? Concerning Traffic Stops and DUI Checkpoints - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ? Concerning Traffic Stops and DUI Checkpoints

Due diligence and responsibility and knowing the law are necessary if you are going to be CC. This discussion is helpful in doing just that. My comment is rather simple. IF YOU OBEY ALL THE RULES OF THE ROAD AND ACT LIKE THE LITTLE LADY FROM PASADENA AND LEAVE YOUR TESTOSTERONE HOME AND BITE YOUR TONGUE EVERYTIME A "TRAFFIC SITUATION" ARISES, there is very little reason to even have this discussion if it pertains to an LEO stop because you violated a traffic law. I am not a 24/7 and do not carry most of the time, but I can tell you that I am a "me first" driver who becomes that real ***** cat as I bite hard on my tongue and will continue to do so---try it, learn to live with it--it is the responsible thing to do when you are CC.

3. Quote Originally Posted by John Canuck View Post
    What were you pulled over for? Did you inform them that you do not consent to any search or seizure of your person or property? This, and other reasons, is why any form of notification law is bad.

What I think is that you should begin recording your interactions with the police. As a minimum, a voice recorder on your person to capture the event. Some would call him paranoid, but an acquaintance of mine runs video and audio at all times when in his car, and audio at all times when not in the car.
    Well the sheriff was just a ****, claiming that cut him off when I know for a fact that I did not even change lanes for over 4 miles, long before he ever entered the road in my vicinity. I think something about me or my vehicle just peeved him. But the 2 highway patrol incidents were speeding, but not by any extraordinary amount. Maybe 64 in a 55 or something like that (and that's before their "well I'm gonna cut it down to..." reduction). The city cop was because my tag had expired by 6 days while I was out of town and he pulled me over 2 miles after having just left the courthouse where I had just picked up my new registration and sticker, all of which was explained to him. Now I will add that in all these cases I did not receive a ticket, only a warning. In fact, I have only received 2 tickets in my life, both of which I got long before I started carrying.

But no I did not tell the officer that I refused to be searched because that is my question, what exactly does the officer have the legal right to do when just pulling me over for a minor traffic violation?

4. Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Due diligence and responsibility and knowing the law are necessary if you are going to be CC. This discussion is helpful in doing just that. My comment is rather simple. IF YOU OBEY ALL THE RULES OF THE ROAD AND ACT LIKE THE LITTLE LADY FROM PASADENA AND LEAVE YOUR TESTOSTERONE HOME AND BITE YOUR TONGUE EVERYTIME A "TRAFFIC SITUATION" ARISES, there is very little reason to even have this discussion if it pertains to an LEO stop because you violated a traffic law. I am not a 24/7 and do not carry most of the time, but I can tell you that I am a "me first" driver who becomes that real ***** cat as I bite hard on my tongue and will continue to do so---try it, learn to live with it--it is the responsible thing to do when you are CC.
    I'm not a "obey the law and you won't run into this situation" type of person. The reason I'm asking the question is for WHEN I encounter an LEO in a traffic stop, because let's face it, even the best drivers get pulled over for mistakes. So I want to make sure that officer is not overstepping his bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Well the sheriff was just a ****, claiming that cut him off when I know for a fact that I did not even change lanes for over 4 miles, long before he ever entered the road in my vicinity. I think something about me or my vehicle just peeved him. But the 2 highway patrol incidents were speeding, but not by any extraordinary amount. Maybe 64 in a 55 or something like that (and that's before their "well I'm gonna cut it down to..." reduction). The city cop was because my tag had expired by 6 days while I was out of town and he pulled me over 2 miles after having just left the courthouse where I had just picked up my new registration and sticker, all of which was explained to him. Now I will add that in all these cases I did not receive a ticket, only a warning. In fact, I have only received 2 tickets in my life, both of which I got long before I started carrying.

But no I did not tell the officer that I refused to be searched because that is my question, what exactly does the officer have the legal right to do when just pulling me over for a minor traffic violation?
    Well, take this for what its worth. Im not a lawyer, but i did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express the other night.

If he has pulled you for an actual violation you already know what a terry stop involves. Some boil it down to a couple simple rules. Never consent to any search, ever, and never talk with the police (other than a few phrases repeated as often as required). If he's going to do something to you, you should make him do it without consent and without any input from you. The running audio/video may help you, it may not. If he's right, he's right. If he's wrong, a lawyer handles it. The problem is the system is on his side. Your lawyer isn't free, he has immunity. YMMV. It gets better as you get older. They don't hassle you if you have a car seat in the back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12