Thune Introduces Bill To Allow Concealed Firearms To Be Carried Across State Lines
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thune Introduces Bill To Allow Concealed Firearms To Be Carried Across State Lines

Thune Introduces Bill To Allow Concealed Firearms To Be Carried Across State Lines

Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.) on Tuesday introduced the Respecting States’ Rights and Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act (S.371), a bill that would allow people to carry lawfully concealed firearms across state lines, while at the same time respecting the laws of the host state.

“South Dakota is a state with responsible laws allowing citizens to protect themselves with concealed weapons,” Thune said. “Law-abiding South Dakotans should be able to exercise the right to bear arms in states with similar regulations on concealed firearms.”

According to economist and leading firearms researcher John Lott, Jr., states with concealed carry laws have significantly lower violent crime rates. His data shows that for every year a state has a concealed carry law, the murder rate declines by three percent, rape by two percent and robberies by over two percent.

Currently, some states with concealed carry laws grant reciprocity to permit-holders from other select states. Thune’s bill strikes a balance between individual and states’ rights by allowing an individual to carry a concealed firearm across state lines if they either have a valid permit or if, under their state of residence, they are entitled to do so. People traveling with guns must follow the laws of the host state, including laws concerning specific types of locations in which firearms may or may not be carried.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

I hope this happens however with the present congress and President in power I will admit I am a little dubious that it will become law.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

I live in Milford Pa. That means I live about 10 miles from the NJ state line and about 16 miles from the NY line.
    There have been numerous times that I have had to return home to put my gun away or get out of the car and lock the gun and ammo separate so that I can enter these two 'GREAT :-(' states.

A law like the one introduced would be most helpful.

Thune is my senator. Here in South Dakota we already recognize permits issued by all other states. What Senator Thune is pushing for is for all states to do the same. Thune is a good guy.

How can we get a nationwide of support for this bill? It dovetails with the one permit thread. Let's pass the word!

I'm all for this one to pass . I hope it does but dont know if it will with present gov .

Wasn't a similar effort defeated by one vote in the Senate last Fall? It would still have to pass in the House too...right?
    Heavily medicated for your protection.

Just doing what the Liberals always do. If at first you don't succeed bring it up again and again and again... Attach it to every spending bill, etc. etc.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

I must travel to California often. It greatly annoys me that I must disarm in the place I need protection the most.

I, too, would like bill this to become law.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    I must travel to California often. It greatly annoys me that I must disarm in the place I need protection the most.

I, too, would like bill this to become law.
    Funny how the places you need to carry the most are the places that out law it, cough, NY, Chicago, Cali, cough
    M1 Garand, Kimber Custom Carry II, Ruger P-95, Mossberg Persuader 12ga., Charles Daly 12ga(My gobbler gobbler)
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/10/311.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast