Medical facts that could help save a life - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medical facts that could help save a life

Flash drive.. Great idea..

I had a friend and on a Sunday Afternoon, in a rural area, he was welding some Boiler Plate together in making a shooting range. While he was welding, two piece of plate slipped, and he instantly reacted by placing his free hand right where he had just been welding.. He burned his hand big time and was in great pain..
    He went to the local pharmacy and explained what happened.. The pharmacist said.. I can help you, but you have to close your eyes while I do it..
    The pharmacist proceeded to spread something on my friends hand. After a minute or so he asked my friend if he was feeling better.. My friend agreed that much of the pain was gone..
    The pharmacist then handed my friend the tube of Preparation H, and told him to re-apply as necessary..

Hey, it shrinks swelling and numbs pain, right.. So in a pinch, you now know what works well as a burn creme..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

a question for the medics......

is there a danger from toxic shock syndrome from the tampons?
    SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE IS TRAINING TO KILL YOU. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

Quote Originally Posted by boris View Post
    is there a danger from toxic shock syndrome from the tampons?
    only if your a woman and using them for prolonged periods of time.

any body can get toxic shock syndrome, its just that due to tampon use, women have a higher likely hood of getting it. toxic shock syndrome is caused by bacterial infections. Just to give you an ideal of how rare it is you should know that only about 3 to 10 deaths are reported in California every year. Most of those deaths are caused by (yes this is true) women forgetting to remove or change the tampon for several days even weeks.

more info than you prolly wanted to know, hope that answered your question though.

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1ofmany30 View Post

any body can get toxic shock syndrome, its just that due to tampon use, women have a higher likely hood of getting it. toxic shock syndrome is caused by bacterial infections. Just to give you an ideal of how rare it is you should know that only about 3 to 10 deaths are reported in California every year. Most of those deaths are caused by (yes this is true) women forgetting to remove or change the tampon for several days even weeks.

more info than you prolly wanted to know, hope that answered your question though.
    i have heard of men dying from this as well and knew it was associated with tampons and i thought it was weird as to where a guy would stick them. { do not answer that!!!** there was a wrestler who died in japan from it he was from the ft. worth area .
    SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE IS TRAINING TO KILL YOU. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

What's funny is that someone mentioned Maxi Pads in a humerous way, but trauma dressings are way too similar and they's work pretty well if that's all you had available.

Gauze pads work well for bleeders because they help the platelets form a matrix to aid clotting because of how they are woven, at least they superficially help. Sometimes, that's enough to buy you significant time.

What's interesting is how military and civilian pre-hospital medicine have become so intermixed with the best of both being used more universally. I've held a paramedic card for over three decades now with a lot of teaching experience.

And I agree with the guys that said that a good EMT class is always a good idea. They're still free in many areas especially if you agree to volunteer time at a local volunteer ambulance service. No better experience and you give something back to the community. You cannot learn it all in the classroom.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ofmany30 View Post

EEEEeeeeeewwwwwww!!!!
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

+1. I keep liquid Benydryl on hand to combat my sinus allergies that I get and I take some before going out side to do yard work. My Vet also suggests keeping it to give my dog if she gets an allergy attack and said if she is stung by bees or bit by a spider to give it to her before bringing her in as it might save her life.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Oh my goodness, you all are cracking me up! roflmfao!

On a serious note, if that's possible in this thread, do you all know that tampons have little strings, pads do not? Seems like there is a little bit of confusion on a few of the posts in here.

I'm of the mind that a pressure bandage works the best for stopping the bleeding. I'm not a fan of invasive procedures. I'm not a doc or a medic but I had the same basic training that y'all had and never once were we told to use tampons for bullet wounds. I was taught that we just don't stick things into people.

Signing off. Back to chuckling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12