Better than money - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Better than money

Whenever someone in my family is seen by the doctor and he prescribes antibiotics, pain pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, or hard pills we are saving them in anticipation of worse times ahead. We are using home remedies to cure what ever is wrong. My sister stepped on a rusty nail and lost her leg due to this recently, but we are not going to let a little thing like that detour Gods plan.

We have all cashed in our 401k\'s. Taken the tax penalt\'s and have converted it to gold which we have buried on our property along with a wooden box containing guns and ammo, and bibles.

Our pantry contains several cases of canned beans, spanish rice, bottled spring water. and pure grain alcohol.

Soon, the Kenyon in office will show his true colors and turn on the America we love.

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    Money may be useless in a post fan scenario.

Barter items such as batteries, ammo in very limited quantities, food and medical supplies will come in handy.

Think about a renewable resource you have and how you may be able to exploit it to posture yourself ahead of the game in bartering.
    Water. Fill up every plastic container you use. Gatarade bottles, Liter type soft drink bottles etc. Keep them stored and ready for movement. currently have a garage full of water, more than enough to keep me sustained for months. Problem is, is transporting it.

Fuel.

Generators.

Trade your wife or GF for sex. (This is mentioned in most of the post apolyptic type books, no kidding)

Spare tools.

Batteries.

Water,

Water,

Water.

The problem with meat and fish is that they are perrishable also. If there is no electric you'll have take what you can eat that day and maybe the next day. You cannot haul around deer meat in your ruck for very long. It's also good bait for fishing. Small critters make more sense.

Marketable skill sets. Knife making, fire starter kits and teaching the bow and drill methid, medical or EMT type training and supplies.

This list goes on and an and on.
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Question : Did they have electricity two thousand years ago ?

How did the Romans manage to 'cure' their Ham/Prosciutti, at times taking as long as two years before it was finally ready to eat.

Salt will be one of the more important commodities in a post-apocalyptic world.
    Very true.

I am assuming that I'll be on the move, not in a static platform such as a house or hide out for any length of time.

I'm also not going to hang meat for curing. Animals, invaders, looters and the like. Dont need to leave tracks where otherwise putting myself in a higher risk category.

I'm thinking in the "Escape and evade" mindset.
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

Blog Entries
    I'm always trying to stay prepared:
    I have sheep,chickens and keep the pond stocked with fish, make my own brandy, have a large garden and can what I want to save.
    I do my own butchering, beef, sheep, deer.
    I built a smoke house and know how to cure meat.
    I have a wood burner and good stock of firewood.
    I am well armed and practice a lot.
    You know what they say "A Country Boy Will Survive"
    “Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower

For those of you who are into survival, check out the book "Nuclear War Survival Skills" by Cresson H. Kearny. It has sections in it about food, water, shelter, medicine,ect... I ordered 1 dozed copies 15 years ago for $8. a piece. (bulk rate) $12.50 single copy.
    I ordered them from the "Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine" PO Box 1279 Cave Junction, Oregon 97523
    I checked the web and the book is available online. It can be down loaded for free!

Quote Originally Posted by Ropadope View Post
    Trade your wife or GF for sex. (This is mentioned in most of the post apolyptic type books, no kidding)
    Does your wife or GF have a say in this? What if you run into a gay zombie? Are you gonna give up the booty?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

About 6 months ago I converted almost all my gold and silver into ammo, 50 pound bags of (white) rice. Brown has natural oils and will go rancid sooner white lasts almost forever, canned goods I rotate in and out of stock, and a HUGE resource is your swimming pool if you have one. Cover it immediately when it becomes a resource. Fabricate a sand/charcoal filter and shrink wrap and store it to filter the pool water. You can live weeks without food. Days without water. Minutes without air.

I have ammo that I don't even have guns for.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Does your wife or GF have a say in this? What if you run into a gay zombie? Are you gonna give up the booty?
    Is the Zombie Female and gay ??

I vaccuum pack everthing. I dont smoke but have plenty of smokes for trade. People who smoke will trade almost anything to get some packs. I have lots of barter ammo also. Its all calibers that I don't have. Got to think of the ladies also. Store plenty of TP.I don't mind using leaves or moss but my wife won't. Always keep your vehicles full of gas. Never let it get below half tank.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast