What is your Number One SHTF Gun? - Page 4
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your Number One SHTF Gun?

Hootmon... It's about the tools and knowing which ones work for you. Bravo!!!

I get up and skeet shoot every Sat AM with friends many years ago. 2-4 rounds and then off to clean guns and reload. Mr. Blackledge would make an appearance when he was feeling well. He had this old 20GA pump shotgun with duct-tape holding the stock on. Best skeet shooter I had ever seen. The man knew how to use that tool and was not impressed with all the hardware that would show up to shoot.

Most of us have that favorite gun or one that holds sentimental value as it was passed down from parent / grandparent and would never think of leaving it behind, so that will drive some decisions.

Whatever be the tool, the goal is survival. If it's achieved via the $1250.00 AR-15 or the $250.00 10/22 so be it.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Such a tough call here:

From what I have in stock it would depend on whether I anticipated only a short-term, low-intensity situation or whether it would be long-term, heavy on SD (high-intensity) and scavenging for resupply. A further assumption is that you are trying to clear yourself and family to an area of lower intensity and more defense-oriented. Here I am fortunate that my wife also is into firearms so I'd have some more barrels and capacity.

If I thought resupply would occur before my stocks ran out, I'd take my FN AR (7.62) and CZ-40 (.40). My wife would be carrying her CZ (also in .40 and with interchangeable mags between our carry weapons) along with the Savage .308.

If I thought this was "it" and I would be stuck with what I had indefintely except for scavenging, I'd probably take my 9mm carbine and Sigma 9 for their interchangeable ammo and since 9 is so easy to find. Unfortunately, the wife would be carrying the same stuff as above since I am more centered on .40/s and .308/7.62. Maybe I need to consider this and pick up another 9 and another carbine. Then again, in long-term situations, resupply from scavenging or joining up into groups is almost assured unless we're talking apocalyptic scenarios preventing return to supply ceneters or something so changes would occur afterward and getting clear is the primary consideration. Should be some stuff lying around to pick through if it comes to that scenario.

Something I saw in another thread a week or two ago got me thinking about this situation and I had begun looking into a higher quality, metal-framed 9mm for just this type of situation. So far, I am thinking the CZ-75 SP-01 and throwing in the .22 conversion kit for it. Polymer is "okay" but I really prefer the metal frames.

Another combination I thought about would be to go with a quality .223 AR w/low-power scope and a .223 pistol like Kel-tec's PLR-16. That other thread was mentioning someone's thoughts on the lever action .357 to complement their .357 carry but adding .357 is outside my bduget capacity right now.

For me, the biggest decision point in this thought process is ammo. Wish I had taken an interest in reloading.

For those with a high-country or rural stockpile established, this seems like a much easier decision to just take what you need to make it to your depot/base. I always remember that guy's basement arsenal in Tremors. Seems like having so many different guns/calibers for a long-term defense scenario would be a hassle.
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

Exclamation hk91 clone and hk USP 45

My two goto guns are my HK91 Clone and my HK USP45. I have fired them more than any thing else. I am fully comfortable about carrying and using both of them to the best effect.

My other pair would be Baby Eagle in .40 S&W and Savage 10FP in 7.62 NATO/.308 Win

I have built up Survival Equipment vests to support either combination.

Bottom line is no matter what your goto guns are...train with them often and train hard.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

5. Hi. I'm a nuby to this forum stuff.But, my out the door and run would be my mini 14 and CZ 75 BD.
    Praise the LORD and pass the ammo!

I think it would be my S&W 686 (I can hear people cringing now) and one of my AR's, probably the M4 style due to the collapsable stock.

Quote Originally Posted by jibbster View Post
    I think it would be my S&W 686 (I can hear people cringing now) and one of my AR's, probably the M4 style due to the collapsable stock.
    Please explain why people should cringe because you've chosen a revolver as your handgun.

I think those are good choices. Think about how many have chosen an M4gery (or other AR variant) as their main or only SHTF rifle; ammunition, magazines, and parts are ubiquitous.

A .357 revolver would be easy to find ammunition in the US, and your choice of handgun is very personal. If it's what you're comfortable with it's the best choice.

I know my wife's first choice handgun would be her Ruger Security Six. She's been shooting it since I bought it for her 30 years ago -- she's accurate and comfortable using it. I wouldn't even try to convince her to choose another.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    Please explain why people should cringe because you've chosen a revolver as your handgun.

I think those are good choices. Think about how many have chosen an M4gery (or other AR variant) as their main or only SHTF rifle; ammunition, magazines, and parts are ubiquitous.

A .357 revolver would be easy to find ammunition in the US, and your choice of handgun is very personal. If it's what you're comfortable with it's the best choice.

I know my wife's first choice handgun would be her Ruger Security Six. She's been shooting it since I bought it for her 30 years ago -- she's accurate and comfortable using it. I wouldn't even try to convince her take choose another.
    NDS, I usually catch flack from people saying revolvers are "old school"....I carry a Sig most days, but I think in SHTF, a revolver has some advantages..first, it goes BANG when you pull the trigger, and if it doesn't you just pull the trigger again...Second, a full magnum round is a great man stopper and also works on lots of 4 legged opponents..also, I think there is some psychological aspect to pulling a large revolver on someone..hopefully it can help "change their mind" for them

Got it! I believe the handgun you carry should be one you trust will protect your own life and the lives of those you care about. If, for you, that's a revolver don't let anybody dissuade you.
    NDS, I usually catch flack from people saying revolvers are "old school"....I carry a Sig most days, but I think in SHTF, a revolver has some advantages..first, it goes BANG when you pull the trigger, and if it doesn't you just pull the trigger again...Second, a full magnum round is a great man stopper and also works on lots of 4 legged opponents..also, I think there is some psychological aspect to pulling a large revolver on someone..hopefully it can help "change their mind" for them
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Exclamation Nothing wrong with a revolver...

For years the USAF ISSUED a S&W 44Magnum revolver to Combat Controllers (CCT's) and Para-Rescuemen (PJ's) Most effective against charging drugged up native personnel.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

cool fact, Festus..thanks

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast