How fast can you and your gear make it out? - Page 7
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: How fast can you and your gear make it out?

Exclamation I was talking with a buddy at work today...

I was talking with a buddy at work today...looks like he is going to go with both a vest and a bob for himself and the wife if he needs to bolt. His original plan of two bobs did not work out well for him...this is why...what stuff is in what bag? what if you drop a bag and do not have the option of getting it back? It is also easier to wear it than to carry it.

Plan ahead and get it out the door in 1 minute or less. That is the first step in any good bug out plan. After that you are on your own. I have helped you as much as I can.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Festus,
    I have searched for the Survival Inc website you have on your Survival Vests 101 page. Think I found it "Ultimate Survival Technologies" (http://www.ultimatesurvival.com/) but it appears that you can only setup an account if you are a LEO/First Responders or Military/Government. Do you know of an online retailer that sells their equipment?
    True Then and True Today - We must be prepared at all times to defend ourselves and those we love.

Exclamation Glad to!

Quote Originally Posted by skipster View Post
    Festus,
    I have searched for the Survival Inc website and cannot find the one with the vest you have on your Survival Vests 101 page. Can you please provide the link to their website.
    They changed their name but the product is still top drawer
    Ultimate Survival Technologies | Survival Equipment
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

bug out

i have a tactical vest that hols most of my extra clips and have a but pack on it, i have my tent cammo net and british sas sniper hide on ti ,ammo can has extra clips and ammo. goto gun is next to bed as well as pistol. ammo can also has rice,ect and black trash bags to build solar stills. i keep the car full and have a viet-nam era paratroopers weapons carrier that doubles as a shooting mat. i can crt out in 1.5 min.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    I practice what I plan.
    Yes, it's nice to ave all the goodies so your camping trip rivals a stay at the Hilton, but if you had to, could you grab the essentials and be out the door in time? If you did get out, would you be able to live 2 days without your wife's lounge chairs?

Try dropping off in the woods with whatever is on your person at this moment and surviving a month, or even a week.

If there's enough warning, I've got the camp box and all that to live VERY well. Load up and go in 2 hours. That's simple.

Festus posed a "what if" scenario and answers like AR's just demonstrate a refusal to prepare.
    Huh?

Yup, it's called the Mayflower course, (Advanced SERE now) and it's 2 weeks surviving in the jungle with nothing more than BDU and web gear (Canteen, canteen cup, canteen cover, web belt, pack straps (Dog Straps for Marine Grunts of old school) and bayonet with sheath...

You are dropped off with a map, compass in the middle of nowhere, and you have to navigate 10 to 15 miles of JUNGLE every day for 13 days with Check In stations you MUST show up at along the way...
    You have NO IDEA where they are dumping you out at, or which way the course runs..

Rivers, mountains, rain forest, jungle... Just Kicks your butt!

NO MREs, (or in those days, 'C' rations) no water beyond the quart in your canteen, nothing but an 18" lanyard of Para Cord, your bayonet and canteen/cup...
    That's where I learned to put para cord on EVERYTHING, even lacing my boots with it or using extra long shoe laces and warping the top of the boot with the excess...

Some of us were 'Country Kids' and replaced that dinky little wet stone in the knife sheath with a fire starter, and I had two zip lock quart bags stuck down in my canteen cover, I ALWAYS traveled with them...

Gained 6 pounds and completed the course 4 days early, they made me camp outsde the gate for the last 4 days!
    And participate in finding the 'Lost' guys on the course when they didn't check in!

Living off the land isn't hard if you aren't picky about what you eat...
    Turtles are one of my FAVORITE FOODS, and there were fish, birds, snakes and all manner of edible plants or parts of plants...
    That's not the issue...

The issue is...
    IS LIFE WORTH LIVING WITHOUT SOME OF THE THINGS THAT MAKE IT EASIER!?

I like to cook in a pan, canteen cup isn't really big enough for a reasonable meal and it makes for a LOUSY hot water tank so you can wash up!
    Yes, I've used my handkerchief as toilet paper, and my under ware as a wash rag,
    that's not what I'm talking about...

NOT sleeping on the ground in the jungle is a big deal, so I spent a lot of nights in the trees, pretty high up actually.
    The bugs leave you alone more, and everything that bites, stabs, stings crawls on the jungle floor at night.

Anyone that has EVER been in a jungle knows you can't lay on the ground or you SINK into the rotting foliage, and in the morning you will be laying in rancid water covered in leaches and bug bites...

So a mosquito net is a VERY good idea if you don't want to be one giant walking bug bite,
    I would have KILLED for some DEET bug spray, but I had to settle for finding trees that work as natural bug repellant and sleeping up off the ground kept me from being leopard bait or food for the things that like to eat on humans...

And just for the record, COCONUTS are a natural laxative...
    So 'Gilligan's Island' isn't really what I'd call 'Training'!

I COULD have used some fish hooks, line, rubber bait lures,
    I COULD have used a fish net hammock, tree limbs or rock faces might keep you up and away from things that want to snack on you, but the SUCK for getting any real sleep!
    I COULD have used some water purification tablets, boiling in the canteen cup isn't a very efficient way to purify any larger quantity of water, and it's time consuming as all hell!
    And don't think getting a fire started in a rain forest is easy!

SO!
    When you run into a young banana tree, you cut it off, hollow out the stump, and let it pump fresh water up into that hollow.
    When you find a 'Water Vine', you fill up EVERYTHING that will hold water, then you drink your fill until you feel like puking!

You learn to dry fish or turtle meat out and carry it with you, the next meal ISN'T coming warped in paper with a picture of a clown on it!
    ----------------------------------------------------------

When we camp 'Impromptu', TRASH is your best friend...
    Cans make for fire proof containers, I've made hammocks out of the 'Emergency' netting they put around work sites, and I still sleep in trees when I have to.

As silly as this might seem, bugs don't fly out over water very far, so sleeping on floating docks or small islands/sand bars out in the water will keep the bugs to a minimum over night...

-----------------------------------------------------------

Go ahead and bash away,
    My 'Preparedness' is in my head, not a bag full of 'Junk' from the local 'Surplus' or 'Survival' store.

If you don't actually go out and camp 'Rough' then you aren't prepared!
    Feeding/watering yourself isn't the issue,
    It's how much actual experience you have!

Do you think the mountain men or rain forest tribes have 'Gander Mountian' catalogs?

I'm no 'Expert', but I DO have the ability to live in the 'Rough'
    Now that I'm 50 and 'disabled', I care for the finer things in life...
    Soft bed, place to sit down and rest my back without having ants crawl in my pants,
    Not having to start a fire from WET material,
    Cooking in a real pan and not some tin can or cup...
    HAVING BUG SPRAY & TOILET PAPER!

Quote Originally Posted by AR Hammer View Post
    Huh?

Yup, it's called the Mayflower course, (Advanced SERE now) and it's 2 weeks surviving in the jungle with nothing more than BDU and web gear (Canteen, canteen cup, canteen cover, web belt, pack straps (Dog Straps for Marine Grunts of old school) and bayonet with sheath...

You are dropped off with a map, compass in the middle of nowhere, and you have to navigate 10 to 15 miles of JUNGLE every day for 13 days with Check In stations you MUST show up at along the way...
    You have NO IDEA where they are dumping you out at, or which way the course runs..

Rivers, mountains, rain forest, jungle... Just Kicks your butt!

NO MREs, (or in those days, 'C' rations) no water beyond the quart in your canteen, nothing but an 18" lanyard of Para Cord, your bayonet and canteen/cup...
    That's where I learned to put para cord on EVERYTHING, even lacing my boots with it or using extra long shoe laces and warping the top of the boot with the excess...

Some of us were 'Country Kids' and replaced that dinky little wet stone in the knife sheath with a fire starter, and I had two zip lock quart bags stuck down in my canteen cover, I ALWAYS traveled with them...

Gained 6 pounds and completed the course 4 days early, they made me camp outsde the gate for the last 4 days!
    And participate in finding the 'Lost' guys on the course when they didn't check in!

Living off the land isn't hard if you aren't picky about what you eat...
    Turtles are one of my FAVORITE FOODS, and there were fish, birds, snakes and all manner of edible plants or parts of plants...
    That's not the issue...

The issue is...
    IS LIFE WORTH LIVING WITHOUT SOME OF THE THINGS THAT MAKE IT EASIER!?

I like to cook in a pan, canteen cup isn't really big enough for a reasonable meal and it makes for a LOUSY hot water tank so you can wash up!
    Yes, I've used my handkerchief as toilet paper, and my under ware as a wash rag,
    that's not what I'm talking about...

NOT sleeping on the ground in the jungle is a big deal, so I spent a lot of nights in the trees, pretty high up actually.
    The bugs leave you alone more, and everything that bites, stabs, stings crawls on the jungle floor at night.

Anyone that has EVER been in a jungle knows you can't lay on the ground or you SINK into the rotting foliage, and in the morning you will be laying in rancid water covered in leaches and bug bites...

So a mosquito net is a VERY good idea if you don't want to be one giant walking bug bite,
    I would have KILLED for some DEET bug spray, but I had to settle for finding trees that work as natural bug repellant and sleeping up off the ground kept me from being leopard bait or food for the things that like to eat on humans...

And just for the record, COCONUTS are a natural laxative...
    So 'Gilligan's Island' isn't really what I'd call 'Training'!

I COULD have used some fish hooks, line, rubber bait lures,
    I COULD have used a fish net hammock, tree limbs or rock faces might keep you up and away from things that want to snack on you, but the SUCK for getting any real sleep!
    I COULD have used some water purification tablets, boiling in the canteen cup isn't a very efficient way to purify any larger quantity of water, and it's time consuming as all hell!
    And don't think getting a fire started in a rain forest is easy!

SO!
    When you run into a young banana tree, you cut it off, hollow out the stump, and let it pump fresh water up into that hollow.
    When you find a 'Water Vine', you fill up EVERYTHING that will hold water, then you drink your fill until you feel like puking!

You learn to dry fish or turtle meat out and carry it with you, the next meal ISN'T coming warped in paper with a picture of a clown on it!
    ----------------------------------------------------------

When we camp 'Impromptu', TRASH is your best friend...
    Cans make for fire proof containers, I've made hammocks out of the 'Emergency' netting they put around work sites, and I still sleep in trees when I have to.

As silly as this might seem, bugs don't fly out over water very far, so sleeping on floating docks or small islands/sand bars out in the water will keep the bugs to a minimum over night...

-----------------------------------------------------------

Go ahead and bash away,
    My 'Preparedness' is in my head, not a bag full of 'Junk' from the local 'Surplus' or 'Survival' store.

If you don't actually go out and camp 'Rough' then you aren't prepared!
    Feeding/watering yourself isn't the issue,
    It's how much actual experience you have!

Do you think the mountain men or rain forest tribes have 'Gander Mountian' catalogs?

I'm no 'Expert', but I DO have the ability to live in the 'Rough'
    Now that I'm 50 and 'disabled', I care for the finer things in life...
    Soft bed, place to sit down and rest my back without having ants crawl in my pants,
    Not having to start a fire from WET material,
    Cooking in a real pan and not some tin can or cup...
    HAVING BUG SPRAY & TOILET PAPER!
    when i became disabled and could no longer work, i lost my place on the lake and had to live in the national forest for a year and a half. because of my training from 13 yrs. in the army and my bug out gear i was able to survive untill i got my service connected disability and 2 yrs later got my 100% from s.s. so i know i'm not a p.x. ranger.

Quote Originally Posted by oldvet53 View Post
    when i became disabled and could no longer work, i lost my place on the lake and had to live in the national forest for a year and a half. because of my training from 13 yrs. in the army and my bug out gear i was able to survive untill i got my service connected disability and 2 yrs later got my 100% from s.s. so i know i'm not a p.x. ranger.
    WOW! That SUCKS!
    Veterans, even if they were LIBRARIANS or laundry should NEVER have to live in the bushes in the USA!

There is no such thing as a 'Homeless' veteran in the UK, there are 'Old Soldier' and 'Old Navy' homes,
    Assisted living 'Apartments' for the guys, you might have a room mate, but you live INDOORS and have a private bathroom, and you never miss a meal.

If I ever hit one of those huge lotteries, I believe I would set up a fund for the 'Working Poor',
    The guys that worked every day of their lives and then try to live on Social Security... IF they can get it...
    Help with reasonable housing, eye glasses, hearing aids, ect.

Maybe some legal to get them their rightful compensation and find them jobs or volunteer work if they wanted it.
    You pretty much have to have a lawyer for EVERYTHING these days, you can't fart without a court order!
    An on staff lawyer would be a GOOD THING...

Exclamation Let's get back on topic

How fast can you and your chosen survival gear make it out the door in a crisis?
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

10. Back on topic, I think the original challenge is interesting ... as a challenge. Would the difference between a one minute bug out and a one hour bug out be likely to save your life? Maybe. Who knows?

Anyway, I'm thinking we'll give the one minute challenge a try this weekend when everyone is around. Even though there are only three of us (me, my wife and my son) we seem to be off in different directions most work/school days. I would be more concerned with getting everyone back to the house in a "real" SHTF scenario than I would getting out of the house in a minute ... but that's another topic.

I think we'll be close. We each have a BOB. I have a tactical vest loaded with 7.62X39 and .45 magazines. The bigger guns are in the safe in the basement but that should only add a few seconds. I'm 100% confident we could bug out - me with just my CC weapon - in under 30 seconds if we were just taking our BOB's. A minute to grab the guns and larger, longer-term family bag should be do-able.

I'll report back Sunday or Monday.

I can do it pretty fast once I get past the denial phase that might set in. Knowing that "this is it" no holding back may be the hard part.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast