look at this no ccw sign - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: look at this no ccw sign

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bonneau & Goose Creek, SC
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1274 View Post
    The to and from is from your vehicle to the area and back to the vehicle. Once you leave the area that you hunt or fish then with out a CWP your gun goes back to the approriate areas. Glove Box, Center Console, Trunk.

    deleted...

    To answer the other Question. you can open carry on your own property. Also at your buddies property to shoot with his permission.
    Some more of Section 16-23-20
    here's the link... South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

    (8) a person in his home or upon his real property or a person who has the permission of the owner or the person in legal possession or the person in legal control of the home or real property;

    (9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driverís license, registration, or proof of insurance;

    (10) a person carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or fixed place of business or while in the process of changing or moving oneís residence or changing or moving oneís fixed place of business;
    ......
    (15) a person while transferring a handgun directly from or to a vehicle and a location specified in this section where one may legally possess the handgun.

    (16) Any person on a motorcycle when the pistol is secured in a closed saddlebag or other similar closed accessory container attached, whether permanently or temporarily, to the motorcycle.

  2.   
  3. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomboy007 View Post
    Invisible sign? I wouldn't worry about it.
    I really did LOL

  4. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1274 View Post
    The to and from is from your vehicle to the area and back to the vehicle. Once you leave the area that you hunt or fish then with out a CWP your gun goes back to the approriate areas. Glove Box, Center Console, Trunk.

    This is how a DNR officer explained it to me. He also said even though you can do that they recommend not showing the gun while you are loading or launching the boat to avoid problems with those who may not know the laws. Cause I was carrying mine in my hand to my boat and he saw me.
    But most hunting situations no one will complain you got a handgun on your side.

    To answer the other Question. you can open carry on your own property. Also at your buddies property to shoot with his permission.
    16-23-20-4) licensed hunters or fishermen who are engaged in hunting or fishing or going to or from their places of hunting or fishing while in a vehicle or on foot;
    I haven't heard that interpretation of the law on hunting and fishing before but then I haven't ever heard an "official" interpretation on it either. It says to or from and in a vehicle or on foot so I don't think the interpretaion about leaving the area is correct. I have heard it suggested that if you are going hunting and decide to stop by Wal-Mart it would cover you while stopping by to get some more ammo but I think that may be pushing it. Also remember that this section only covers handguns and not longguns which aren't covered anywhere that I can find.

    I think the comment about being discrete with your handgun may be a good idea as it may cause some people to get upset. However I wouldn't go out of my way to hide it. I haven't checked lately to be sure but there are some "lakes/ponds" that are off-limits to certain types of guns so check local laws and be sure to carry your license with you. Nothing worse than getting a couple of miles down stream and remembering that you left your fishing license in your car.

  5. #24
    I am in Florida..
    There is a finance compnay down here that also has a no CCW sign..

    Do they think this stops people from carrying??
    Do they think it stops the non CCW permit holders from bringing a gun in??
    Have they been advised by a legal team that if something goes down, they will be sued less if they have the sign??

    The leading gun law interpreter here in Florida basically says ignore the sign.. It falls under the trespass laws here and they basically have to "tell" you that you are trespassing in order to involk the trespass law.. A sign won't do.. NOW, if they ask you to leave.. Leave as immediately and politely as you can..

    Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by keep0njeepin0n View Post
    Listen, let me explain something and afterwards, I hope I am not hated by everyone on here.....

    Don't do what the above post suggests, first of all it will get you no where, second of all, did you ever think that it may not be the person behind the counter that put that sign up there and they could care less??

    Let me explain....I myself am a CWP holder in both SC and NH....I work for a company (will not say which one) that has signs (albeit illegal) that say no concealed weapons allowed. Now, do I agree? NO!! If it were up to me, those signs would be ripped down in a second! But, do to the fact that I work for a Corporate owned business, I do not have that choice or option! So, if someone came up to me yelling at me about some BS sign hanging in the window, I'd probably want to punch them in the throat to shut them up! Seriously though, think about what you;re saying. Do as someone else suggested, either don't go there, OR, continue to carry and keep your mouth shut, knowing you are within your rights legally.

    Would I say anything to someone who carries in my business if I knew they were carrying? Hell no! But at the same time, I cannot just go ripping down signs off of the entrances either!
    They said to speak to the owner. I think that might have a different effect.

    I think a more appropriate approach would be to ask the owner why he has that sign out there - what his concerns are. If you can't change his mind (and you likely won't), then you can threaten him with your boycott, etc. However all of that is like punching a guy in the nose for saying he doesn't like your haircut.

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Heart of Dixie
    Posts
    1,225

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Moore County, NC
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by keep0njeepin0n View Post
    Listen, let me explain something and afterwards, I hope I am not hated by everyone on here.....

    Don't do what the above post suggests, first of all it will get you no where, second of all, did you ever think that it may not be the person behind the counter that put that sign up there and they could care less??

    Let me explain....I myself am a CWP holder in both SC and NH....I work for a company (will not say which one) that has signs (albeit illegal) that say no concealed weapons allowed. Now, do I agree? NO!! If it were up to me, those signs would be ripped down in a second! But, do to the fact that I work for a Corporate owned business, I do not have that choice or option! So, if someone came up to me yelling at me about some BS sign hanging in the window, I'd probably want to punch them in the throat to shut them up! Seriously though, think about what you;re saying. Do as someone else suggested, either don't go there, OR, continue to carry and keep your mouth shut, knowing you are within your rights legally.

    Would I say anything to someone who carries in my business if I knew they were carrying? Hell no! But at the same time, I cannot just go ripping down signs off of the entrances either!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
    They said to speak to the owner. I think that might have a different effect.

    I think a more appropriate approach would be to ask the owner why he has that sign out there - what his concerns are. If you can't change his mind (and you likely won't), then you can threaten him with your boycott, etc. However all of that is like punching a guy in the nose for saying he doesn't like your haircut.
    Good posts, keepOnjeepinOn and Bullitt!!!

    Reap the Vision...
    ...Mike

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bonneau & Goose Creek, SC
    Posts
    444
    Glockster20 - That is an awesome sign!

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
    They said to speak to the owner. I think that might have a different effect.

    I think a more appropriate approach would be to ask the owner why he has that sign out there - what his concerns are. If you can't change his mind (and you likely won't), then you can threaten him with your boycott, etc. However all of that is like punching a guy in the nose for saying he doesn't like your haircut.
    Yeah I guess you could ask to speak to the owner and give him (respectfully) a piece of your mind. I was just thinking that in a situation like mine, where the owner is not an individual, rather an entire company, and I, as a manager, am acting as the representative of said company. Like you said though Bullitt, you're very unlikely to change their mind and probably wasting your time. That's why it's probably best for both parties to just keep your mouth shut and continue to carry if the sign is illegal, OR just quietly walk out and never return.

  11. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by lowvoltguy View Post
    That sign is not even close to meeting the requirements. Tell the shop owner if he wants to ban concealed weapons in his store he should follow the guidelines for sign requirements ... and that he won't be getting any more of your business.
    PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS! We do not advertise the requirements - which is why there are very few legally posted places. It's fine to advise them that you won't do business there, but don't reference the sign law.

    Howard

    NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor, Range Safety Officer
    SC CWP Instructor
    GrassRoots GunRights SC - the only choice for SC

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast