Tax-free guns part of House bill
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tax-free guns part of House bill

How many knew of this? It passed last may. S.C. Politics Today

21 May 2008

S.C. gun buyers will be able to purchase firearms tax free during the biggest shopping weekend of the year, according to a bill passed by the House today.
    Second Amendment Weekend gives gun buyers 48 hours to buy guns free of state sales taxes.
    The bill, which mainly deals with expempting sales tax on energy efficient appliances, contains an amendment that waives the tax on firearms from the Friday after Thanksgiving until midnight the following Saturday.

Found some more info. http://www.sctax.org/NR/rdonlyres/71...7/0/IL0811.pdf

Note: The General Assembly established the following two additional sales tax holidays during the 2008 legislative session:

(1) Second Amendment Sales Tax Holiday: This two-day sales tax holiday applies to purchases of handguns, rifles and shotguns and will take place every year on the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving. This year the Second Amendment Sales Tax Holiday will take place on November 28
    th and 29th of 2008. Information concerning the Second Amendment Sales Tax Holiday will be published later this year.
    Last edited by Red Hat; 10-09-2008 at 01:07 AM.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Awesome!

I suppose it is cool, but seems like one of those feel good things that politicians do to get votes.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I suppose it is cool, but seems like one of those feel good things that politicians do to get votes.
    So what? Tax free guns is a good thing.

wow that's awesome! gotta have respect for a state to do something like that.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Remember, you don't have to be a resident to buy long guns. If you are close to the state line you can pop over and pick a nice expensive long gun and save a group!
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

I read that our Gov. Sanford vetoed the bill but it was overturned. Not sure of the details of that but it sounds like Sanford is not one of us.

Quote Originally Posted by SCjeeper View Post
    I read that our Gov. Sanford vetoed the bill but it was overturned. Not sure of the details of that but it sounds like Sanford is not one of us.
    He is! He's signs about every gun bill that comes across his desk. For some reason he didn't on this one. Something that was attached to the bill must have caused him to Veto it.

10. ... i heard about this a few months ago. i can't remember what the downside to this was, but it prolly wasn't worth it. seriously, you can have a sales tax free weekend on firearms without any repercussions? will it make any difference at the end of november anyway?

I think it all started with the sales tax free weekend on school supplies we have in August. Just seems kind of foolish to me, but then I don't work for the government or rely on people voting for me to keep my job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast