FBI Background check for CWP - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FBI Background check for CWP

1. Quote Originally Posted by John Canuck View Post
    Rep. Garry Smith either doesn't know what he's talking about, or.... well lets stick with that. Neither S 308, nor any amendment offered (unless I missed one and I don't think I did) did anything to change the time frame SLED is given to issue permission slips. The only thing that is going to impact them is a change to the law, or someone taking them to court for not following the law.

If Mr. Smith is thinking that raising the price to $75 is going to make them work faster, he doesn't understand how bureaucrats work. Governments work faster when they are forced to work more efficiently, not when they are given incentives to not do so. SLED says it costs them $64 to process a permit application. The answer according to some politicians, is to give them $75. The answer should be, tell them to find a way to make it cost $25.
    I could think of a damn good way to make it cost nothing for SLED to issue permits...

3. I would wholeheartedly second that motion Andey.

4. A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people, pursuant to and in compliance with Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by John Canuck View Post
    Rep. Garry Smith either doesn't know what he's talking about, or.... well lets stick with that. Neither S 308, nor any amendment offered (unless I missed one and I don't think I did) did anything to change the time frame SLED is given to issue permission slips. The only thing that is going to impact them is a change to the law, or someone taking them to court for not following the law.

If Mr. Smith is thinking that raising the price to $75 is going to make them work faster, he doesn't understand how bureaucrats work. Governments work faster when they are forced to work more efficiently, not when they are given incentives to not do so. SLED says it costs them $64 to process a permit application. The answer according to some politicians, is to give them $75. The answer should be, tell them to find a way to make it cost $25.
    I hear ya! They definitely need to learn how to do MORE with less and increase efficiency. I'm not sure SLED is the "best" organization to conduct CWP processing. I say move it to the local Sheriff's offices and run them. Better yet, let's just pass S.115 and be done with it! Yeah, that ain't happenin'....

6. Quote Originally Posted by SCinSC View Post
    I hear ya! They definitely need to learn how to do MORE with less and increase efficiency. I'm not sure SLED is the "best" organization to conduct CWP processing. I say move it to the local Sheriff's offices and run them. Better yet, let's just pass S.115 and be done with it! Yeah, that ain't happenin'....
    I think VA uses the Circuit Court to issue CWPs. That moves it out of LE control. CC should have a direct line to charges against someone and any mental rulings. Not sure how good or bad that is.

7. So I called SLED back today just to check, and was told that my CWP had been approved today. I'm not sure how long the approval --> printing --> mailing process takes, but I'm hoping to have it in my hand at some point this week.

Total wait for me (to approval, not to card in hand) is so far 103 days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12