New legislation filed today in SC - No CWP Required :) - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New legislation filed today in SC - No CWP Required :)

1. Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Most States that have restaurant carry use the 51% rule. 51% food ok to carry, 51% alcohol not ok to carry.
    Which I still think is wrong. So by that I have to ask the establishment how much of their revenue is food and alchohol based.

Proper wooding would make a distinction between a bar and a restaurant. Its pretty obvious which is which in most cases. But... what about the sports bar ? I mean I know Chilis is a. eating establishment but Ive been to some sports bars that serve food but everyone is drinking and its obvious that 4 beers costs more than the dozen wings you ate.

Its retarded. If you've got the permit you should be able to go to anyplace that serves food even if it is primarily a bar. You know because you have the permit that it is unlawful to have an illegal blood level and fire the gun. If you've been drinking and kill a bad guy they are gonna make you blow or take blood.

So, I wouldnt even drink in either situation just because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Most States that have restaurant carry use the 51% rule. 51% food ok to carry, 51% alcohol not ok to carry.
    I could be wrong, but I always thought that Texas was the only state that specified a 51% rule. In all the other states, if a portion of a restaurant is devoted to selling alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, then it is off limits, whether or not alcohol sales account for 51% or more of total income.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Laws stupid?

In all the other states, if a portion of a restaurant is devoted to selling alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, then it is off limits, whether or not alcohol sales account for 51% or more of total income.
    Any law about carrying in a place that sells alcohol is in my opinion totally illogical and silly. Your being able to control yourself unimpeded has nothing to do with how much the guy across the room drinks or doesn't drink. I am not allowed to drink while carrying with my Kalifornia Concealed Carry Permit (of course that seems not to apply to law officers). That at least makes some sense though I believe it should follow the same limits as are applied to driving.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Just to continue my pessimism .... I'm sure our law makers will come up with some kind of rule that makes little to no sense.... I was told in a boating class years ago there are no bars in S.C. only restaurants that serve alcohol... Some restaurants only serve crackers and maybe grilled cheese or such but there are no 'just' bars. Never really thought about it since I don't go our carousing anymore... actually never did.

wolfhunter Guest
    In Florida, the 51% rule is a guide for determining if a place is a bar or a restaurant. In those places that make most of their money from food sales, I can carry. But, if that same restaurant has an obvious bar area, I must sit in the dining area, not the "bar".

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Just to continue my pessimism .... I'm sure our law makers will come up with some kind of rule that makes little to no sense.... I was told in a boating class years ago there are no bars in S.C. only restaurants that serve alcohol... Some restaurants only serve crackers and maybe grilled cheese or such but there are no 'just' bars. Never really thought about it since I don't go our carousing anymore... actually never did.
    I seem to remember that in SC for a place to serve liquor they must also serve foos and have an enclosed kitchen. I had a friend that has a neighborhood bar that served beer, hot dogs and hamburgers. To get his liquor license he had to build a "enclosure" around his cooking area. It was a joke of an enclosure but it passed. I think you are correct that there are no "bars" only resturants that serve liquor. Beer is a different story.

The point of this post is that in SC we cannot carry anywhere that serves alchohol right now correct? I don't have my CWP but I am trying to get familiar with the laws and gun before I go take the class.
    SC CWP
    Kimber Ultra II
    Taurus PT1911 ALR

You are correct Aggressive1, but I would not fret studying up too much before taking the class.... if you don't fall asleep you'll be fine... I don't want to put it down too much, but the testing is really a joke. Learning the laws of deadly force is not and is very helpful, but the official government test is kind of silly.

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    Where does it say anyone has an "inalienable right to feel safe and secure"? That's a personal decision and problem. Some people wouldn't feel safe and secure with squad of police and special forces.
    I wouldn't feel safe in that environment either. But we do have to consider most people aren't familiar with other civvys openly carrying guns (this day in time) and can easily be intimidated by open carry.

As an out-of-State landowner of property in SC with the intent to relocate (soon, hopefully!), I have a strong interest in this topic. From my perspective, it feels to me that the same rules should apply, with respect to carrying in a liquor establishment, as they do for those who are driving and patronizing that establishment. Good common sense should prevail. If you can't be trusted to control yourself with alcohol while carrying -- OR driving -- then you shouldn't have a carry permit OR a driver's license. Somewhere along the line, if we're going to have to bend to be trusted and licensed (I mean rather than just allow the 2nd Amendment to prevail), then they're going to have to assume we're trustworthy enough to make those decisions for ourselves.

Funny..I thought that by selecting South Carolina, with its Castle Doctrine laws and enlightened Personal Freedoms attitude, I was making a good choice. I Love the State, and I haven't met an unfriendly person there yet. I hope they can get past this stuff.
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast