How fast can you and your gear make it out? - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How fast can you and your gear make it out?

Exclamation Ask my family...

Quote Originally Posted by 2beararms View Post
    Of course I hope not. However, although I am not fanatical about festus's under one minute bug out, there is a lot of truth in being ready for under one minute, which means that in the real world, your stuff will be in one place and your real time will be acceptable.

If I waited to put together that single "bag",which may be multiples, or vests or what-ever, it is likely nothing would ever really be in one place and my time would be more like an hour or more.

I never considered a rush here, because what we face here mostly is hurricanes which tend to give a lot of warning ... then came the fires! When in areas just a few miles from me they came down the streets and told people to get in their cars and leave ... NOW! The urgency started getting clearer. You are going to move and you are going to take what you can grab, so the more that stuff is organized, the more you will wind up with you when you do have to go.

Of course, after watching the aftermath of these recent earthquakes, the unfortunate realization is a minute may be way too long!
    I can be a real SOB about standards and getting it out the door. I hate to be late going anywhere. My oldest tries my patience daily about this...now the younger does too. But they can get their stuff and go in under a minute. I am happy with that. I keep the gas tank in the RV full for a reason. At 50MPH it is a better than 600 mile range one way. I also hardly ever drive the Interstates. They are going to be jammed with pathetic unprepared sheeple. I do not want to deal with them in a bad situation.

When we lived in VA. Surry NUKE Plant had a warning drill once...it scared the crap out of me. Made me a real believer in family readiness.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Ha, well lets see if I can remember everything.

I got a duffel that I've reinforced and added padding to due to the weight. Inside I've got a broken down mossberg wrapped in a tarp. Broken down to save space, with smaller components in baggies. Tarp to keep it from being scuffed and damaged, and because the tarp can be used for shelter.

There's also a bunch of MRE's and Ramen, water filtration items, hard candy, gum, and a small pan to cook in. I've also got a waterproof case of matches, flint and steel, and a book of edible plants on the east coast (not big on eating anything I don't already know, but it could come in handy).

I've got 100 rounds for the shotgun, .45 acp and 9mm. Two hunting knives, multitool, a hatchet, sharpening stone, first aid kit, and a small bundle of wire that I can use from everything to setting snares (hunting, not human) or to....tie stuff up. Got a change of clothing, a bunch of socks and a pair of boots as well as a water proof shell to an old jacket. There's also a few flash lights and some spare batteries, fishing line and hooks, and some salt,pepper and spices. You can make just about anything taste good with the right spices. I should mention everything (just about everything) is wrapped in garbage bags, not only does it keep things a little more organized but the bags can be used for shelter, collecting water, poncho, etc. To top it off I got a fifth of bookers and a bottle of glacier vodka.

I'm probably forgetting some stuff, the whole kit weighs about 60lbs. Not so heavy I can't carry it across my back, but heavy enough I can't run to fast with it. Which is why I've also got a vest with one of my Kimbers and pretty much a lighter version of my duffle. There's some food, ammo, knife, canteen, matches, etc.

If I'm leaving in a hurry I'll grab the double barrel by the bag in my closet, I use it in case of home defense needs, but being a large bore shotgun it should clear whatever is outside of the door before I need to drop it. If I have some extra time I'll grab the .410/.45lc by the bed, it's a nice revolver that would come in handy. Hopefully I'm wearing my Kahr when I need to book it, if not it's also by the bed when not in use-hence the 9mm ammo in the duffle. If I'm not in a rush and can take two trips (and can take my car, as stuff's getting heavy at this point) I'd grab my camping backpack, which has my tent and sleeping bag as well as a camping stove and some other stuff that would make survival a little more comfortable. On my second trip I'd also go to my safe and collect a rifle, probably my mini 14 as it's compact and has a large capacity. Some ammo to go along with it and some shells for my 8ga, as I really love that shotgun.

I can grab my bag and vest in about 50 seconds. Add another 20 seconds to get a leash on my dog and I'm out the door. Of course if the stuff has hit the fan I'll probably go out the window in under 30 if I toss the duffle through it first.
    Accipere quam facere praestat injuriam

I do not have a vest like you people do, but I got some food and supplies and emergency kits (bandaids, eye wash, etc.) at the back of my SUV for us all (hubby, me and doggies) to survived with when the SHTF, got two each of loaded magazines for each of our CC guns in my car within reach. When we dressed up in the yawning, our CC and wallet are already a part of dressing up as soon as our feet hits the carpet. In case it will be an emergency to get out of the house before brushing our teeth, then so be it, we're out of there in under a minute.

I am pretty well organized. What is the use of your ammo when you everyone around you are in a hurry to go somewhere to each his own sort of thing? Will the supermarkets be opened then so you can buy food? The back of my SUV is an extension of my pantry in the kitchen and my supplies in the basement. I don't have as much food stashed at the back of my car, but I can assure you that my doggies will have at least a few weeks supplies of dry food and my husband and I can live with my various home-made jerkies and be able to be economical with water to drink. Our guns, ammo and doggies will put the perps some distance away from us...

"Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Exclamation You can make fun of what you want...

Quote Originally Posted by MightyPirate View Post
    Ha, well lets see if I can remember everything.

I got a duffel that I've reinforced and added padding to due to the weight. Inside I've got a broken down mossberg wrapped in a tarp. Broken down to save space, with smaller components in baggies. Tarp to keep it from being scuffed and damaged, and because the tarp can be used for shelter.

There's also a bunch of MRE's and Ramen, water filtration items, hard candy, gum, and a small pan to cook in. I've also got a waterproof case of matches, flint and steel, and a book of edible plants on the east coast (not big on eating anything I don't already know, but it could come in handy).

I've got 100 rounds for the shotgun, .45 acp and 9mm. Two hunting knives, multitool, a hatchet, sharpening stone, first aid kit, and a small bundle of wire that I can use from everything to setting snares (hunting, not human) or to....tie stuff up. Got a change of clothing, a bunch of socks and a pair of boots as well as a water proof shell to an old jacket. There's also a few flash lights and some spare batteries, fishing line and hooks, and some salt,pepper and spices. You can make just about anything taste good with the right spices. I should mention everything (just about everything) is wrapped in garbage bags, not only does it keep things a little more organized but the bags can be used for shelter, collecting water, poncho, etc. To top it off I got a fifth of bookers and a bottle of glacier vodka.

I'm probably forgetting some stuff, the whole kit weighs about 60lbs. Not so heavy I can't carry it across my back, but heavy enough I can't run to fast with it. Which is why I've also got a vest with one of my Kimbers and pretty much a lighter version of my duffle. There's some food, ammo, knife, canteen, matches, etc.

If I'm leaving in a hurry I'll grab the double barrel by the bag in my closet, I use it in case of home defense needs, but being a large bore shotgun it should clear whatever is outside of the door before I need to drop it. If I have some extra time I'll grab the .410/.45lc by the bed, it's a nice revolver that would come in handy. Hopefully I'm wearing my Kahr when I need to book it, if not it's also by the bed when not in use-hence the 9mm ammo in the duffle. If I'm not in a rush and can take two trips (and can take my car, as stuff's getting heavy at this point) I'd grab my camping backpack, which has my tent and sleeping bag as well as a camping stove and some other stuff that would make survival a little more comfortable. On my second trip I'd also go to my safe and collect a rifle, probably my mini 14 as it's compact and has a large capacity. Some ammo to go along with it and some shells for my 8ga, as I really love that shotgun.

I can grab my bag and vest in about 50 seconds. Add another 20 seconds to get a leash on my dog and I'm out the door. Of course if the stuff has hit the fan I'll probably go out the window in under 30 if I toss the duffle through it first.
    You can make fun of what you want...How we mock what we don't understand. I have my Equipment down to less than 25 lbs less rifle. This is the stuff I want on my body in a I've gotta go event. It is not about big brother. It is about personal readiness. It is about being organized. It is about being able to leave in front of wild fires, tsunnami warnings, riots what have you. none of us here are MAD MAX or ELI or any other post apocolyptic character. You should try to get the weight of your equipment down to a manageable level. If you would have gotten good quality gear, you would not have to pad and reinforce it.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Not quite sure where I made fun of anyone, other than my own poor memory. My current area of living could use a smaller bag, however where I used to live was in short-the boonies. Five miles to the closest lousy convenience store, 15 miles to any recognizable city. In the winters it regularly drops down into the negative temperatures. Even four wheel drive truck's won't get you to where you need to go. So I don't find it all laughable to have the materials to build a shelter, filtrate some water and hunker down. Because even with the warmest clothing the weather is inhospitable enough to kill you. Which is also the reason for a change of clothing, because if your cotton clothing gets wet you'd be better off naked in the cold. And God forbid I'm injured I have what I need to hold out for the long run, I probably should have mentioned the signaling mirror and flares.

Is a lot of the stuff excessive? Sure, but it has nothing to do with Big Brother. I may be slightly crazy, but I don't think some sort of global disaster is completely out of the question. Whether it's Tsunami's, Volcano's...freaking Zombies I have what I need to live. And if need be I have the bare basics in my vest, which is probably about 15lbs. Being 22 years of age, 6'2" and in pretty decent shape a 60 lb bag is not all that bad. I hiked over half the Appalachin Trail in one go, and my bag weighed a hell of a lot more than 60lbs. The reinforcing was done to prevent items from poking me in the back. Most bags only have padding on the straps, not the bag itself which is where things really start to chafe after awhile. I have yet to find an actual backpack that can hold as much as a duffle, which is why I don't have "quality" gear. So excuse me if you thought I at any point made fun of YOU. The only point I ever made any joke in that post that I can see (granted I'm having a bout of insomnia and haven't slept much the last four days) was about myself and my own memory.

Sorry about that...

Quote Originally Posted by MightyPirate View Post
    Not quite sure where I made fun of anyone, other than my own poor memory. My current area of living could use a smaller bag, however where I used to live was in short-the boonies. Five miles to the closest lousy convenience store, 15 miles to any recognizable city. In the winters it regularly drops down into the negative temperatures. Even four wheel drive truck's won't get you to where you need to go. So I don't find it all laughable to have the materials to build a shelter, filtrate some water and hunker down. Because even with the warmest clothing the weather is inhospitable enough to kill you. Which is also the reason for a change of clothing, because if your cotton clothing gets wet you'd be better off naked in the cold. And God forbid I'm injured I have what I need to hold out for the long run, I probably should have mentioned the signaling mirror and flares.

Is a lot of the stuff excessive? Sure, but it has nothing to do with Big Brother. I may be slightly crazy, but I don't think some sort of global disaster is completely out of the question. Whether it's Tsunami's, Volcano's...freaking Zombies I have what I need to live. And if need be I have the bare basics in my vest, which is probably about 15lbs. Being 22 years of age, 6'2" and in pretty decent shape a 60 lb bag is not all that bad. I hiked over half the Appalachin Trail in one go, and my bag weighed a hell of a lot more than 60lbs. The reinforcing was done to prevent items from poking me in the back. Most bags only have padding on the straps, not the bag itself which is where things really start to chafe after awhile. I have yet to find an actual backpack that can hold as much as a duffle, which is why I don't have "quality" gear. So excuse me if you thought I at any point made fun of YOU. The only point I ever made any joke in that post that I can see (granted I'm having a bout of insomnia and haven't slept much the last four days) was about myself and my own memory.
    Sorry about that the tenor of some of your other posts caused my kneejerk reaction. I apologize. I have seen some military rucks that could hold a hell of a lot of gear, go on your back, and give you a place to strap your duffle to it. The alcohol you mentioned is good trading material, medical sanitation, fire starting etc. I may add some to my kit!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

You forgot morale booster.

Long as I have my AR and a couple hundred rounds I can pretty much get everything else I need.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

Anybody have any input on MRE's. Last time I check, you can get a 30 day supply for about $ 200.00. Haven't bought any yet but figured the wife and I could split one daily if the need arises. If you vacume seal the whole case and keep them in moderate temps they'll store for about 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    Long as I have my AR and a couple hundred rounds I can pretty much get everything else I need.
    Or get you shot by the guy that also has the AR and intends to protect what he worked for.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast