Sources of meat - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sources of meat

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    Timon the meerkat and Pumba the warthog eats bugs, don't they???
    I'll save my share for them in case they get hungry.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    I'll save my share for them in case they get hungry.
    Gotta fatten up Poombah before his debut on my dinner table. While on various military exercises, we've eaten anything from Mynah birds and Cattle Egrets to Mongoose and feral cats. One of the guys joked that he felt like "Alf" when we ate the cat. Meat wasn't too bad considering we boiled the crap out of it and made a fairly nice size pot of soup.

When you're hungry, just about anything tastes good.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Gotta fatten up Poombah before his debut on my dinner table. While on various military exercises, we've eaten anything from Mynah birds and Cattle Egrets to Mongoose and feral cats. One of the guys joked that he felt like "Alf" when we ate the cat. Meat wasn't too bad considering we boiled the crap out of it and made a fairly nice size pot of soup.

When you're hungry, just about anything tastes good. gf
    I ate mice, snake and cat's meat when we went to HK -- compliment of a friend who was a chef there...I didn't know until we were back home much, much, much later when I was told -- to late to throw up. The snake was prepared like jerky. I didn't know what to think...
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    Any fowl is edible but parasites are common...cook completely
    Almost all mammals are edible but in regards to the Possum...I have to be pretty hungry and its gotta be cooked to a crisp to kill all the parasites.
    Fish are another story...not all are edible.
    Snakes edible but potentially dangerous...(must be skinned, gutted and have all venom glands removed on dangerous varieties)
    Turtles, hard to clean...easy to cook
    bugs...Usually a good idea to cook completely (Grubworms that are battered and fried taste like shrimp no kidding and don't ask just know that it was a missionary that taught me that)
    I guess I've eaten just about all of that Festus. I've eaten bugs of various types when someone showed me how to cook them in a survival school. Not bad, some were pretty darn tasty. Really... they were. As for the rest of it, I'm from Louisiana. Cajuns down here eat anything that walks, runs, flies, swims, slithers, or is slower that the cajun trying to catch it. I've eaten coon and possum and it was good, but you have to know the secret to cooking them. If I walk out in my back yard, the word is: Moooooo!!! I have access to fresh beef, Chicken, and Turkey. Guineas too, if you can catch 'em. In addition, for now, the woods around my house are full of deer, rabbits, squirrels, birds or various types, and other assorted critters like you mentioned. You'd be surprised what people will eat when they are hungry. Which is why Cajun cuisine ended up using things like crawfish and nutrea. You can imagine landing here in the 1600's with nothing but swamps and mosquitoes and hurricanes. So crawfish and nutrea when you're hungry? Mmmmmm Tasty!!!
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

i wonder....

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    Any fowl is edible but parasites are common...cook completely
    Almost all mammals are edible but in regards to the Possum...I have to be pretty hungry and its gotta be cooked to a crisp to kill all the parasites.
    Fish are another story...not all are edible.
    Snakes edible but potentially dangerous...(must be skinned, gutted and have all venom glands removed on dangerous varieties)
    Turtles, hard to clean...easy to cook
    bugs...Usually a good idea to cook completely (Grubworms that are battered and fried taste like shrimp no kidding and don't ask just know that it was a missionary that taught me that)
    is there a website that talks about skills the missionaries need to survive in some of those places where tey are sent?
    SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE IS TRAINING TO KILL YOU. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

Exclamation That is a great question!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boris View Post
    is there a website that talks about skills the missionaries need to survive in some of those places where tey are sent?
    This might take some research but man what a resource that would be...BORIS you have set me in motion on a mission! Dang It Man you know which questions to ask don't ya!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

I live in South Louisiana. The Cajuns eat anything that doesn't outrun them. If it slithers, crawls, walks, runs, swims, digs, flies or acts like it's going to land, they have a recipe for it. My wife is true Cajun. Her Parents and Grandparents barely spoke English. She can cook just about anything and make a meal. Sometimes I just don't ask what it is. I just eat. But in a SHTF situation, she can make a feast out of a can of beans, Tabasco, cornmeal and something running across the property. Shoots it and cleans it too. You gotta love a woman like that.
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

You know...it makes me wonder - How many Patriots know how to kill, gut,skin and cook a critter? How many hunt? I consider these the most basic of survival skills.

Me, I like that old country song (Hank Williams Jr, I think): "A country boy can survive".

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    I have had rabbit but not in a long time From what I can remember it was not bad. Now eating bugs that might be another thing. I might have to become a vegetarian.
    Do you know the definition of a Vegetarian? Bad Hunter!
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

I better not let my wife see me reading this topic. She won't eat beef that came straight from the butcher. I don't know where she thinks Walmart gets it from, but whatever. I've been trying to get her to try "weird" stuff for ten years now, I give up. I figure if it really comes down to it, she'll eat it if she needs to.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12