New legislation filed today in SC - No CWP Required :) - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New legislation filed today in SC - No CWP Required :)

Personally, I feel that carrying openly in populated areas without a badge (as a LEO) is intimidating to the public, and in some ways violates their inalienable rights to feeling safe and secure in a public, social environment
    Where does it say anyone has an "inalienable right to feel safe and secure"? That's a personal decision and problem. Some people wouldn't feel safe and secure with squad of police and special forces.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    Where does it say anyone has an "inalienable right to feel safe and secure"? That's a personal decision and problem. Some people wouldn't feel safe and secure with squad of police and special forces.
    Good question, I've never heard that before. I think that is a Brady bunch creed!
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

I have to kind of agree with that post to a point... I was thinking about this open carry issue this weekend while checking out at Publix and realized that open carry could back fire on us. What might happen is sheeple might take offense at folks open carrying and then a lot of businesses that don't right now might start posting signs.... what I would really wish for over open carry is the ability to carry concealed everywhere including public property and buildings both state and federal. I think it is an insult that 'they' are allowed to ban us from most of these places.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I have to kind of agree with that post to a point... I was thinking about this open carry issue this weekend while checking out at Publix and realized that open carry could back fire on us. What might happen is sheeple might take offense at folks open carrying and then a lot of businesses that don't right now might start posting signs.... what I would really wish for over open carry is the ability to carry concealed everywhere including public property and buildings both state and federal. I think it is an insult that 'they' are allowed to ban us from most of these places.
    The right to keep and bear arms is just that; what works best for some might not be what works best for others. I have been in plenty of disagreements with the guys over on opencarry.org who'll blow these arguments against open carry right out of the water.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

On the face of it I would agree... folks should be allowed to open carry. And as I've stated, I'm in favor of it. I'm just looking at it from the practical standpoint of how it will effect us all if it is actually passed one day here in in S.C.

the funny thing is I grew up here in rural S.C. open carrying from about the age of 10 to 18... now figure out how politically uncorrect that was by todays standards?

7. If it passes, IlL open carry some. Not always though so as to not scare the sheeple. Not that I care about what they think though. Ill just switch it up now and then. Im actually more concerned with changes made to the law so I can eat at at Applebees or whatever without having to unarm. Id also like to pick up my kid at school and not be made a criminal.

Thanks to 340 for turning me on to this place.
    Last edited by AllAmerican; 12-17-2008 at 06:34 PM.

I'm all for Open Carry. The main benefit is you wouldn't have to worry about printing or accidentally showing your firearm. You couldn't be charged for brandishing a weapon unless actually drew the firearm. It would take some time but the public would get use to it. States that have Open Carry actually have very few problems and if it's a problem in an area or business then Conceal Carry there. It would be a lesser infringement on our 2A rights.
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

9. As I just read the bill I didnt see where the "No Concealed Weapons" sign related to the size and nature of the sign. Ill have to ask about that. I hope its not reading that ANY sign saying that would be acceptable.

I think in regards to the restaurants, in the CWP class I just took at Allen, there is talk that the legislature is trying to define "restaurant" by the percentage of alcohol they serve vs. food. So say a restaurant derives 70% of its profit from food, then you can carry concealed in there. If they derive 70% of their profit from alcohol, then that would be defined as a bar or whatever & you could not carry there. Those percentage's are not exact numbers, I just used them for illustrative purposes. I think this could be a good way to allow us to carry in a "restaurant".

Most States that have restaurant carry use the 51% rule. 51% food ok to carry, 51% alcohol not ok to carry.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast