New South Carolina Bill Would Allow Guns On School Property - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New South Carolina Bill Would Allow Guns On School Property

Its true that this bill provides much needed middle ground for those CCers who have to enter school property. But I'm always insecure about leaving guns in cars, I feel irresponsible when I do so. Then there's this sense of security with a resource officer... I've never seen a "resource officer" that wasn't old and over weight (which doesn't mean they can't kick @$$), they are usually armed with at best a Glock 22, and there is only one of them to protect hundreds of children and to patrol thousands of square feet. At least that is what I see around the Upstate. Not to knock those officers, but it is what I have noticed since they started posting LEO's at school. It seems to me that when people like Seung-Hui Cho or Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold show up for violence, a resource officer will not be sufficient without backup. Perhaps one day we can supplement what I call "the illusion of security" with actual security. Till then, I'll obey the law and be glad that the whole school premises carry issue isn't dead in the water. Thanks for providing the info on that legislation.

I've never seen a "resource officer" that wasn't old and over weight
    Then you haven't been around here. I know quite a few of them and the oldest one is around 40. All of them are Sheriff's Deputies and usually are the younger ones as the older ones don't want the job. The person in charge of them is a "Lady" Deputy and I will guarantee whup your butt up and down the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Germanicus View Post
    Its true that this bill provides much needed middle ground for those CCers who have to enter school property. But I'm always insecure about leaving guns in cars, I feel irresponsible when I do so. Then there's this sense of security with a resource officer... I've never seen a "resource officer" that wasn't old and over weight (which doesn't mean they can't kick @$$), they are usually armed with at best a Glock 22, and there is only one of them to protect hundreds of children and to patrol thousands of square feet. At least that is what I see around the Upstate. Not to knock those officers, but it is what I have noticed since they started posting LEO's at school. It seems to me that when people like Seung-Hui Cho or Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold show up for violence, a resource officer will not be sufficient without backup. Perhaps one day we can supplement what I call "the illusion of security" with actual security. Till then, I'll obey the law and be glad that the whole school premises carry issue isn't dead in the water. Thanks for providing the info on that legislation.
    This would allow me/us to NOT leave a gun in a car MORE than we are forced to now.
    SC CWP, NR - NH P/R L
    .45 Randall 1911
    .45 Glock 21

5. 90 days is 90 days guys. It is not business days it is within 90 days of cashing the check. I have asked and this is the correct answer. If in fact it runs longer than SLED has broken the law. Looks at the statutes. It does not say 90 working days but rather 90 days total.

Correct me if Im wrong but I have it from a relieble source that 90 days is 90 days.
    Kel Tec Freak & 2A Activist
    Grass Roots Gun Rights SC

(C) SLED shall issue a written statement to an unqualified applicant specifying its reasons for denying the application within ninety days from the date the application was received; otherwise, SLED shall issue a concealable weapon permit.
    A very strict reading of the law says that they must notify you that they are denying it wiithin 90 days but it doesn't actually say that they have to issue it in the 90 days. It just says that if they don't notify you within 90 days they have to go ahead and issue it sometime later. I know it is splitting hairs but........ Notice that is says from the time it was received, not from the time you mailed it or took the course. There is some grey area here and I dount that a judge is going to find SLED in violation for taking 92 days or that the mailman takes his sweet time getting it to your mailbox.

If a permit is granted by operation of law because an applicant was not notified of a denial within the ninety-day notification period, the permit may be revoked upon written notification from SLED that sufficient grounds exist for revocation or initial denial.
    If they fail to notify you and issue a permit but later find out that you were a mass murderer then they can reposses it.

i have a question

i currently live in michigan and have a cpl (concealed pistol license). me and my wife are planning to move to south carolina next year in june. does south carolina have a ccw or cpl license? and what would i do about transferring my cpl in michigan to south carolina's carry or ccw/ccp?

any info on this would be great

jonsthaman, after you get settled in you will have to take a class and submit an application to SLED for your CWP. Classes run from $80 to $100 on average and the permit cost $50 unless you are a disabled veteran or retired law enforcement officers then it's free for the permit. I don't know of any state that will allow someone to transfer their permit. If you click on the thread at the top of the SC main page, 'South Carolina Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information ' you will see all the requirements and laws.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

thanks very much

thanks for the quick response.

i have another question if you're up to it.

every time i look up south carolina i'm always directed to a page with s.c. permit badges. are these a big thing starting up everywhere? i was talking with my dad about possibly getting one to have on just incase an accidental slip up and you accidentally brandish your gun from the waistband, but by having your badge near it, most people would think, ha, probably a cop or detective. as long as you don't try to impersonate that your'e a leo or anything.

also. in south carolina it's a cwp. is that a concealed weapons permit? because in michigan they got rid of their ccw permit, where you could carry any kind of weapon whatsoever. now we have a cpl just for pistols. or is south carolina cwp just limited to a pistol?

thanks again everyone
    Last edited by jonsthaman; 02-09-2009 at 10:22 PM.

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jonsthaman View Post
    thanks for the quick response.

i have another question if you're up to it.

every time i look up south carolina i'm always directed to a page with s.c. permit badges. are these a big thing starting up everywhere? i was talking with my dad about possibly getting one to have on just incase an accidental slip up and you accidentally brandish your gun from the waistband, but by having your badge near it, most people would think, ha, probably a cop or detective. as long as you don't try to impersonate that your'e a leo or anything.
    also. in south carolina it's a cwp. is that a concealed weapons permit? because in michigan they got rid of their ccw permit, where you could carry any kind of weapon whatsoever. or is it just limited to a pistol?

thanks again everyone
    Just my opinion, but if you are doing/wearing something so that someone might think you are "a cop or detective", you ARE impersonating a LEO. Bad move. Being made by printing or having your cover garment blow open is an accident. It may get you a warning from a police officer, check SC law for details.

not that

i'm not talkiing about doing anything associated or impersonating with a leo. i'm strictly talking about an accidental brandish whatever the circumstance.

i'm wondering if anyone out there has a badge for their permit and if they thought it was a good idea

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast