Deadly force to protest property?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadly force to protest property?

1. Deadly force to protest property?

What are South Carolina laws regarding using deadly force to protect property? Like if you wake up in the night and someone is in your car stealing crap out of it or pushing a motorcycle out of your garage and what not?

Edit: My phone autocorrected "protect" to "protest". The title is supposed to say "deadly force to PROTECT property?"

A forum is not a good place for legal advice like that. You need to look up your states laws or seek a lawyer.
    Certified NRA Firearms Instructor
    Oklahoma SDA Instructor
    Utah CCW Instructor

Would you kill a person trying to steal the gps out of your car?

5. Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Would you kill a person trying to steal the gps out of your car?
    I'm not gonna say what I would and wouldn't do, I'll just explain the angle I'm coming from. It is MY bought and paid for, hard-earned property. If someone is trying to take it, they will be verbally confronted after the authorities are informed. If they refuse to comply, should they have the right to walk off with my property un-interfered? If someone dies of a drug addiction, no one says "those drugs had no right to kill him!" We consider it an "occupational hazard". It's the risk you run when participating in that lifestyle. In my opinion, if you wanna participate in the lifestyle of stealing other people's property, be well aware that there are life threatening hazards that go along with that lifestyle. We seem to live in a very "protect the rights of the criminals" society now for some reason. Why is that?

South Carolina Legislature

You may want to pre-arrange an attorney for the scenario you laid out.

A good read if your interested -> South Carolina Gun Law: STEPHEN FULTON SHAW: 9780981746906: Amazon.com: Books

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    I'm not gonna say what I would and wouldn't do, I'll just explain the angle I'm coming from. It is MY bought and paid for, hard-earned property. If someone is trying to take it, they will be verbally confronted after the authorities are informed. If they refuse to comply, should they have the right to walk off with my property un-interfered? If someone dies of a drug addiction, no one says "those drugs had no right to kill him!" We consider it an "occupational hazard". It's the risk you run when participating in that lifestyle. In my opinion, if you wanna participate in the lifestyle of stealing other people's property, be well aware that there are life threatening hazards that go along with that lifestyle. We seem to live in a very "protect the rights of the criminals" society now for some reason. Why is that?
    I’d really think twice about that line of reasoning if I were you, you haven’t any idea who that person is and how desperate they are to take your stuff. At the low end they may run away as soon as you turn on the bedroom light at the high end they just might open fire as soon as you walk out the door. Do you want to bleed out on your front lawn over a GPS?

Second thing to consider let’s say the guy doesn’t run and doesn’t win, in other words you kill him if he’s in your car when you shoot him odds are the car is going to the impound lot to be held as evidence pending a possible trial. Even if you get no billed the blood will be good and set in your upholstery by the time you ever see that car again. Are you going to drive it?

Nothing I own is worth killing another human being over
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

8. Quote Originally Posted by John Canuck View Post
    South Carolina Legislature

You may want to pre-arrange an attorney for the scenario you laid out.

A good read if your interested -> South Carolina Gun Law: STEPHEN FULTON SHAW: 9780981746906: Amazon.com: Books
    I never said I was planning to execute that scenario. That's why I asked what SC law concerning this was.

9. Deadly force to protest property?

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    I’d really think twice about that line of reasoning if I were you, you haven’t any idea who that person is and how desperate they are to take your stuff. At the low end they may run away as soon as you turn on the bedroom light at the high end they just might open fire as soon as you walk out the door. Do you want to bleed out on your front lawn over a GPS?

Second thing to consider let’s say the guy doesn’t run and doesn’t win, in other words you kill him if he’s in your car when you shoot him odds are the car is going to the impound lot to be held as evidence pending a possible trial. Even if you get no billed the blood will be good and set in your upholstery by the time you ever see that car again. Are you going to drive it?

Nothing I own is worth killing another human being over
    Upholstery is a hell of a lot cheaper than a car. And I've heard that last line a lot when talking to people about whether or not they would shoot a home intruder (yes I know we're not talking about a home intruder here though). The line is usually "possessions can be replaced, a human life cannot." I consider that apples vs oranges though. The difference is, most of the things I own are actually worth replacing...

It all depends on how SC laws are written:

In NC, use of deadly force is justified only to defend against the threat of death, serious injury, or sexual assault. Once the threat has stopped (the attacker, stop, turn to run, verbally surrenders) the use of deadly force is no longer permitted.

I know SC has CC training classes as I have seen advertizements for them on the SC stations we get, this should be covered specifically in these courses, or they are a disservice to those that pay for the course.

A quick search find this: 2011-2012 Bill 5072: Use of deadly force - South Carolina Legislature Online
    "Section 16-11-440. (A) A person is presumed to have a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily injury to himself or another person when using deadly force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily injury to another person if the person:
    (1) against whom the deadly force is used is in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or has unlawfully and forcibly entered a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle, or if he removes or is attempting to remove another person against his will from the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle; and
    Which seems to say you can shoot someone breaking into your vehicle, only if you are in the vehicle.

Theft of property is not a capital offense.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

11. Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    It all depends on how SC laws are written:

In NC, use of deadly force is justified only to defend against the threat of death, serious injury, or sexual assault. Once the threat has stopped (the attacker, stop, turn to run, verbally surrenders) the use of deadly force is no longer permitted.

I know SC has CC training classes as I have seen advertizements for them on the SC stations we get, this should be covered specifically in these courses, or they are a disservice to those that pay for the course.

A quick search find this: 2011-2012 Bill 5072: Use of deadly force - South Carolina Legislature Online

Which seems to say you can shoot someone breaking into your vehicle, only if you are in the vehicle.

Theft of property is not a capital offense.
    That is the way I read it as well, but I wanted to find out if there were any other laws I wasn't aware of. Also, yes we do have CWP classes, but I took mine back in 09. Their has been lot of legislation since then...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast