New South Carolina Bill Would Allow Guns On School Property - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New South Carolina Bill Would Allow Guns On School Property

The badge issue has been beaten to death on many other forums and threads and almost universally considered a bad idea. Forget about them. The SC CWP covers a handgun less than 12" along its maximun measurement and nothing else. Pepper spray, tasers are legal and require no permit. Other devices such as knives and batons are covered under other laws.

As mentioned the badge is a bad idea if for no other reason a REAL policeman or woman is not going to like it.

In the concealed carry world I've finally realized it's a lot more 'fun' to practice being a free citizen than a government employee.

Anyone carrying a Badge that does not have a legal reason is asking for trouble.
    SC CWP, NR - NH P/R L
    .45 Randall 1911
    .45 Glock 21

I for one would really like to see this bill go through - I sometimes take / pickup my kids from school.
    My Website: Nerd with a .45

I still don't see where I can keep up with the updates on when they will vote on it, etc. I have the link for the bill saved so I can check it but I can't tell from that whether it'll be a year or what until we know the result.

I hate waiting....on day 2 since CWP received by SLED....argh.
    SC CWP
    Kimber Ultra II
    Taurus PT1911 ALR

You can check on the current status here. Bill Information - South Carolina Legislature Online

01/29/09 Senate Introduced and read first time SJ-5
    01/29/09 Senate Referred to Committee on Judiciary SJ-5
    02/02/09 Senate Referred to Subcommittee: Knotts (ch), Massey, Coleman
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

It is Senate bill S-347

This first link shows the present status of the bill.

Bill Information - South Carolina Legislature Online

From that link you can see that it has been referred to a Senate Subcommittee chaired by Sen. Jake Knotts who is not a big gun supporter.

02/02/09 Senate Referred to Subcommittee: Knotts (ch), Massey, Coleman

You can follow the status of that subcommittee here on the meetings schedule for the Senate and look for a subcommittee on S-347.

Meeting Schedule - Gressette Bldg. - South Carolina Legislature Online

As you can tell it has not been even scheduled for a subcommittee session yet. Once it gets out of subcommittee they can either send it to the full Judiciary committee or to the Senate floor with the OK of the full committee. Once that happens it will be placed on the Senate calendar.

Senate Calendars - South Carolina Legislature Online

After it is placed on the calendar it is anyone's guess when they will actually discuss it and may be sent back to committee or whatever.

Once it passes thre Senate the whole thing starts over in the House.

South Carolina Legislature Online

Since the legislative session is two years they have until June 2010 to actually act on this so don't get too excited.

Thanks....I guess I can assume my kids will be out of school by the time it passes
    SC CWP
    Kimber Ultra II
    Taurus PT1911 ALR

10. Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    A very strict reading of the law says that they must notify you that they are denying it wiithin 90 days but it doesn't actually say that they have to issue it in the 90 days. It just says that if they don't notify you within 90 days they have to go ahead and issue it sometime later. I know it is splitting hairs but........ Notice that is says from the time it was received, not from the time you mailed it or took the course. There is some grey area here and I dount that a judge is going to find SLED in violation for taking 92 days or that the mailman takes his sweet time getting it to your mailbox.

If they fail to notify you and issue a permit but later find out that you were a mass murderer then they can reposses it.
    Which is why I stated that when they cash your check, the time starts. You know they have received it. I agree the jodge is probably not gonna bust sled for it being 92 days. However, the law says 90 days. They have to issue the permit.

Again, in the past few months, everyone I know has gotten their permit. ALL of them within 90 days from the time the check was cashed. Not to mention I got people. LOL
    Kel Tec Freak & 2A Activist
    Grass Roots Gun Rights SC

if you make them sign for the letter they have officially acknowledged it's arrival...
    SC CWP, NR - NH P/R L
    .45 Randall 1911
    .45 Glock 21

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast