How fast can you and your gear make it out? - Page 6
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: How fast can you and your gear make it out?

wolfhunter Guest
    Duke, being ready to go is just one step. Assessing YOUR position, determining where you CAN go, and planning ways to get there are the other steps.

You are 100% correct. Bugging out with what you can carry, and no destination, will most likely leave you in a worse situation.

Thank you wolfhunter, this has been a nagging question of mine ever since the election of B.O. The wife and I had considered a class A motorhome again, but still....where to go if things get bad. Everything we think we know about survival will change when the Blue Hats, and the new 6000 person, personal army of Der fuhrer is everywhere like Master card and Visa.
    GOD HELP US ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by THE DUKE OF ESSEX View Post
    Thank you wolfhunter, this has been a nagging question of mine ever since the election of B.O. The wife and I had considered a class A motorhome again, but still....where to go if things get bad. Everything we think we know about survival will change when the Blue Hats, and the new 6000 person, personal army of Der fuhrer is everywhere like Master card and Visa.
    GOD HELP US ALL!
    I have about 1 1/2 years until I can retire. The small motor home is something we are considering. I would like to do some traveling anyway and I could have it equipped and ready to go if the need arises to get out. I just hope everything holds together until I can do that. The way things are going there are no guarantees.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

wolfhunter Guest
    If you can, get a "summer home" in the boonies somewhere. If you can't make a good friend of someone with a place in the boonies. Either way, work to prepare and stock that location so your bug out gear will only have to get you there plus a contingency factor.

GOD HELP US ALL!
    Duke, my husband and I have a class A motor home. They are absolutely wonderful for leisurely RV adventures. But, for bug out situations...not so much. They are gas hogs, stand out like a sore thumb (would attract unwanted attention from rioters who would want to take it from you) and are not designed for off road travel. We've purchased cocoon style sleeping bags rated for -30 degrees and have a cross bow for shooting small game for food (silent hunting is good). We would probably choose to set off on foot. There is a woods not too far from our home where we could head for immediate cover. After that...???

Like you said, "Everything we think we know about survival will change when the Blue Hats, and the new 6000 person, personal army of Der fuhrer is everywhere."
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

I read somewhere if a person can hunker down in their home with plenty of food and water for about a month, at the end of that time, the rioters and those seeking sustenance and/or a place to stay, would probably have moved on to another area. I don't know what to believe, as obviously none of us has ever had to deal with such a situation in these "easy living, modern conveniences times".

Guess we'll all just have to let the Lord lead us! The Holy Spirit will speak to us, if we listen!
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

My wife and I used to travel the states between Ohio and Nevada for years. We had a 36ft Airstream class A Landyacht. On one of our visits to Nevada passing over the Hoover Dam we were stopped by local law enforcement at a roadblock / checkpoint because someone had threatened to blow up the Dam. Not only did we have to let them into our traveling home, we were questioned about every drawer, closet, bed, etc... I had to open up all the outside storage compartments as well. Once we were cleared to proceed, I mentioned to my wife: Hey they never asked me about the 100lbs. propane tank which was mounted sideways up front behind the passenger side wheel well, as all of them are on that model. I guess it never occurred to them what that could do to a Dam if we were terrorist's. Anyway thanks for the information, and I think I'll be asking someone from our gun club about a place to stay should everything go up in smoke.

I have made no provision to leave within one minute. We could probably because my BOB is stationed near the front entrance, rifle within arms reach of it, and other goodies very close to it. We are bug in folks but have a virtual home placed in military Aluminum Shipping containers. We also keep several empty flip tops in order to sweep our pantries and stored items. We keep many of our preps in milk cases which are stackable and easily handled. MREs by the cases would go into the one ton also. We have a couple of sheets of plywood cut to fit the top of the pipe rack posts that gives another loading deck. We have plenty of cargo straps to secure everything to the top. Then we back up to the 22' camper and "skidaddle" to predetermined points along known routes with alternate routes already planned. The Berkey goes into a 20 gal. plastic barrel that doubles as a chair or water container or????
    So, we have food, shelter, first aid, com(short wave/CB/hand helds), arms, and ammo and out the drive in under 30 minutes with the potential of never coming back. In a real pinch we could probably cut it to 10 minutes-according to how many of our grown children are here. One is back from Montana and one in college. W/O them it would take a few more minutes to go completely mobile.
    My biggest danger in Central NC is from Chem spills or nuke trouble. Just for BO. Personally, I can be out in about a minute with arms, provisions, first aid, and com. Just don't plan on doing it.

The frozen tundra!! Also known as Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative Wife & Mom View Post
    I read somewhere if a person can hunker down in their home with plenty of food and water for about a month, at the end of that time, the rioters and those seeking sustenance and/or a place to stay, would probably have moved on to another area.
    I honestly don't think thats true for all areas. I live in Saint Paul and I am pretty sure theres enough people who are highly likely to be the rioters that I'm betting I could see a different rioting group every day for 6 months without a break, or seeing the same group of people twice. I'd deffinetly have to leave this place FAST!

For that I have a good 4x4 truck and a several "tools of the trade" to get me almost anywhere. I'm starting to teach my family how to read maps, and found out last night that google earth now accepts MGRS grids PLUS has an MGRS overlay available. Its GREAT for using protractors and a compass for land nav without a GPS. Just don't forget your pacecount!
    MN Permit to Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, PPITH
    NRA Life Member, 3 x Iraq War Vet

My wife and I used to travel the states between Ohio and Nevada for years. We had a 36ft Airstream class A Landyacht. On one of our visits to Nevada passing over the Hoover Dam we were stopped by local law enforcement at a roadblock / checkpoint because someone had threatened to blow up the Dam. Not only did we have to let them into our traveling home, we were questioned about every drawer, closet, bed, etc... I had to open up all the outside storage compartments as well. Once we were cleared to proceed, I mentioned to my wife: Hey they never asked me about the 100lbs. propane tank which was mounted sideways up front behind the passenger side wheel well, as all of them are on that model. I guess it never occurred to them what that could do to a Dam if we were terrorist's. Anyway thanks for the information, and I think I'll be asking someone from our gun club about a place to stay should everything go up in smoke.
    i wonder what they would have done if you had ask them for a search warrant?

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast