shooting glasses you best friend

Thread: shooting glasses you best friend

Exclamation shooting glasses you best friend

shooting glasses you best friend...

Take a look at all the special operations photos you can find. Every last operator has his eyeballs covered with a z87 rated safety glasses. This is no accident. Your eyeballs are your primary sensors. You cannot fight if you cannot sight! Lens color is important for your environment. Clear for dusk to dawn ops. Yellow for low light (in the woods and some urban) ops.
    Tinted for desert/arctic ops.

You must be able to see just as you must be able to move. Get used to putting them on and leaving them on.
    Don't touch the lenses. You will not have time to clean in combat. A fingerprint in the middle of your sighting area is annoying as hell and could cost you dearly. Save cleaning for basecamp/home. You only have to have a case rupture once to know that your eyes are not replaceable and eyeball safety is non-negotiable.

Choosing a style is important. If you get a lens with too much curve, your vision will be distorted. You may get eyestrain. You get what you pay for. With one exception...Sunglasses...these are not adequate! Unless they have a z87 rating, don't bother.

Stay safe and stay sharp! See everything once and don't look back!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

+1. I always wear a pair of Polycarbonate glasses when I shoot.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

I have been in bi's for 16 years, I have a couple sets of Industrial Safety glasses with side shields that I wear at the ranges. BUT what drives this home is a brother lost an eye when he as just 13 watching somebody else work on a car. Somebody hammering on a car part and it shattered. It was a really small piece of metal but hit the eye in just the right spot (Wrong spot) to take out the retina.
    At the out door ranges here in the area, there are no dividers between shooters, and brass does fly... It is so much easier to be safe....
    Semper Fi

I shoot every Monday night at our range and some of the shooters like myself need their prescription glasses which don't usually fit under a pair of shooting glasses. Now anyone who knows me, also knows that I hate spending money on anything but a new pistol. It is for this reason that I did some research and found a company that sells prescription goggles. They call them wind goggles, but they are just as impact resistant, and even more scratch resistant as any shooting glasses. For around 25.00 to start you can have a wide choice of single vision shooting goggles/glasses as long as you have the prescription from your eye doctor to follow. You will need it when ordering to plug in the numbers when you have selected a pair that will suit your needs. Ever since I got mine, everyone at the club now wants to know where to get them, and why they are so cheap. They're cheap because you are dealing with the factory, and not some mall shop or independent ripping you off for hundreds of dollars for a name that is stuck on the side of them, even though most of their regular glasses look the same as high end.
    festus I couldn't agree more about the glasses, and the need for them, but I won't pay for a name. (Not that you mentioned any) Do yourself a favor everybody and check out this sight:
    Zenni Optical - Complete prescription eyeglasses from $8.00
    It will take you about 2 weeks or less to get your new glasses but you won't have to pay 400+ for them either. Enjoy the sight and if you can't figure out how to use it give them a call or contact me. Save that extra money for a new gun.

Quote Originally Posted by ricbak View Post
    I have been in bi's for 16 years, I have a couple sets of Industrial Safety glasses with side shields that I wear at the ranges. BUT what drives this home is a brother lost an eye when he as just 13 watching somebody else work on a car. Somebody hammering on a car part and it shattered. It was a really small piece of metal but hit the eye in just the right spot (Wrong spot) to take out the retina.
    At the out door ranges here in the area, there are no dividers between shooters, and brass does fly... It is so much easier to be safe....
    I had a friend many years ago that almost lost an eye. He was changing oil on his car, did not have an oil filter wrench so decided to drive a screw driver through it to use to turn it. the end of the screw drive broke of and lodged in his eye. Only the grace of God and a good eye surgeon saved his eye.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by THE DUKE OF ESSEX View Post
    I shoot every Monday night at our range and some of the shooters like myself need their prescription glasses which don't usually fit under a pair of shooting glasses. Now anyone who knows me, also knows that I hate spending money on anything but a new pistol. It is for this reason that I did some research and found a company that sells prescription goggles. They call them wind goggles, but they are just as impact resistant, and even more scratch resistant as any shooting glasses. For around 25.00 to start you can have a wide choice of single vision shooting goggles/glasses as long as you have the prescription from your eye doctor to follow. You will need it when ordering to plug in the numbers when you have selected a pair that will suit your needs. Ever since I got mine, everyone at the club now wants to know where to get them, and why they are so cheap. They're cheap because you are dealing with the factory, and not some mall shop or independent ripping you off for hundreds of dollars for a name that is stuck on the side of them, even though most of their regular glasses look the same as high end.
    festus I couldn't agree more about the glasses, and the need for them, but I won't pay for a name. (Not that you mentioned any) Do yourself a favor everybody and check out this sight:
    Zenni Optical - Complete prescription eyeglasses from $8.00
    It will take you about 2 weeks or less to get your new glasses but you won't have to pay 400+ for them either. Enjoy the sight and if you can't figure out how to use it give them a call or contact me. Save that extra money for a new gun.
    Going to have to call them. I don't quite understand what they mean when they say not to order bifocals or progressive with this frame. Or that the frame does not match the lenses underneath? Must be missing something.
    Thanks for the heads up on less expensive shooting glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by THE DUKE OF ESSEX View Post
    VERY cool! I have been wanting to look into something like this but haven't gotten around to it yet. I wear scripts to drive, shoot, and watch TV. I HATE the kind of "shop goggles" that are worn over glasses and seal tight to your face (annoying, fog, etc.) One very bad habit I have is not protecting my eyes, almost ever (Woodworking, weed wacking, metal grinding, etc.) I have been VERY lucky so far in that I have not yet had a serious injury resulting from some sort of "shrapnel" getting in my eye. Every time it happens, it reminds me that I really need to start getting into the habit of wearing eye protection, but then I don't.

I'll definitely be checking out this site. (I promise this time)
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

I don't use Bi-focal lenses to shoot with so the problem of shooting with them (single vision shooting goggles) didn't come up. When I am looking downrange I am using only single vision that is where I have trouble seeing. Usually Bi-focal lenses are used for up close work or reading so I keep my regular glasses with me for that. I just ordered another pair #7002 in single vision and can't wait to get them. Hope you all save some money.