What about nursing homes?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about nursing homes?

1. What about nursing homes?

I was reading the SC laws over today and read this...

(10) hospital, medical clinic, doctor’s office, or any other facility where medical services or procedures are performed unless expressly authorized by the employer.

...as of the places you cannot carry. I work at a nursing home and, although our employee handbook prohibits carrying of any weapons, can family members or visitors carry if there are no signs or does this law pertain to nursing homes also?

I'm not a lawyer, but the first word in that building is 'nursing'. Therefore, medical services are performed there routinely. According to the law you quoted, it would seem that nursing care facilities would fall into their category of places not authorized for carry. I could be wrong, and I would not trust your legal advice coming from this forum.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

A nursing home, retirement home is colloquial for an assited living facility or rest home.

The facility does not perform actual medical services, i.e. you can't go there for a check up, residents have doctors on call and onsite doctor visits.
    As an assisted living facility you sign a lease for assisted living and maybe assisted care and are therefore residents.

I would consider it the same as an hoteling situation with addition services if purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by melloyello View Post
    A nursing home, retirement home is colloquial for an assited living facility or rest home.

The facility does not perform actual medical services, i.e. you can't go there for a check up, residents have doctors on call and onsite doctor visits.
    As an assisted living facility you sign a lease for assisted living and maybe assisted care and are therefore residents.

I would consider it the same as an hoteling situation with addition services if purchased.
    A nursing home, rehabilitation center, and assisted living homes are not the same.

Nursing home and rehab centers routinely do medical services. Catheter replacements. Drug applications. Etc. Most people in nursing homes and rehab centers do not stay permanently. Those few that do stay permanently wouldn't live long alone. These facilities will always have a few nurses on staff, or even medical assistants.

Assisted living homes are those that would probably do fine on their own but choose to stay in the homes. They don't always have nurses on staff either. Unless the person wants their medications taken care of, out even have any staff involved at all in their lives, they are free to do as they please. Many times I would transport an assisted living resident and the staff has nothing to do with the appointment.

I don't know what is implied in the law...but if an assisted living home has no signage or rules against it, I don't see it breaking the law.

Nursing homes I would consider an extension of a hospital.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

6. Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    A nursing home, rehabilitation center, and assisted living homes are not the same.

Nursing home and rehab centers routinely do medical services. Catheter replacements. Drug applications. Etc. Most people in nursing homes and rehab centers do not stay permanently. Those few that do stay permanently wouldn't live long alone. These facilities will always have a few nurses on staff, or even medical assistants.

Assisted living homes are those that would probably do fine on their own but choose to stay in the homes. They don't always have nurses on staff either. Unless the person wants their medications taken care of, out even have any staff involved at all in their lives, they are free to do as they please. Many times I would transport an assisted living resident and the staff has nothing to do with the appointment.

I don't know what is implied in the law...but if an assisted living home has no signage or rules against it, I don't see it breaking the law.

Nursing homes I would consider an extension of a hospital.
    Yeah I kinda had the same idea. The difference between a nursing home and assisted living is the "skilled nursing" staff. We also have a large rehab department.

I would like a bit of clarification on the law though because although we have skilled nursing, we don't do anything that a lot people don't do on their own at home...

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Yeah I kinda had the same idea. The difference between a nursing home and assisted living is the "skilled nursing" staff. We also have a large rehab department.

I would like a bit of clarification on the law though because although we have skilled nursing, we don't do anything that a lot people don't do on their own at home...
    You will have to speak with a lawyer or even a doctor for that. I gave my opinion...and there will be a million different other opinions.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

^^^ what he said. :)
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

The four different assisted living facilites my family have used all had nursing care as part of the facility offerings.
    These facilities had different wings ranging care from minimal (daily check-ins) up to 24 hour licensed care (CNA to RNs, no Doctors)
    The 24 hour care section counted beds for patients
    The areas counted rooms/apartments for residences.

Are they residents or patients?

If they are residents with legal possesion of the property then I would think Section 16-23-20 should apply.

Can't carry in nursing homes, as medical procedures are performed in 'em.

11. Quote Originally Posted by nca_mm View Post
    Can't carry in nursing homes, as medical procedures are performed in 'em.
    All the medical procedures that are performed at nursing homes are also performed in people's homes on a regular basis as well. Does this mean if I'm giving myself prescription medication, or or giving myself an insulin shot, or putting in/taking out a catheter on myself (just hurts to think about, but somehow people do it), then I can't carry in my home as well? Or is it only considered a medical procedure if it's done by a CNA, nurse, or doctor of some sort?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast