</i>, 14‑269.3 <i>(assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.)</i>, and 14‑277.2 <i>(any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration).</i>

14‑269.3 Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.

(b) This section shall not apply to the following:

(b)(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269; <i>(G.S. 14-269(b) outlines the persons to whom this does not apply)</i>
    (b)(5) Sworn law‑enforcement officers, when off‑duty, provided that an officer does not carry a concealed weapon while consuming alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance or while alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance remains in the officer's body;

Law enforcement have PROFESSIONAL permits to carry and are also covered under federal Law HR-218. There permits don't have limitations on where they can carry. I understand your frustration but they are police officers, and part of there job is to carry a firearm. In some cases they are to carry a weapon off duty as well.

3. Quote Originally Posted by hp-hobo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    That section is what I am referring to. The section of law stating that it is illegal to carry a gun into a restaurant that serves alcohol would apply to "unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law". There is absolutely nothing in 16-23-465 that grants the police that right.
    Yes. Yes it does. 16-23-465 specifically says;
    "Additional penalty for unlawfully carrying pistol or firearm onto premises of business selling alcoholic liquors, beers or wines for on-premises consumption. Blah, blah, blah..."
    And according to 16-23-20 it is "lawful" for a cop to carry. Tell me this. A cop can CC even if they don't have a CWP. And of course they can OC. Why aren't you complaining about that? Because 16-23-20 says they can. Just another example of how in South Carolina we don't have the right to carry, we have the privilege, and that there is more than one class of citizen.
    Well then where do they define what is "unlawfully" carrying into a restaurant that serves alcohol?

That is for us everyday people. It doesn't pertain to the police there permits don't determine on or off-duty its all the time for them. I totally get what your saying.

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Well then where do they define what is "unlawfully" carrying into a restaurant that serves alcohol?
    Don't know, haven't found that yet. And I can't afford to be the test case. Most of the time I just do whatever I have to to stay out of jail. Nod, nod, wink, wink...
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by izaclown View Post
    Saw an LEO walking through the hallways of a local SC college the other day. Gun and (what looked like a) badge in plain view on his hip. How in your face is that??? A jacket covering it would have been nice...
    Wow, that 2mm of fabric sure makes you feel better. Do you take your blankie to class just in case you see something scawy?

The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by nca_mm View Post
    I've only ever spoken to 2 cops in my life that support a citizens right to carry. Most don't want us non-badged folks carrying anywhere.
    My hispanic brother-in-law is a cop with the L.A.P.D. I have heard him say (on more than one occasion) that only cops should have guns and the majority of the sheeple in the discussion agreed with him (except me of course).

I never really liked my brother-in-law, he has always been an arrogant jerk imvho.
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

I know the laws about carrying gets pretty confusing. Here in AR you can not carry concealed if an establishment gets more than 51% of revenue from alcohol sales.
    Now I ask you, how am I going to know that?
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

Quote Originally Posted by The_Outlaw View Post
    My hispanic brother-in-law is a cop with the L.A.P.D. I have heard him say (on more than one occasion) that only cops should have guns and the majority of the sheeple in the discussion agreed with him (except me of course).

I never really liked my brother-in-law, he has always been an arrogant jerk imvho.
    I have always found it funny how libs and sheeple are steadfast on their principles in discussions and debate but when the rubber hits the road they change. Such the old saying, "There are no atheists in fox holes." I and others on this forum have wondered how many in Boston wished they had a gun while they were hiding behind locked doors? I also wonder how many went out the next day and bought or at least started the process to buy a gun? Perhaps some of these tragic events may cause people to rethink the gun control plan that the lib-o-rats and obummer want. I read some stats about how many background checks there have been under obummer. The stats show that there are many who want to own a firearm. Now those stats do not show a true picture. Here in MN you can buy as many guns you care to buy using your CCL.

So Outlaw, your brother-in-law is not getting his way.

Please do not think that I believe these tragic events are a good thing. They are an act of evil.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Outlaw View Post

In what way is it relevant to the conversation that your brother-in-law is Hispanic? My guess is that's the reason you never really liked him...
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

Quote Originally Posted by vernsimpson View Post
    ... Such the old saying, "There are no atheists in fox holes."...
    I can assure you from personal experience that the old saying is wrong.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast