Law regarding knives

Thread: Law regarding knives

Law regarding knives

Can someone please help inform me about the law regarding knife carry in South Carolina? How large a blade can one carry in his pocket? I presume a hunting (skinning) knife is legal while hunting or fishing. Is it legal to carry a skinning blade on your hip when you're not wearing camouflage pants?

This pretty much says it all about knives in South Carolina:

South Carolina Knife Laws | KnifeUp

Hope this helps.

Actually that's not even close to saying it all. Unlike firearm laws, there is no statewide preemption on laws concerning knives allowing any municipality to come up with whatever knife laws they see fit. Additionally there are in fact state laws prohibiting the carrying of knives in certain places. Let's start there;

"SECTION 16-23-430. Carrying weapon on school property; concealed weapons.
    (A) It shall be unlawful for any person, except state, county, or municipal law enforcement officers or personnel authorized by school officials, to carry on his person, while on any elementary or secondary school property, a knife, with a blade over two inches long, a blackjack, a metal pipe or pole, firearms, or any other type of weapon, device, or object which may be used to inflict bodily injury or death."

http://scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.php

Next let's look at some local knife laws by following a link. Just scroll down to SC;

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife2.pdf

As you can see there is a lot more to SC knife laws than shown on the other link. Now you just need to decide if you care to follow them or not...
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

WOW!

Thanks guys!

Pretty reasonable except for a two inch blade when you are in the school parking lot picking up your kids from school.

But you cannot have a hunting knife or a filet knife on you when you are in some communities ....

Oh, I was in a hospital in Columbia one day and started to pull a pocket knife to cut a tag off of something for a patient I was visiting and the nurse heard me and went ballistic. She said she'd have to report me if she saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by hp-hobo View Post
    Actually . . .

"SECTION 16-23-430. Carrying weapon on school property; concealed weapons.
    (A) It shall be unlawful for any person, except state, county, or municipal law enforcement officers or personnel authorized by school officials, to carry on his person, while on any elementary or secondary school property, a knife, with a blade over two inches long, a blackjack, a metal pipe or pole, firearms, or any other type of weapon, device, or object which may be used to inflict bodily injury or death."

http://scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.php
    Apparently the culinary arts students at Trident Tech are exempted from this law. They carry a whole kit of blades to school each day.

Not sure about the students in the construction trades; probably some of their tools could be weaponized, too.

It gets ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
    . . . Is it legal to carry a skinning blade on your hip when you're not wearing camouflage pants?
    Oh, no, now I have to worry about the fashion police, too?

j/k

Quote Originally Posted by Reba View Post
    Apparently the culinary arts students at Trident Tech are exempted from this law. They carry a whole kit of blades to school each day.

Not sure about the students in the construction trades; probably some of their tools could be weaponized, too.

It gets ridiculous.
    You may want to read the law again that you quoted. Trident Tech does not fall at all under this law. At least that's my understanding of what Trident Tech is and of what an "elementary or secondary school" is.

Luckily in Delaware our DECCW (Delaware Concealed Carry Weapons)permit covers everything except a machine gun and a switch blade.
    Some states gun permit is just that, for a pistol only. Here I can carry a machete and a cannon if I want.

Quote Originally Posted by SR9 View Post
    Luckily in Delaware our DECCW (Delaware Concealed Carry Weapons)permit covers everything except a machine gun and a switch blade.
    Some states gun permit is just that, for a pistol only. Here I can carry a machete and a cannon if I want.
    The reason why in many, if not most, states a carry permit covers handguns only is that one can carry a knife without a permit in those states. From your own link posted in 2015:

South Carolina has one of the least restrictive weapons laws when it comes to owning and carrying knives.

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    You may want to read the law again that you quoted. Trident Tech does not fall at all under this law. At least that's my understanding of what Trident Tech is and of what an "elementary or secondary school" is.
    Right you are!