A little Clarity - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A little Clarity

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    I have my sccwp and am unclear about vehicle carry. I believe i can carry on my person while in my vehicle. Pleas advise if anyone else reads it this way. Also can I carry it in my center console or in the open on the front seat with a cwp?

Thanks

With you SC CWP you can carry it concealed on your person while in a vehicle. You can also carry it with or without a CWP in a closed console or glove compartment and does not have to have a lock. It's illegal to carry it in plain sight on the seat.

SC law

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

As i understand it, Georgia is just the opposite. It has to be in full open view. I can't imagine how an officer would react if he approached your window and sees a pistol lying in the seat next to you.
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't watching you!

Quote Originally Posted by mrt202 View Post
    As i understand it, Georgia is just the opposite. It has to be in full open view. I can't imagine how an officer would react if he approached your window and sees a pistol lying in the seat next to you.
    Correct, if you don't have a permit. As long as the LEO knows the law then nobody should have any problems.

Automobile carry:
    Without a GA or Reciprocal License - fully open to view (such as uncovered in passenger seat, partially sticking out below or beside seat is not allowed). If you are not prohibited from obtaining a firearm carry license, it can be in a closeable compartment like the glove box or center console (map pockets that are not closeable are not acceptable) ith a GA or Reciprocal License - Anywhere in the car.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12