How fast can you and your gear make it out? - Page 8
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: How fast can you and your gear make it out?

This is a most excellent thread, filled with all sorts of good-to-know info.
    I have, in a spare bedroom, all my stuff put in pretty much 1 location, under a table. If need be, I can be gone in probably 20 minutes or so. That includes all my camping gear, fishing stuff and stuff I'll need for an extended stay (water, food, etc...)
    I do have a BOB if need be, but the past few months I've gotten things out of it that I needed to use; I need to get it back in 1 piece. lol

3. Quote Originally Posted by Mudinyeri View Post
    Back on topic, I think the original challenge is interesting ... as a challenge. Would the difference between a one minute bug out and a one hour bug out be likely to save your life? Maybe. Who knows?

Anyway, I'm thinking we'll give the one minute challenge a try this weekend when everyone is around. Even though there are only three of us (me, my wife and my son) we seem to be off in different directions most work/school days. I would be more concerned with getting everyone back to the house in a "real" SHTF scenario than I would getting out of the house in a minute ... but that's another topic.

I think we'll be close. We each have a BOB. I have a tactical vest loaded with 7.62X39 and .45 magazines. The bigger guns are in the safe in the basement but that should only add a few seconds. I'm 100% confident we could bug out - me with just my CC weapon - in under 30 seconds if we were just taking our BOB's. A minute to grab the guns and larger, longer-term family bag should be do-able.

I'll report back Sunday or Monday.
    RESULTS

Bug out with just CC weapon and personal bags: 22.78 seconds

Bug out with personal bags, additional weapons and family bag: 57.89 seconds

I stopped my stopwatch when the nose of my truck cleared my garage door. Banged the driver side mirror on the door frame on the second test.

Edit: We did cheat a little bit with a refresher course just before the tests.

Exclamation Good times...

Quote Originally Posted by Mudinyeri View Post
    RESULTS

Bug out with just CC weapon and personal bags: 22.78 seconds

Bug out with personal bags, additional weapons and family bag: 57.89 seconds

I stopped my stopwatch when the nose of my truck cleared my garage door. Banged the driver side mirror on the door frame on the second test.

Edit: We did cheat a little bit with a refresher course just before the tests.
    Good times, I take no responsibility for the mirror. I break enough of those just by looking!!!

See if you can get some like minded friends to take the challenge!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

5. Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    Good times, I take no responsibility for the mirror. I break enough of those just by looking!!!

See if you can get some like minded friends to take the challenge!
    Not sure that I have any "local" friends who are like minded.

Fortunately, the mirror survived its little scrape with the garage door frame.

Do you know where every flashlight is?? According to the situation one many have to BO without electricity. That may entail raising the garage door manually. About fishing gear: to save space I just added a pack of hooks/split shot/floats/ and a roll of 20 lb test line. We do keep our rods/reels/tackle together and ready. On a side note: there is seven times as much water as land--surely God intends for us to fish seven times as much as we work--LOL.

I really don't have to worry, I went to rechargeable batteries a long time ago,
    I have a battery recharger in my Jeeps, and push comes to shove, doesn't take much of a solar panel to charge those little rechargeable batteries, and they last a LONG time when you go to a LED bulb in the flashlights.

Exclamation so after stopping at the wally world for batteries...

how long did it take to get you and your gear out the door. This thread is about personal readiness and front loading your equipment in a logical manner that makes it easy to leave if you have to. It is not about staying put.It is not about batteries. It is about a simple challenge of bugging out of your home in less than a minute with the bare essential equipment items you will need for a week or two of "roughing it"!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Why would I want to be out of the house in under a minute with my bob and gear? If I'm sitting at the kitchen table what is going to make me want to leave my house in under a minute? If the place catches on fire and I have to bug out I'd much rather have my dog, cash, car keys and credit cards than my bob and guns. If something happens outside I'd rather alamo up until I can evaluate the situation outside before I step out and have a cop prone me out for brandishing a firearm. Ca laws might be a bit different than your state. Or get out in the middle of something I don't want to be in and get myself in trouble.

For others I'm not saying it's a bad idea to beable to get out in a minute but I just can't think of one for myself. Earthquake better off inside the house than outside, brush fires plenty of notice, if not then I still want my CC dog and cash, mud slides not in my neighborhood.

Give me a good reason to beable to do this and I'll give it a try.

Exclamation Here is a reason...

Quote Originally Posted by cksh8me View Post
    Why would I want to be out of the house in under a minute with my bob and gear? If I'm sitting at the kitchen table what is going to make me want to leave my house in under a minute? If the place catches on fire and I have to bug out I'd much rather have my dog, cash, car keys and credit cards than my bob and guns. If something happens outside I'd rather alamo up until I can evaluate the situation outside before I step out and have a cop prone me out for brandishing a firearm. Ca laws might be a bit different than your state. Or get out in the middle of something I don't want to be in and get myself in trouble.

For others I'm not saying it's a bad idea to beable to get out in a minute but I just can't think of one for myself. Earthquake better off inside the house than outside, brush fires plenty of notice, if not then I still want my CC dog and cash, mud slides not in my neighborhood.

Give me a good reason to beable to do this and I'll give it a try.
    Guns have been outlawed by the libs, Riots are breaking out in the streets and martial law is being declared.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast