What is your Number One SHTF Gun? - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your Number One SHTF Gun?

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    psst, the asians and europeans make better motorcycles.
    Yeah, I know some of the guys who look down on ME and my BIKE.. Yeah, they own a Harley and they put a good 1500 miles a year on it going back and forth to bike nite.. I used to do that in a month and a half (I don't ride to work anymore , so my mileage is down, but I will still probably get 6,000+ this year..
    I've owned my '94 750cc Magna for about 5+ years now and I have put about 60K on it. Total of 80K on the bike.
    I've replaced the Starter clutch and the clutch, and then the normal stuff.. She still runs like new and can out run most other bikes unless they have dumped thousands of $$$ into it.. I don't feel too bad when I get out run by a 1550cc Harley that the owner has dumped another $5K into when I have less than $5K into my bike total..

As much as I love my bike, it doesn't make me a better person, but when I go to visit the Veteran's home or Orphanage with the bike and it brings a smile to their face, then I've become just a little better person...

Ride what you like, we are all brothers on the road... (at least that's my attitude)..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

The question posed in this thread was:
    What is your Number One SHTF Gun?
    Honest answers make you feel inadequte? Some of us have built up a stockpile of goods, including firearms and ammunition, over years. Having the ability to choose the right tool for the job at hand is supposed to be the mark of a craftsman. I'm sorry, but a 10/22 can not be counted upon to be enough in all circumstances. Choices matter, planning matters. The story about old boots and making fun of folks is silly and wrong -- most of us use the equipment we have over its lifespan; tools are to be used, someday they will be worn out and be replaced.

Perhaps you who feel no need to invest in emergency supplies need to rethink your premise. While you may be superior enough to get by with little or nothing, some of us are only human and seek to prepare as best we can.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

4. You may be right about the 10/22 but the original post said "Bug out on foot with one long gun and one pistol " I have more than the two I picked each with its own job to do. But if I bug out on foot I must carry many things to survive besides guns and ammo Weight becomes an issue. Also should one of the two firearms become inoperable and they are of different calibers you have lost half of your total ammo supply. This is why I chose two of the weapons I have that use the same ammo and that ammo is less weight per round. Now if I had a 9mm carbine it would be that and my Ruger P85 but I based it on the guns I own.

Don't get me wrong a stockpile is a great thing to have and more probably should. Unfortunately not all can afford it so we each do what we can with what we have.

So, do you mean to say I should apologize for quoting the thread title instead of the text of the first post?
    Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
    Don't get me wrong a stockpile is a great thing to have and more probably should. Unfortunately not all can afford it so we each do what we can with what we have.
    My argument was not with your choosing as you did. Everybody has to make his own choice and live with the consequences. My argument was with the turn the thread took belittling those who have invested in the resources to make different choices to deal with different circumstances.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    My argument was with the turn the thread took belittling those who have invested in the resources to make different choices to deal with different circumstances.
    My comments were NOT meant to "belittle" anyone.. There is nothing wrong with having anything and everything legal.. I harbor no resentment toward anyone who has one of everything and two of the things they really like!!! IF you have the tools. by all means use them.. IF things are really SHTF, then maybe even pass around a few things, assuming you're not coming back..
    It's great to have nice things, I have a few nice things that would probably make some people jealous, but not others..
    I apologize for taking a right turn on the topic, it wasn't my intent, but I could have foreseen the result..

I do like the idea of matching ammo.. When I go hunting with my friend, we usually match up guns so that we can share ammo.. Never a bad idea..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    My comments were NOT meant to "belittle" anyone.. There is nothing wrong with having anything and everything legal.. I harbor no resentment toward anyone who has one of everything and two of the things they really like!!! IF you have the tools. by all means use them.. IF things are really SHTF, then maybe even pass around a few things, assuming you're not coming back..
    It's great to have nice things, I have a few nice things that would probably make some people jealous, but not others..
    I apologize for taking a right turn on the topic, it wasn't my intent, but I could have foreseen the result..

I do like the idea of matching ammo.. When I go hunting with my friend, we usually match up guns so that we can share ammo.. Never a bad idea..
    Okay, if we're back on topic, let me address your last remark --I added bold for clarity.

My problem with rifle and handgun sharing ammo is one of efficacy. I own and shoot a couple of pistol caliber rifles, but they aren't at the top of my list for emergency use. If I've got to carry something the size and weight of a rifle, I want a rifle powered cartridge. I'll sacrifice the handgun and its ammo if necessary before I'll give up the rifle. A rifle has more range and power than a handgun.

8. Quote Originally Posted by 1911 Headbanger View Post
    If you had to bug out on foot or car and could take one long gun and one handgun, what would it be?

Long Gun - Springfield Armory M1A SOCOM

Handgun- Glock 21

I would also have to throw my Great GrandFathers 1911 in my pack, because I promised him I would always have it with me in hard times.
    Great to honor granddad ! I'll take ( old revolver guy ) my 4 inch Security Six ; and FNH .308 and 7 mags and Dobbie (MacArthur) named after you know who , backpack loaded with mre's ( don't forget to get some buddy) and survival stuff . When we had gas crisis of the '70's I saw real nuttyiness in Chicago ( I could live to be a 100 and never forget ) . I love the people aknd the South ( oh yea and old Yankee(in geography only ) !!! Greatest people on earth !!! I miss Mississippi very much . Take care and God Bless .

9. Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    I'm kinda along with you Mudpuppy.. This thread seams to be a "look what I got" kinda thread...
    How did the US handle this type of scenario for the French in WWII.. They mass produced the "Liberator". They produced 1 million of these "POS"'s - You couldn't hit much of anything beyond two feet; but the concept is good..
    Take what you have, use what you have, use it to get what you need... So you take the Liberator, shoot a guard, take his pistol. Take his pistol, and take someone's rifle. Take his Rifle and take someone's rocket launcher.
    You are eventually going to want to take whatever the enemy is using, so that you can get ammo for it (from them).
    So going with Mudpuppy, is it better to take a smaller gun, and be able to carry 500 rounds of ammo, or is it better to take a $3000 gun and carry 200 rounds of ammo?

How about a M1 .30 cal carbine and a colt .45?? IT was good enough against a few Germans and Japanese??

Go ahead.. Throw your theories, and comments and your choice toys at me..
    The most important weapon you are going to bring doesn't come in a caliber..
    It comes in an "intelligence quotient". It comes with knowledge, and experience, and adaptability to situations.. It's your Brain.. Yes some "tools" will make it easier to obtain your objective than others.. But unless you use the brain that God gave you, it doesn't really matter what your #1 SHTF gun is..

There are three major requirements for a gun to be "good"
    1) Does it go BANG every time you squeeze the trigger?
    2) Can you hit, what you are aiming at consistently?
    3) Is it a large enough caliber to take down what you are aiming at..

If you can say yes to these three questions, then I don't give a rats posterior if it's a $100 German Mouser, or a $6000 Engelbert Humperdinck (you can list your most impressive gun here)..
    From there on, it's whats between your ears that is going to make the real difference..
    The three rules are excellent !!! I can't say it any better . Only keep a backpack with mre's and other survival stuff . God Bless.

10. Quote Originally Posted by 1911 Headbanger View Post
    @ HootmonSccy - Yep, I understand that. I had the priviledge of knowing my Great Grandfather until I was about 16 years old. He was a World War I vet from Trench Warfare. It would break your heart to see the man take off his shirt. The wounds and scars. He got the same treatment from hunters, but he was always the one laughing at the end of the day.
    They would show up in matching camo clothing, new boots, even matching pick-ups, trailers and ATV's. $1500 rifles with scopes that you could use to see the lunar surface. They would snicker at him. But he was a real soldier and woodsman. And I loved and admired that man more than anyone. He would show up to hunt with khaki work pants, a plaid flannel shirt, old lace up combat boots, and an old beat up "Smokey Bear" hat he wore for years. His rifle was an old Military Springfield 1903-A3 with iron peep sights. He would sit on a boat cushion and lean against a tree, instead of an expensive stand. He would smoke cigars, while the other guys smear deer piss on themselves.
    All of a sudden, several shots would ring out, some multiple shots from the semi-autos. A short time later, 75 yards away, a lone buck would step out into a clearing. The old tired eyes and iron sights would line up and steady the rifle. One shot, the buck falls. We drag him out with a drag made out of rope. The only deer taken usually.
    He told me that a man should never be without 4 guns. A Springfield 03 / 03-A3, a Browning A5 Auto Shotgun, a Colt 1911 45 Pistol and a good bolt action 22 rifle. I have those particular guns to this day. In fact the 1911 he carried sits by me on a small table beside my chair loaded with FMJ ammo. It is stamped US Property US Army Model of 1911. I checked the serial number and it was made in 1913. I will never be without it. He gave me that gun as he laid on the bed he died on 3 days later. Told me to take good care of it. That it could get me out of just about anything I got into.
    So believe me I do understand about limited money and old boots and guns. Never will I ever degrade an old guy with a old beat up gun and boots.
    I loved the post !! I wish I had met gramps .You have great memories !!! All those great Vets live in my memory every day ! Otherwise why would HBO have the great series about WWII Vets . Now we need one for a Great Guy like Gramps . I enjoyed reading your post very much I have personally met one Metal of Honor Winner (Desmond Doss-look him up when I was a young boy. You knew you were in the presence of greatness ( he was very humble ) .Also 40 year reunion of WWII Captain Morgan of Memphis Belle fame (if you haven't seen movie please do ) Same kind of guy !! A very nice humble hero . I"m sure granddad was every bit the same !!! WWI was a real fright . Take care and God Bless !

11. Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    So, do you mean to say I should apologize for quoting the thread title instead of the text of the first post?

My argument was not with your choosing as you did. Everybody has to make his own choice and live with the consequences. My argument was with the turn the thread took belittling those who have invested in the resources to make different choices to deal with different circumstances.
    I was just explaining my reasons for my choice. I am not asking for an apology from any one. I was also acknowledging your views on the 10/22 and stockpiling.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast