Thread: Communications in a comm-out environment

Exclamation Communications in a comm-out environment

Communications in a comm-out environment

Man that is a mouthful!
    You can't trust/use radios
    Cell Phones are a dead give away.

Go back a few decades.

Notes and drops.

Predetermined signals are the most secure way to communicate in a comm-out environment.
    Clothespins left on a line in a coded manner for example.
    A small piece of tape on an item.
    A very boring book at the library; A predetermined list of pages and counted words or letters.
    These are all ways to communicate.
    Yes I know this is all pretty cloak and dagger.
    Research moonshiners, hobos and the cold war and you will find very efficient ways to transfer information that are mostly secure.

The best way to hide something is in plain sight.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    Communications in a comm-out environment

Man that is a mouthful!
    You can't trust/use radios
    Cell Phones are a dead give away.

Go back a few decades.

Notes and drops.

Predetermined signals are the most secure way to communicate in a comm-out environment.
    Clothespins left on a line in a coded manner for example.
    A small piece of tape on an item.
    A very boring book at the library; A predetermined list of pages and counted words or letters.
    These are all ways to communicate.
    Yes I know this is all pretty cloak and dagger.
    Research moonshiners, hobos and the cold war and you will find very efficient ways to transfer information that are mostly secure.

The best way to hide something is in plain sight.
    Or, quilts hung outside on the fences or clotheslines on the way to Canada...

I guess it all depends on to whom you are trying to communicate to. Along with what you are trying to communicate, and why.
    If you are in a hostile environment where you know the normal means are being monitored and the gestapo is breathing down your neck, then sure your secret squirel tactics may come in handy.

Otherwise in a PAW scenario you may want to change what you want to accomplish. If you are trying to find out if you are the only survivor in an area you may want to try something a little more drastic. Of course you might not want those out there to find you either. There intentions may not be as friendly as yours. And in a true survival situation, I'm sure that there will be fighting for whatever resources are left.

If you for some reason want to shoot a message to the other side of the planet, you may want to scrounge around some military bases. I know that they have radio equipment specifically designed to function after a nuclear strike.

another method would be the ever popular soup cans with string. Just watch the Progesso soup ads to see this method in action.

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    another method would be the ever popular soup cans with string. Just watch the Progesso soup ads to see this method in action.

Ha!! That's what I do when my phone doesn't get service!

Last year when I was at Gitmo, I picked up 4 rechargeable TriSquare digital radios. They operate on the upper 900mhz band, are digitally encrypted and have 1000 channels. They still emit RF which would be detectable but without the right equipment would be impossible to eavesdrop on. During each transmission/receive cycle, a code is transmitted to the other units telling which frequency and code to use. Since they transmit and receive on different channels thatís 1000 x 1000 possible frequency combination's and its always changing. Range can be short in buildings but line of site communication is upwards of 100 miles according to the manual. My personal best is about 16 miles so far. The rechargeable batteries can be replaced with AA batteries if recharging is not an option. Might come in handy one of these days. But if all else fails there is still the tin cans and string.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain