Black Powder pistol. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Powder pistol.

I bought two from Cabelas years ago, they seem to have the best selection.

I own both a 1860 colt (still one of the best looking revolvers ever made) and a 1858 remington (both reproductions by some italian company..perellie or something like that)

both take 11mm caps.... not 10... they are fun to shoot but if trying to see if you hit your target you need a day with at least a slight wind.

I would use the l fiber wads over the balls and not greece or lard.

Oh, the reminigton you can exchange loaded cylinders, remember The Out Law Josey Wales?... but what ever you do don't keep a spare loaded cylinder with caps on it! leave the caps off until the cylinder is in the gun.

Cabelas has the Remington 1858 on sale right now for $190.oo

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    ...both take 11mm caps.... not 10...
    WOW!!! Those are some big caps! 0.43307" or around 7/16 of an inch -- BIG CAPS...

No. 11 maybe?

(Yeah, every forum has one, but I'm only part time...)
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Okay, you got me.... I gess the commie indoctrination / brain washing is showing through..

Number 11 caps, not 11mm.

but you know that 1858 Remington is a big pistol!

by the way, there are at least two companies that sell replacement cylinders that take 45 long colts, they are pricey though.

[[email protected];100367]
    Oh, the reminigton you can exchange loaded cylinders, remember The Out Law Josey Wales?... but what ever you do don't keep a spare loaded cylinder with caps on it! leave the caps off until the cylinder is in the gun.
    /QUOTE]

The Out Law Josie Wales and Unforgiven i think are the best Eastwood movies.

I like the look of the back strapless model but from the Cabela's video looks to be a pain remove the cylinder compared to the 1858.

Got to really think about this!

Both movies were great but don't get fooled by movie hype... changing cylinders in the 1858 is not a snap... it is not much faster than actually loading 5 or 6 rounds in a single action.

the 1860 colt is just plan purty...

forgive my ignorance....

the 1851 uses a wedge to release the cylinde, half frame
    the 1858 uses a cylinder pin to release the cylinder, full frame
    the 1860 uses a wedge to release the cylinder, half frame

The half frames do look more attractive.

I'm far from an expert on these... the first thing to keep in mind is when looking at these pistols is that they were originally build and designed by different people... 2nd is that the manufacturing date does not mean a whole lot... the 1858 is a more advanced handgun than the 1860.... and such.

Oh and one other thing.... as long as you determine that either of these pistols is not a firearm per S.C. law then you might be fine with concealed carry.... but if you or a higher power decides that they are a firearm, neither can legally be carried concealed...they both measure in over 14" from barrel to butt. (exceeding the 12" rule)

1858 Remington

Here is my baby .44 cal

Mello.... Mine as well..... Nothing could ever top the day I stayed home from school and watched a Clint marathon headed off with "Outlaw Josey Wales".

Favorite quote has to be " Don't piss down my back and tell me its raining"

After movie I went out and bought a huge bag of Beef Jerkey and practiced spitting at my dog !!

Hmmm cant seem to upload a jpeg, unless it is hosted by a url . I hate that

The1858 brass pistol I bought is an exact replica of the one he used in Pale Rider I don't know why i cant post a picture !!

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    ...they both measure in over 14" from barrel to butt. (exceeding the 12" rule)
    Wow - I didn't realize they were that long.
    Definitely not considered concealable firearm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast