Is it legal??
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it legal??

Is it legal??

Okay, I know someone posted the info from SC SLED the requirements for a No Concealed Weapons Allowed sign. Well, here is one I found at a "local" bank....based on what I see & then what I read from SLED, this is NOT legal correct??
    Attachment 278

You are correct, it's not legal. It has a red silhouette of a gun not a black one. It doesn't have “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” written in black. Another thing is it appears its not on the door. It also looks too big. If you are doing business with that bank I'd tell them that I was going to close my account because of the sign and take my business somewhere else.

SECTION 23-31-235. Sign requirements.

(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, any requirement of or allowance for the posting of signs prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon upon any premises shall only be satisfied by a sign expressing the prohibition in both written language interdict and universal sign language.

(B) All signs must be posted at each entrance into a building where a concealable weapon permit holder is prohibited from carrying a concealable weapon and must be:

(1) clearly visible from outside the building;

(2) eight inches wide by twelve inches tall in size;

(3) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black one inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

(4) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle seven inches in diameter with a diagonal line that runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal;

(5) a diameter of a circle; and

(6) placed not less than forty inches and not more than sixty inches from the bottom of the building’s entrance door.

(C) If the premises where concealable weapons are prohibited does not have doors, then the signs contained in subsection (A) must be:

(1) thirty six inches wide by forty eight inches tall in size;

(2) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black three inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

(3) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle thirty four inches in diameter with a diagonal line that is two inches wide and runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal and must be a diameter of a circle whose circumference is two inches wide;

(4) placed not less than forty inches and not more than ninety six inches above the ground;

(5) posted in sufficient quantities to be clearly visible from any point of entry onto the premises.
    Last edited by Red Hat; 12-15-2008 at 03:10 PM.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

I am curious. If I were a bank I would most likely want to have a way that I could prosocute a robber or intended robber. However, knowing the laws of concealed firearms and that CWP holders are more educated on the laws and knowing that based on record they are law abiding citizens... I can post a sign that is improper that allows them to enter with a concealed firearm. Make sence? In other words the sign is intended to add to the abilities to prosecute the bad guys, and not to keep CWP holders from entering while carrying. Its probably better for them in a robbery if there are CWP holders within their lobby.

Probably not... I suspect any banks lawyer will say that the cheapest answer to a robbery is to give the person then money and let them leave as fast as possible. We live in a society that doesn't want to take responsibility for anything.

I would not tell the bank that their sign is wrong... their solution would be to just fix it and then where are you?

As for the "If I ran a bank statement. Here's my thought... If I ran a business what I would post is "No Illegal Weapons Allowed" That would work as well as anything... actually the only thing it would do is cause really ignorant folks to think that guns aren't allowed ...

As long as you are concealing correctly there is no problem! I have seen some very sloppy concealment jobs on and off duty! I always point these out to the person when I see them. The attitude of the person Im speaking with plays a large role in how I respond to them.
    Action Is Always Faster Than Reaction!!!

7. don't do it signs

When nobodies looking I peel them off!!!

I am gald to see the discussion about this because this bank was in the news last week for a robbery. I would NEVER tell the bank that their sign is wrong, I think anyone who would tell that to the bank is crazy because if you have to go in, some idiot comes in there and holds the place up, you have a chance to put a stop to it and probably save your own & someone else's life.

Aggressive1, I find it interesting that you bring that point because that's what I actually had in mind. Most of these criminals/ignorant citizens don't know the regulations for the signs and therefore CWP holders would know that this sign is non-complient and still go in with their concealed weapon.

Red Hat...the sign is actually posted on the very front door.

Quote Originally Posted by NRA UR2 View Post
    When nobodies looking I peel them off!!!

I would strongly recommend against this. There are cameras all over the bank. We don't need any negative publicity.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by jason73 View Post
    Red Hat...the sign is actually posted on the very front door.
    I couldn't tell in the pic. At least they got one thing right.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast