5 Firearm Bills in South Carolina Senate (as of April 2017) - Page 2

View Poll Results: What is your position? (Mark ALL that apply)

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • WILL contact SC Senator ASAP

0 0%
  • WILL NOT contact SC Senator

1 100.00%
  • Support H3930

1 100.00%
  • Oppose H3930

0 0%
  • Support S449

1 100.00%
  • Oppose S449

0 0%
  • Support H3924

0 0%
  • Oppose H3924

0 0%
  • Support S516

0 0%
  • Oppose S516

1 100.00%
  • Support S159

0 0%
  • Oppose S159

1 100.00%
  • Support Constitutional Carry

1 100.00%
  • Oppose Constitutional Carry

0 0%
  • Support Open Carry

1 100.00%
  • Oppose Open Carry

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 Firearm Bills in South Carolina Senate (as of April 2017)

1. Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    Criminals are often not rational people that weight the possible outcomes of an action like you or I would, they are merely desperate at a level that you or I can't really understand.

When their thoughts are solely focused on getting some money to purchase their next hit of drugs, they may just shoot the person with a gun instead of just threatening them with a gun for their money.
    In real life, nobody can find more than 1 or 2 instances per year of an open carrier "getting shot first". If even that many.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    In real life, nobody can find more than 1 or 2 instances per year of an open carrier "getting shot first". If even that many.
    Sucks to be that 1 or 2.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

4. Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    Sucks to be that 1 or 2.
    And it sucks to be the person carrying concealed who has to use their gun to defend themselves or their family during an attack because the criminal did not see the gun first and just walk away. But we will never know how many times a criminal does see a gun and does just choose to walk away, now will we? Why do armored car companies make such a big show of things? Why do they drive the heavily armored trucks and have guards wearing uniforms an openly carrying firearms? Why advertise to the criminals they are carrying large sums of money? Why don't they drive just plain, unmarked cars/trucks with undercover guards dressed like everyone else, carrying concealed, and carry the money in plain, unmarked, sports type duffle bags? I mean all they are doing with all their "flair" is attracting criminal attacks to them because they are advertising to the criminals exactly what their business is, no?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    And it sucks to be the person carrying concealed who has to use their gun to defend themselves or their family during an attack because the criminal did not see the gun first and just walk away. But we will never know how many times a criminal does see a gun and does just choose to walk away, now will we? Why do armored car companies make such a big show of things? Why do they drive the heavily armored trucks and have guards wearing uniforms an openly carrying firearms? Why advertise to the criminals they are carrying large sums of money? Why don't they drive just plain, unmarked cars/trucks with undercover guards dressed like everyone else, carrying concealed, and carry the money in plain, unmarked, sports type duffle bags? I mean all they are doing with all their "flair" is attracting criminal attacks to them because they are advertising to the criminals exactly what their business is, no?
    That's funny, because I actually learned how to open carry with confidence while working for an armored truck company (to this day, I don't know why they call 'em "cars"). If people actually knew how unqualified and incompetent the overwhelming majority of their employees are, they would be getting robbed every day of the week. I mean, experience, training and licensing requirements vary from state to state, but here in AL the only requirement beyond standard HR employment practices is that the prospect have a valid *concealed* carry permit when they would be open carrying on the job. Some applicants would leave their first interview, go to the Sheriff's Dept. and apply for a CWP. By the time their second interview came up, they were "fully qualified" to carry on the job in such a fashion that no permission slip was required to begin with. I worked there for ~five years. Worked both day shift and graveyard shift for 3/2 years respectively. Never had so much as a sideways glance from any "civilian" (for lack of a better word). The only threat I ever caught wind of was when an ex-supervisor who had been fired approached the then-current supervisor to enlist her aid in robbing one of the trucks. Looooooong story how that situation ran its course, but no one will ever convince me that it wasn't the visible arms that kept every-day bad-guys away from us for the most part.
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    That's funny, because I actually learned how to open carry with confidence while working for an armored truck company (to this day, I don't know why they call 'em "cars"). If people actually knew how unqualified and incompetent the overwhelming majority of their employees are, they would be getting robbed every day of the week. I mean, experience, training and licensing requirements vary from state to state, but here in AL the only requirement beyond standard HR employment practices is that the prospect have a valid *concealed* carry permit when they would be open carrying on the job. Some applicants would leave their first interview, go to the Sheriff's Dept. and apply for a CWP. By the time their second interview came up, they were "fully qualified" to carry on the job in such a fashion that no permission slip was required to begin with. I worked there for ~five years. Worked both day shift and graveyard shift for 3/2 years respectively. Never had so much as a sideways glance from any "civilian" (for lack of a better word). The only threat I ever caught wind of was when an ex-supervisor who had been fired approached the then-current supervisor to enlist her aid in robbing one of the trucks. Looooooong story how that situation ran its course, but no one will ever convince me that it wasn't the visible arms that kept every-day bad-guys away from us for the most part.
    In some kind of uniform? Of course you didn't get a sideways glance, because you "looked" official, and not some redneck with your stars and bars ball cap, with a hog leg on your hip.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.

7. Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    In some kind of uniform? Of course you didn't get a sideways glance, because you "looked" official, and not some redneck with your stars and bars ball cap, with a hog leg on your hip.
    I guess that is why i don't get any sideways looks either. I just look like an ordinary dad and husband. Very few people give any indication at all that they notice my compact .45 in well fitting kydex holster made for my specific model of gun.

8. Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    In the interest of objectivity, LEO's wear a uniform, look official, carry openly, and no one seems to talk much about it when they are feloniously killed at the rate of about 60+ per year. I'm not stating they were killed because they were police (ambushed), or because they were open carrying as their occupation dictates, and those numbers do not reflect accidental line of duty deaths. They were killed feloniously as stated. I dont see many armoured truck personnel killed either but I see them out and about quite a bit.

Anecdotally, I have yet to ever see a single news piece about a private citizen targeted for simply open carrying. I mean ever. I'm sure we could Google it and cherry pick a few examples but I'm certain it is more probable to be hit by lightning. I don't OC myself but I'd rather be walking around with a .45 on my hip surrounded by other citizens than holding onto a 9 iron in a lightning storm.

I do know that a number of CC folks are directly targeted to be victims of crime and turn the tables on criminals in many cases. I have rarely seen their EDC printing, or being made as a CC holder, as a reason for their being targeted. Some lowlife saw them or their family as a target, they crossed a line into forcing a citizen to act in SD, and they paid for it dearly. Not the preferred outcome for 99.9% of CC holders, most of whom would rather never have to use their CC in SD, but much better than the alternative.

9. Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    My concealed handgun can clear my holster as easily and quickly as an open holster....

No one has ever been shot for open carrying? How about the bouncer at the Pulse Nightclub in Orlando... he was the first one down.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Coyote View Post
    My concealed handgun can clear my holster as easily and quickly as an open holster....

No one has ever been shot for open carrying? How about the bouncer at the Pulse Nightclub in Orlando... he was the first one down.
    You've been here for all of six posts and it's already clear that you're not one to let facts get in the way of your tightly held opinion.

No, you cannot clear you holster when concealed as fast as you could if open carried - that is unless you're so incompetent that your draw time is measured with an hourglass. So you may be correct on that one.

The bouncer at the Pulse Nightclub was targeted because - wait for it - he was the bouncer. An off duty cup in uniform located where he was visible to the sheep but also placing him in a vulnerable position for attack.

We get it that you don't like open carry and that you feel morally superior by carrying concealed as many do. Good for you. But please spare everyone the BS.
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

And so the OC/CC flame wars begin..... yet again.

Carry how you choose and shut-up because you are not going to change a single persons mind.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast