Calories per day.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calories per day.

Exclamation Calories per day.

Sitting there typing at your computer burns 1500-2000 calories a day.
    You need at least 2500-3000 per day in an active outdoor environment. You are doing more, and that generates heat and motion energy.
    1 MRE is anywhere from 2000-3000 calories depending on content and menu. In order to get that you must consume every single item in the MRE that is considered a food item or condiment (this includes the cofee creamer)

Hopefully Ropadope will give us his world famous "RANGER COOKIE" recipe that makes eating the coffee creamer easier.

In a combat environment, 2 mre's a day will not even begin to cut it.

Combat is defined as: humping 100 + pounds. Running while being shot at, shooting while running while being shot at. Scrambling over, under and around everything you can imagine. More running, cussing and shooting. Praying, shooting, running and scrambling. This can continue for as long as it takes to either break contact or clobber every terrorist.

At the end of the day you are just too tired to eat. It is a great weight loss program. You get exercise, adrenaline, and the 1000 yard stare. you also get PTSD and the shakes.

In another thread one of the posters said he and his wife could share an MRE if need be. Maybe as a snack. In a bug out environment, You are not going to have much time to eat until you make it to a safe haven. I would suggest 2 MRE's per person removed from the puffy brown plastic baggy and vacuum sealed into something that takes up a lot less space. Don't remove the individual wrappers just the bulky brown plastic outer shell. They are hell on space in the original package but very compact as components. You'll get a lot more in your pack and you will have more space for things you really need like extra socks, gloves, a wool hat, and extra medical supplies.

Water is the most important. You need lots and lots of that in a combat environment. Don't hoard it. Use it.
    When a fighter pilot is shot down the first thing he is supposed to do is move to cover and drink one of his water packs. this helps to ensure that he is not dehydrated and can think straight. Makes sense to me.

Stay hydrated eat your MRE when you get the chance and never waste anything. It is all useful. It is designed to provide a buttload of useful calories that can be rapidly metabolized with out causing an energy crash. It is also designed to replace electrolytes and other minerals with balanced nutrition. Did I mention a buttload of calories? You will definitely need to stay hydrated or your body cannot breakdown and use that energy. by the way...it is a buttload of calories.

Bon Appetit!
    Pass the water please.

OOOOHHHHHHH THAT"S GONNA HURT LATER.

OOOHHH MAN DID YOU BREAK WIND?
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Part of my SHTF planning, Festus, has been to physically store an excess of calories so they are there when needed. I have been quite successful in this endeavor, I might add.

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    1 MRE is anywhere from 2000-3000 calories depending on content and menu. In order to get that you must consume every single item in the MRE that is considered a food item or condiment (this includes the cofee creamer).......
    Festus, I had to Google MRE,,, Had no clue what one was. C-Rats, I understand. P-38 Can opener I understand. Dog Tags on the boot laces, P-38 on the dog Tag chain...
    Semper Fi

Exclamation I still carry a p-38 too.

Quote Originally Posted by ricbak View Post
    Festus, I had to Google MRE,,, Had no clue what one was. C-Rats, I understand. P-38 Can opener I understand. Dog Tags on the boot laces, P-38 on the dog Tag chain...
    It is my most cherished old timer gift.
    MSGT Rick Bullins (USAF VIETNAM VET) gave it to me when I made buck sergeant back in the day. He told me to always carry it to open the cans to make the lifer juice. I always have.

MRE's are way better than c-rats. But still not as good as T-rats or K-rats.

The older dark brown MRE's are pure dog crap.
    The newer light tan MRE's even have tobasco suace in them to help things along.

1/2 LITER WATER, ONE INSTANT COFFEE PACKET, AND ONE PACKET HOT COCO MAKE A DANG FINE CRAPPACHINO!!!!!

WARNING: IF YOU SUFFER FROM HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE WATCH THE SALT LEVELS IN THE MRE'S
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

What about adding some type of food bars such as the following? I have seen several different types on the web.

3600 Calories Emergency Mayday Food Bar for disaster situations
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Exclamation Good luck with those...

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    What about adding some type of food bars such as the following? I have seen several different types on the web.

3600 Calories Emergency Mayday Food Bar for disaster situations
    I believe it was Alpharubicon that gave them extremely poor reviews. I know they used to be called lifeboat bars. They are coocnut flavored lard slathered throughout a sawdust block.

They do not provide the right kind of nutrition needed for combat operations.
    http://www.alpharubicon.com/prods/da...sgurkhaman.htm
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

I'll never give up that recipe for a Ranger Cookie, but Ranger pudding is pretty tasty too, if you wanna stop up your bowels for about three weeks.

Seriously, eat the MRE's, it may be the only nutiritional source you have depending upon conditions and terrain envirenment, resupply and or length of mission. Soldiers generally don't have high blood pressure so the sodium content is not a factor and does retain water in the body's physiology, so it's not necessarily bad to have a slightly elevated sodium content daily, for only short periods at a time.

The normal rates of sodium intake rec'd daily is between 1500mg's and 2300mgs per day.

Don't waste calories that could ordinarily be used for more critical tasks when in survival mode.

Ok, ok here ya go:

Ranger Pudding
    Ingredients (consolidated from several MREs):
    crackers
    peanut butter
    hot cocoa
    coffee
    sugar

Directions:

With the package unopened, pulverize the crackers. Peel open the package of crackers about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from edge and tear straight across; this will become the top of the preparation. Pull open the sides of the crackers package such that with the opening on top you have a makeshift cup. Now add the peanut butter then a little water. Stir the crackers in to give it a crunchy pudding consistency. Add the sugar, hot cocoa, and coffee to give it the taste. Add more water if needed, my personal preference was to fill it about 3/4 of the way up with water after adding the entire peanut butter package.

Ranger Cookie
    1 coffee creamer packet
    1 packet of sugar

Open both sugar and creamer packet. Add the sugar into the creamer packet, shake it thoroughly, and then fold it up together. Heat the packet over the book of matches until the contents have melted. Let it cool. You should have a caramelized cookie.
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

You are just a regular freakin Betty Crocker!

Quote Originally Posted by Ropadope View Post
    I'll never give up that recipe for a Ranger Cookie, but Ranger pudding is pretty tasty too, if you wanna stop up your bowels for about three weeks.

Seriously, eat the MRE's, it may be the only nutiritional source you have depending upon conditions and terrain envirenment, resupply and or length of mission. Soldiers generally don't have high blood pressure so the sodium content is not a factor and does retain water in the body's physiology, so it's not necessarily bad to have a slightly elevated sodium content daily, for only short periods at a time.

The normal rates of sodium intake rec'd daily is between 1500mg's and 2300mgs per day.

Don't waste calories that could ordinarily be used for more critical tasks when in survival mode.

Ok, ok here ya go:

Ranger Pudding
    Ingredients (consolidated from several MREs):
    crackers
    peanut butter
    hot cocoa
    coffee
    sugar

Directions:

With the package unopened, pulverize the crackers. Peel open the package of crackers about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from edge and tear straight across; this will become the top of the preparation. Pull open the sides of the crackers package such that with the opening on top you have a makeshift cup. Now add the peanut butter then a little water. Stir the crackers in to give it a crunchy pudding consistency. Add the sugar, hot cocoa, and coffee to give it the taste. Add more water if needed, my personal preference was to fill it about 3/4 of the way up with water after adding the entire peanut butter package.

Ranger Cookie
    1 coffee creamer packet
    1 packet of sugar

Open both sugar and creamer packet. Add the sugar into the creamer packet, shake it thoroughly, and then fold it up together. Heat the packet over the book of matches until the contents have melted. Let it cool. You should have a caramelized cookie.
    Good stuff...I forgot about Ranger pudding!

Thanks for the heads up! On the Ranger Pudding Recipe!!!!!!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Part of my SHTF planning, Festus, has been to physically store an excess of calories so they are there when needed. I have been quite successful in this endeavor, I might add.
    I'm with JJ on this one.
    There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, "All right, then, have it your way." - C. S. Lewis

The frozen tundra!! Also known as Minnesota
    By chance in the the Ranger Cookies Recipe?
    From Oatmeal Ranger Cookie Recipe - Ranger Cookies

Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 12 minutes
    Total Time: 22 minutesIngredients:

•1 cup shortening
    •1 cup white sugar
    •1 cup brown sugar
    •2 eggs
    •2 cups all-purpose flour
    •2 teaspoons baking soda
    •1 teaspoon baking powder
    •1/2 teaspoon salt
    •2 cups corn flakes
    •2 cups quick cooking oats
    •1 cup flaked coconut
    •1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preparation:

In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat until well blended and smooth. Sift flour, soda, baking powder, and salt into a separate bowl. Add corn flakes and oatmeal and sifted dry ingredients to the creamed mixture; stir in coconut and vanilla. Drop by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet and bake at 350° for about 10 to 12 minutes.
    Makes about 6 to 7 dozen ranger cookies with oats and coconut.
    MN Permit to Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, PPITH
    NRA Life Member, 3 x Iraq War Vet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast