How long does it take for SLED to issue the CWP? - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 77

Thread: How long does it take for SLED to issue the CWP?

  1. Mine. took 105 days from mailing to receiving it back at the Post Office

  2.   
  3. Does anyone who had taken the test recently remember what the shooting requirements are? I have some friends who are going to take the class at the end of August and I was gonna take them out to the range and simulation if what they'll be doing in the class. I don't remember the ranges or how you're supposed to do the firing sequences.

  4. I took mine a few weeks ago and if I remember correctly, the distances were 3, 5, 10, 15, and 20 yards or something very similar to that. We shot 5 rounds, then reloaded and shot 5 more at each distance.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by shaggybill View Post
    I took mine a few weeks ago and if I remember correctly, the distances were 3, 5, 10, 15, and 20 yards or something very similar to that. We shot 5 rounds, then reloaded and shot 5 more at each distance.
    20 yards seems a little ridiculous. I don't think we went out to 20 yards because we did 10 rounds per distance and the last distance we did (I think 15 yards maybe), after you do your normal 10 rounds, he just told us to empty whatever we had left into the target and we weren't timed on that.

  6. #55
    longest distance for the CWP should be 15 yds

  7. #56
    I went all the way back to 40 yards IIRC. We started at 5, went back to 10 after the first 10, then 10 yards every 10 after. 5, 10, 20, 30, 40.

    What I found to be ridiculous wasn't the distance, but the slow pace they were trying to make us shoot at. What kind of a defensive scenario do they envision where one only has a half loaded magazine, no second magazine, and you get 5 or 6 seconds to shoot 5 times. Unrealistic and worthless "training" IMHO.

    :edit to correct my advanced math.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by John Canuck View Post
    I went all the way back to 40 yards IIRC. We started at 5, went back to 10 after the first 10, then 10 yards every 10 after. 5, 10, 20, 30, 40.

    What I found to be ridiculous wasn't the distance, but the slow pace they were trying to make us shoot at. What kind of a defensive scenario do they envision where one only has a half loaded magazine, no second magazine, and you get 5 or 6 seconds to shoot 5 times. Unrealistic and worthless "training" IMHO.

    :edit to correct my advanced math.
    I think the term you were looking for is UNNECESSARY training. And so the time you had to shoot you found ridiculous for a real life self defense situation, but you could think of a practical self defense scenario for any distance beyond 10 yards...let alone 20, 30, or 40 yards? Good luck explaining a 20-40 yard shot in court.

  9. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina USA
    Posts
    1,450
    Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    I think the term you were looking for is UNNECESSARY training. And so the time you had to shoot you found ridiculous for a real life self defense situation, but you could think of a practical self defense scenario for any distance beyond 10 yards...let alone 20, 30, or 40 yards? Good luck explaining a 20-40 yard shot in court.
    Unless the other guy started the shooting; OR, your old & fat like me and and a gang of thugs is charging down with intent to do me harm. (Seriously, there are legitimate times when a long shot may be warranted.)


    -
    “Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

  10. Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Unless the other guy started the shooting; OR, your old & fat like me and and a gang of thugs is charging down with intent to do me harm. (Seriously, there are legitimate times when a long shot may be warranted.)


    -
    There may be, but not that need to be taught in a CWP class. But what am I saying...NOTHING needs to be taught in a CWP class.

  11. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    I think the term you were looking for is UNNECESSARY training. And so the time you had to shoot you found ridiculous for a real life self defense situation, but you could think of a practical self defense scenario for any distance beyond 10 yards...let alone 20, 30, or 40 yards? Good luck explaining a 20-40 yard shot in court.
    No, I used the terms I intended to use. I don't think the training is necessary, but it's also unrealistic and worthless.

    I don't know about where you live, but there are areas of my house that are longer than 10 yards.

    Have you heard of the Tueller drill?

    Regardless, if the intent of the silly traing is to ensure that people are competent with their guns (that's what people keep telling me is the goal, although I don't buy it), at least make it realistic. You don't get to defend yourself in slow motion.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast