New South Carolina Bill Would Allow Guns On School Property - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New South Carolina Bill Would Allow Guns On School Property

Thanks for that tidbit of info. I knew some screwy stuff had happened but not who or how. It is amazing how much power certain Senators can have with so little sense.

I am afraid that S.593 may be killed at least for this year. A last minute amendment to the bill now has it so confusing that I am not sure what it says. From what I can tell we are back to the conflicting code between 16-23-420 and 16-23-430 that was the point of the original objections and sent back to the Senate that way. I am not sure if those offering the amendment in were trying to help or keep the bill from passage. It sure looks like it was an attempt to keep it from becoming law and another delay tactic. With this latest last minute BS I don't see it passing this year. Maybe some of you closer to the inside can help.

The SC Senate failed to concur with the House version of S.593. Now this means that either the House accepts the Senate version that was passed or it could possibly go before a joint committee to work out the differences or it could just die. Some Senators actually read the law and started realizing how screwed up the present law is and tried to change that. Others tried to grandstand and say the amendment permitted drug dealers to carry on school campuses. Our only hope is for the House to pass the Senate version or hope for next year.

The House receded their amendments so S.593 passed as the Senate version and is being sent to the Govenor to sign. It means that if you have a CWP you can have your gun on school grounds as long as you keep it in the glove box , console etc. which is dumb as you have to fiddle with it before going on school grounds to take it out of you holster and place it in the glove box. However it no means that I can carry mine to work with me and park in the school parking lot and be legal. A very small victory but a start. There were some comments brought up during the debate by some Senators who were surprised that the existing laws made criminals out of current citizens for carrying plumbing pipe or electrical conduit on trucks to pick up kids was illegal. There is a good possibility that this may be addressed again next year.

Great, thank you for the info. I'm sure my kids are wondering why I won't take them to school anymore. Now I can! Nothing back in the works on the restaurant side though?
    SC CWP
    Kimber Ultra II
    Taurus PT1911 ALR

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive1 View Post
    Great, thank you for the info. I'm sure my kids are wondering why I won't take them to school anymore. Now I can! Nothing back in the works on the restaurant side though?
    The restaurant deal is going to be tough but I did watch part of the last debate and a few eyes were opened. They ran out of time this session and risked losing it all to get it through. There is some hope for next year but keep breathing rather than holding it in.

This bill has been ratified in the House and Senate. I believe we have to wait until Tuesday to see if the governor decides to veto. Anybody hear differently? I sure hope this passes. Maybe then people will allow CWP in restaurants that serve alcohol... I can't go into Moe's with my weapon.
    SC CWP
    NH non-res CWP
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralSumter View Post
    This bill has been ratified in the House and Senate. I believe we have to wait until Tuesday to see if the governor decides to veto. Anybody hear differently? I sure hope this passes. Maybe then people will allow CWP in restaurants that serve alcohol... I can't go into Moe's with my weapon.
    Sorry but the restaurant version did not pass. S.593 passed, not S.347. S.593 only provides for carry on school grounds.

Query - South Carolina Legislature Online

Query - South Carolina Legislature Online

Sorry, I guess my statement came out wrong. What I meant was, now that the school grounds bill passed, maybe they'll lighten up and let the restaurant carry be allowed the next time it comes up. Thanks for clarifying though.
    SC CWP
    NH non-res CWP
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralSumter View Post
    Sorry, I guess my statement came out wrong. What I meant was, now that the school grounds bill passed, maybe they'll lighten up and let the restaurant carry be allowed the next time it comes up. Thanks for clarifying though.
    You may be correct. I certainly hope so. There were some eyes opened during debate but we still have a few idiots in the legislature.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast