Firestarting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firestarting

Firestarting

The bow drill is probably my favorite method of survival fire starting. I was practicing today and took some video of it.
    YouTube - Bow Drill Fire Starting

I use cedar for both the spindle and the fireboard.
    What is your favorite method of fire-starting?

My personal favorite is the 9v battery and steel wool. Seriously, I find it a lot easier to keep a nice supply of electric ignition cigarette lighters on hand as well as a bunch of strike anywhere matches.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Exclamation i LIKE THE MAG BLOCK AND STEEL MATCH

I have used the magnesium block/steel match for years. It has never failed me but it is a little hard on the knife!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by Sights on Target View Post
    The bow drill is probably my favorite method of survival fire starting. I was practicing today and took some video of it.
    YouTube - Bow Drill Fire Starting

I use cedar for both the spindle and the fireboard.
    What is your favorite method of fire-starting?
    Nice work, You also asked what my favorite would be.... I have to be honest.... Zippo...
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ricbak View Post
    Nice work, You also asked what my favorite would be.... I have to be honest.... Zippo...
    I was thinking basically the same thing. An Ammo can full of disposable lighters or an Ammo can full of Butane and refillable lighters.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

While the more "primitive" methods are pretty cool, like this one, I see no reason not to use "technology" which is available to us, like Zippos.

Even though I may have a quantity of lighters put back you could get into a situation where you don't have them available. I never carry something to start a fire and could find myself in a situation needing to make a fire. Knowing how to make fire from scratch could save your life. Survival means adapting and overcoming.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Even though I may have a quantity of lighters put back you could get into a situation where you don't have them available. I never carry something to start a fire and could find myself in a situation needing to make a fire. Knowing how to make fire from scratch could save your life. Survival means adapting and overcoming.
    True enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    That kind of reminds me of a line in "We Were Soldiers":
    Lt. Colonel Hal Moore: I think you oughta get yourself an M-16.
    Sergeant Major Basil Plumley: Sir, if the time comes I need one, there'll be plenty lying on the ground.
    Semper Fi

11. I got me some flint and some neat steel pieces. I also have a magnesium bar and a waterproof wooden match holder for backup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast