New South Carolina Bill Would Allow Guns On School Property
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New South Carolina Bill Would Allow Guns On School Property

New South Carolina Bill Would Allow Guns On School Property

A new bill introduced in the South Carolina Senate is either a worrisome threat to children’s safety or a minor change to keep law-abiding citizens from inadvertently breaking the law, depending on your viewpoint. The bill would allow anyone with a concealed weapons permit to have his gun on a school campus, as long as the gun is locked in a vehicle.

Sen. Shane Martin, R-Spartanburg, introduced the bill Thursday because, as a concealed weapons permit holder, he’s run into a problem. “If my wife calls and says, ‘Shane, our daughter’s sick. I need you to come by school and pick her up,‘ well, what do I do? I’ve got my concealed weapon with me. I would have to come home or go somewhere. I wouldn’t be able to come on school grounds and pick up my child. And I just think that’s an inconvenience that law-abiding citizens don’t need.“ He says the current law prohibiting that is rarely enforced, but he’d rather make this change to keep it from being a problem.

Concealed weapons permit holders have to be at least 21 years old, have a clean record and pass a handgun safety training course. The bill says any gun would have to stay inside a locked vehicle. That’s the major difference between this bill and one that was introduced and defeated in 2007. That bill would have allowed someone with a concealed weapons permit to carry a gun with them into a school.

Waiting to pick up his daughter at a Columbia high school Friday, Ray Hoskins said the proposal doesn’t bother him. “If a person has gone through the training and has a license to carry a concealed weapon in his glove compartment of his car, then if he goes to a school to visit a school, as long as he doesn’t take the weapon inside the school but leaves it in his car, for which he’s legal and lawful and has a license to have it there, then I think that’s fine,“ he says.

But, perhaps in a foreshadowing of the Statehouse debate to come on the bill, parent Dottie Hanlin sees it much differently. “I don’t feel comfortable with having any kind of firearm on a school campus, except for those that belong to the resource officer. I teach in a public school and I just don’t think it’s something we need to be dealing with when we’re trying to educate our children,“ she says.

Source: SCNOW
    Last edited by lukem; 02-06-2009 at 10:48 AM.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

parent Dottie Hanlin sees it much differently. “I don’t feel comfortable with having any kind of firearm on a school campus, except for those that belong to the resource officer. I teach in a public school and I just don’t think it’s something we need to be dealing with when we’re trying to educate our children,“ she says.

ya don,t want those kids getting any ideals like columbine,V.T.LA.calf,do i need to say more? i hope i never have to put my kids in that type of environment,teachers and parents should be allowed to carry as long as they have a chl
    Let every soul be subject unto the [U.S. Constitution.] For there is no [Constitution] but of God: the [Constitution] that be [is] ordained of God. Whosoever therefore resisteth the [Constitution], resisteth the ordinance of God:American Romans Ch.13v1-7 C.Baldwin

2009-2010 Bill 347: Subject not yet available - South Carolina Legislature Online

There are actually two parts to this bill. First is making it legal to carry in your car while on school grounds. A welcome change.

Second is that it defines that you cannot carry in the "bar" area of a restuarant rather than the entire restaurant. Another welcome change.

A BILL
    TO AMEND SECTION 16-23-420, AS AMENDED, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO CARRYING OR DISPLAYING FIREARMS ON PROPERTY OWNED, OPERATED, OR CONTROLLED BY A PRIVATE OR PUBLIC EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION, SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT THIS SECTION DOES NOT APPLY TO A PERSON WHO IS AUTHORIZED TO CARRY A CONCEALED WEAPON WHEN THE WEAPON IS INSIDE A MOTOR VEHICLE; TO AMEND SECTION 16-23-430, RELATING TO THE CARRYING OF WEAPONS ON SCHOOL PROPERTY, SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT THIS SECTION DOES NOT APPLY TO A PERSON WHO IS AUTHORIZED TO CARRY A CONCEALED WEAPON WHEN THE WEAPON IS INSIDE A MOTOR VEHICLE; AND TO AMEND SECTION 16-23-465, RELATING TO PENALTIES ASSOCIATED WITH THE UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF A PISTOL OR FIREARM INTO A BUSINESS THAT SELLS ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES, SO AS TO DELETE THE PROVISION THAT REQUIRES THE REVOCATION OF THE CONCEALED WEAPON PERMIT OF A HOLDER WHO VIOLATES THIS SECTION, AND TO PROVIDE THAT THIS SECTION DOES NOT APPLY TO A PERSON WHO IS AUTHORIZED TO CARRY A CONCEALED WEAPON WHEN THE WEAPON IS INSIDE A MOTOR VEHICLE.

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:

SECTION 1. Section 16-23-420 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding at the end:

"(G) This section does not apply to a person who is authorized to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 when the weapon remains inside an attended or locked motor vehicle and is possessed in compliance with Section 16-23-20(9) or Section 16-23-20(12)."

SECTION 2. Section 16-23-430 of the 1976 code is amended by adding at the end:

"(3) This section does not apply to a person who is authorized to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 when the weapon remains inside an attended or locked motor vehicle and is possessed in compliance with Section 16-23-20(9) or Section 16-23-20(12)."

SECTION 3. Section 16-23-465 of the 1976 code, as last amended by Act 274 if 2002, is further amended to read:

"Section 16-23-465. In addition to the penalties provided for by Sections 16-11-330 and 16-23-460 and by Article 1 of Chapter 23 of Title 16, a person convicted of carrying a pistol or firearm into a business which sells alcoholic liquor, beer, or wine for consumption on the premises is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than two thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

In addition to the penalties described above, a person who violates this section while carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, must have his concealed weapon permit revoked. This section does not apply to a person who is authorized to carry a concealed weapon when carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to and in compliance with Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 unless the person is present in the portion of the business primarily devoted to the dispensing of alcoholic liquor, beer, or wine for consumption on the premises."

SECTION 4. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
    The part in italics is the part to be removed.
    Last edited by FN1910; 02-01-2009 at 03:48 PM.

I'm glad you found the second part! That definitely sweetens the bill. We need to act on this one and make sure everyone in Columbia knows our stance.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Iknew they were heading this way, I am surprised and pleased it made it this soon!

You can read the original bill on the statehouse website at:
    2009-2010 Bill 347: Weapons - South Carolina Legislature Online
    SC CWP, NR - NH P/R L
    .45 Randall 1911
    .45 Glock 21

7. Were on the right track with this one for sure... I can support this.

Especially since I often have to drop off and pick up my son at his High School, and I like to go to a nice place to eat with the wife and dont want to have to disarm...

Day 53 of the wait for me.
    Kel Tec Freak & 2A Activist
    Grass Roots Gun Rights SC

I on any given day would leave work, put on my gun, take it off do into daycare, put it on take it off go into daycare put it on go into a restaurant put it on go home...

I have handled my weapon way to may times, and left it in the car where it could be stolen way too long...

The more you doft and don one the more chances thwere are to screw up.
    SC CWP, NR - NH P/R L
    .45 Randall 1911
    .45 Glock 21

I definately welcome that change as everymorning i drop my children off at school and eating out at night at restaurants is a vulnerable place to have your family withough a firearm.

Taking my CWP class tonight and would love to see the change by the time my permit is issued.....and that better be in 90 days!
    SC CWP
    Kimber Ultra II
    Taurus PT1911 ALR

count on 90 WORKING days ... days the State are open for business.

Though this time of yoear you should be fine, took my class Groundhog day last year got it in 2 months.
    SC CWP, NR - NH P/R L
    .45 Randall 1911
    .45 Glock 21

I was told to expect it to take the full 90 days and mine came in exactly 60. However I have heard that lately they are running the full 90, probably due to the increase in applications and decrease in state funding.

I doubt that this bill comes to the floor until late in the session but hopefully it will. Interestting that it was introduced in the Senate rather than the House. If it makes it through the Senate it should have little problem in the House. last year my Representative told me to sit tight on this that it would be introduced this session and had a good chance of making it through. As long as it doesn't get derailed by some overzealous parties on either side it will pass.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast