Is it legal?? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is it legal??

Relax German....I know the people at this bank and had my camera phone ready as I walked up. If it were a bank I was not familiar with or did not know anyone there, I would not have taken the picture. It took all of 3 seconds.

So all this discussion then begs this question....the sign may be non complient, illegal, whatever term you want to use, its wrong.

What do you guys think about the good 'ole "intent" of the sign even though its non complient??

wolfhunter Guest
    Intentions are not laws. BGs get released daily because of the specific wording in a law, even though what they did was a violation of the law's intent.

Quote Originally Posted by jason73 View Post
    So all this discussion then begs this question....the sign may be non compliant, illegal, whatever term you want to use, its wrong.

What do you guys think about the good 'ole "intent" of the sign even though its non complient??
    The intent was to make the law clear and concise. When SC first started issuing permits everyone thought that there would be shootouts everyday. People put all kinds of signs in windows and doors to stop people from carrying which defeated the purpose for CC. The law was changed to remedy the problem, in which the word MUST was applied to the standards for signs. So actually the intent is not for stopping CC but to allow CC under the law. If someone were to be arrested for CC in an area that has a bogus sign I'd be willing to bet that the AG would step in and have the charges dropped.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Obviously the intent is that the business does not want folks carrying in thier business.... at least on the face of it. I suspect that the employees don't really think about it or care and realize that crooks aren't going to pay any attention to the sign... I suspect that what it is really about with banks is lawyers trying to cover the assets of the bank.... for when some low life scum sucking evil doer comes in and you shoot him and either he or you get off a 'bad' shot and hit someone else.

The best defense for when confronted with you are in the wrong (carrying in here) is to plead stupid. As I mentioned before, say you didn't see the sign... doesn't matter if it was right in your face as you walked in the door... still say you didn't see it. Don't argue the law with the employees or an LEO... just plead stupidity... this is not what most 'true idiots' will do, they will always try and reason or talk their way out of things.... but no body can debate stupid.

"I'm sorry, I didn't see the sign, I'll leave" is all you got to do.... then leave.

If you for some weird reason are arrested, that's when the proper posting and signage comes in. 99% of the time you got it beat. Also, like I said, check the back door, emergency exit... it has to be posted too.

7. Are you allowed to carry as a cwp holder into a bank with or with out a sign? My understanding was no banks? could someone please advise. Thanks!

Banks are Private property. You can carry there as long as it doesn't have a sign or doesn't have a legal sign. So far I haven't seen a bank with the proper sign in my area and most don't have signs anyway.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

unless your "contract" with the bank says you agree not to.....the sign has to be legal.

fear the best voluntary law...
    SC CWP, NR - NH P/R L
    .45 Randall 1911
    .45 Glock 21

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234