What is your Number One SHTF Gun? - Page 5
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your Number One SHTF Gun?

Quote Originally Posted by jibbster View Post
    I think it would be my S&W 686 (I can hear people cringing now) and one of my AR's, probably the M4 style due to the collapsable stock.
    Nothing wrong with a good revolver.
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    For years the USAF ISSUED a S&W 44Magnum revolver to Combat Controllers (CCT's) and Para-Rescuemen (PJ's) Most effective against charging drugged up native personnel.
    They also issued a bunch of S&W 6' Model 29 44 mags to Tunnel Rats in Vietnam with some sort of multi-ball type "buckshot" load to use in tunnels.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 Headbanger View Post
    If you had to bug out on foot or car and could take one long gun and one handgun, what would it be?

Long Gun - Springfield Armory M1A SOCOM

Handgun- Glock 21

I would also have to throw my Great GrandFathers 1911 in my pack, because I promised him I would always have it with me in hard times.
    That's as stupid as saying if you were going to be stranded in the mountains with only ONE KNIFE, what would it be...

Well, if you KNEW you were going to be stranded in the mountains, why would you take only ONE knife,
    And if you were in an aircraft crash, you wouldn't have ANY knives!
    ---------------------------------------

As for 'Survival' in the 'Mountains'...
    That would depend on the mountains!

In the rockies or in Alaska, I would want a 12 Ga. at the least and/or a hard hitting handgun.

In the 'Smokey' mountains, a .22LR or .22 WMR would probably suffice to get you in alive.
    If I'm somewhere there are BIG AGGRESSIVE BEARS OR WILD BORES, I want a larger, hard hitting firearm of some kind...
    ----------------------------------------

My sidearm of choice is an updated 1911 in .45 ACP with some Silver Tips or XTP rounds that actually functions every time you pull the trigger,
    And you can't say that about many auto loaders.
    Doesn't take much for an auto loader to stop functioning past the first round in the field.

But if I were in a 'Survival' situation (different than a gun fight situation),
    I'd opt for something like a Ruger GP-100 Wheel Gun in .357 Mag. with 6" barrel.
    Large enough to penetrate the skull of a grizzly bear, accurate enough to hunt with,
    Still fits in a holster and doesn't weigh a ton, dependable as an anvil, it WILL go off every time you pull the trigger,
    Has adjustable sights, comes in stainless, standard caliber, can also shoot .38spl. rounds, and is readily available anywhere in the country.

There are a multitude of loads for the .357 from small game shot to big, heavy penetrators for large, dangerous game and the caliber is standardized & popular, so ammo is available almost everywhere.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 'Long Gun' choice is better than any pistol,
    It was what I carried in Alaska the last time we went up there,
    Light weight 12 Ga. pump with folding stock.

Extra rifled slug barrel for longer distance accuracy for hunting,
    bird shot barrel for everything else.
    Specialty rounds out the wazoo for everything in between,
    Effective at all ranges from point blank to 150 Yards with the right ammo/barrel.

Ammo is universal, you can find it anywhere, and if need be, you could modify any loaded husk for your application with nothing more than a smelting container and table spoon.

I shoot everything from steel ball bearings, to Fletchettes, to incendiary rounds out of mine,
    Rifled slug barrel with sabot rounds is accurate out past 150 Yards,
    And I can't think of ANYTHING, including a BUICK, that can survive a couple of loads of Double OO buck shot!

Military/Law Enforcement even has grenades and Taser rounds for them now!

---------------------------------

If I were to pick a rifle, it would probably be a .30-06, .308 Win or .300 Win Mag bolt gun.
    All .30 bullets, primers and powders pretty much interchange so reloading wouldn't be an issue,
    And most places would have military caliber ammunition around the world, .308 (7.62x51mm) or .30-06, and there is nothing you can't put down with a .30 rifle at under 500 yards.

.30 cal rifles SUCK for small game, you have to be REALLY TRICKY to put small game down without blowing it to pieces, so survival situations would favor large game, but you normally only get chances at small game.
    There are sabot rounds so you can fire .223 size projectiles out of a .30 cal rifle, but they aren't the most accurate, but wouldn't hurt to have in a pinch...

Quote Originally Posted by AR Hammer View Post
    That's as stupid as saying if you were going to be stranded in the mountains with only ONE KNIFE, what would it be...

Wow AR Hammer, my saying is stupid? Gee thanks. One insult deserves another. Well let's see what Mr AR the Einstein has for us that will cast a light of brilliance on my stupidity. Let's take a look:

Well, if you KNEW you were going to be stranded in the mountains, why would you take only ONE knife,
    And if you were in an aircraft crash, you wouldn't have ANY knives!

The question was, if you were bugging out on foot or car and could take one long gun and handgun, what would it be? Simple question since we seem to be in the "Survival Section" of the forum. Wasn't meant to be an IQ test. Just to start discussion and for fun. OK, If you were stranded in the mountains what knife would you want? No one said anything about being stranded. By the way, bugging out means leaving your home or vehicle for an unknown SHTF situation. You are leaving by choice. Not a planned camp out with the guys and getting lost accidently.
    ---------------------------------------

As for 'Survival' in the 'Mountains'...
    That would depend on the mountains!

In the rockies or in Alaska, I would want a 12 Ga. at the least and/or a hard hitting handgun.

In the 'Smokey' mountains, a .22LR or .22 WMR would probably suffice to get you in alive.
    If I'm somewhere there are BIG AGGRESSIVE BEARS OR WILD BORES, I want a larger, hard hitting firearm of some kind...

HUH? You mean it's OK for a 22 or 22 mag in the Smokey Mountains, unless you run across big aggressive bears and wild boars, then you've changed your mind and want something bigger now? Do you find "BIG AGGRESSIVE BEARS and BOARS" in the Smokies? If so, why would you have a 22 or 22 mag in the first place, knowing you could run across them?

My sidearm of choice is an updated 1911 in .45 ACP with some Silver Tips or XTP rounds that actually functions every time you pull the trigger,
    And you can't say that about many auto loaders.
    Doesn't take much for an auto loader to stop functioning past the first round in the field.

"an updated 1911 that actually functions everytime you pull the trigger, and you can't say that about many autoloaders? Man, what have you been shooting? I've been shooting 1911's most of my life and Glocks since the 80's. As long as I had a decent pistol it functioned with decent ammo. I have too many autoloaders to name right now in my safes, and everyone of them goes bang everytime I pull the trigger. My revolvers are no different. Hopefully you aren't one of those idiots that say revolvers never jam, are you? Never seen a high primer lock up a cylinder, or a bullet jar loose from the case and lock up a cylinder, or a revolver jump timing? or an ejector rod back out and lock up a revolver? Ever had a revolver down in the mud and crud and then tried to shoot it a couple of times? Hmmmm! I have. Doesn't always work the way you think. I've had to remove several officers from the range with malfunctioning revolvers.

But if I were in a 'Survival' situation (different than a gun fight situation), REALLY? Gee Thanks. Been in both. Yeah, they are different. Except both of them, the object is to stay alive!
    I'd opt for something like a Ruger GP-100 Wheel Gun in .357 Mag. with 6" barrel.
    Large enough to penetrate the skull of a grizzly bear, accurate enough to hunt with,
    Still fits in a holster and doesn't weigh a ton, dependable as an anvil, it WILL go off every time you pull the trigger,
    Uh, not neccessarily so. The Sheriffs Office where I live adopted the GP-100 years ago, and we had to return about 10 of them out of 40, to the factory for completely locking up for no reason. Some of them without firing more than one shot. The problems were corrected eventually and the GP became an excellent revolver, but you would have a hard time convincing those officers of how it would go off everytime you pull the trigger!
    Has adjustable sights, comes in stainless, standard caliber, can also shoot .38spl. rounds, and is readily available anywhere in the country.

You mean you would go after a Grizzly Bear with a .357 Magnum? WOW!!! How many bears, particularly Grizzlies, have you killed. How close are you going to be and accurate are you to put one in his skull. Is he charging you or are you in a boxing match with him? Have you ever seen the results of a 357 on a grizzly? Have you even been somewhat close to a Grizzly? The massive size, speed and aggression will make you wish your gun shot bullets the size of bowling balls. I'll tell you what. Next time you go after "GRIZZLIES" or any aggressive Bear with a 357 magnum, let me take a Life Insurance Policy out on you first, before you go. I need the money.

There are a multitude of loads for the .357 from small game shot to big, heavy penetrators for large, dangerous game and the caliber is standardized & popular, so ammo is available almost everywhere.

Small game shot. Have you ever tried the shot loads on small game? Maybe you can do it at point blank range, but after about 10 yards, it won't even penetrate plywood and had the pattern diameter of about 8 feet. No small game for you to eat, if you try for small game with "small game shot". Try it sometime. Better try to beat the bears to the berries. If they try to take your berries, shoot 'em with that big bad 357 mag. The Large Predeators and dangerous game have been covered I think. Just ask yourself, why bear hunting guides and African hunters never use a 357 mag. Been there, done that too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 'Long Gun' choice is better than any pistol,
    It was what I carried in Alaska the last time we went up there,
    Light weight 12 Ga. pump with folding stock.

Really. Man that's a brilliant statement. Folding stock? WOW, you mean Rambo hunts in Alaska?

Extra rifled slug barrel for longer distance accuracy for hunting,
    bird shot barrel for everything else.

How Much stuff are you carrying when you bug out on foot? Do you change barrels when being charged by a grizzly? Or change back when you see a bird?

Specialty rounds out the wazoo for everything in between,
    Effective at all ranges from point blank to 150 Yards with the right ammo/barrel.

Ammo is universal, you can find it anywhere, Even when you're fighting bears and Boars in the Smokies? and if need be, you could modify any loaded husk for your application with nothing more than a smelting container and table spoon. Taking your smelting container and spoon with you too? By the way, what the hell is a loaded husk? You mean like corn husk?

I shoot everything from steel ball bearings, to Fletchettes, to incendiary rounds out of mine, And you're going to need them after you pull that 357 mag out on that Grizzly Bear.
    Rifled slug barrel with sabot rounds is accurate out past 150 Yards,
    And I can't think of ANYTHING, including a BUICK, that can survive a couple of loads of Double OO buck shot!

UH, I have seen men survive buckshot AND seen pictures of Bears that survived several loads of buckshot, then killed someone and still had to be finished off with a big rifle . Buckshot can be deadly, but it's not a death ray. In fact, most guides I know forbid the use of buckshot on bears. Not enough penetration for those big aggressive grizzlies. Wounded bears are dangerous. But I guess you know that since you go after them with a 357 mag. By the way, I've seen roadblocks with lots of shotguns, and believe me, buckshot will not stop a Buick. Or a volkswagen either. Been there and done that also. In fact, I'll prove it to you. I'll give you a shotgun and a couple of loads of buckshot, and I'll come at you at about 50 MPH in a Buick and run over you while you're shooting at me and my Buick. Let's see who goes to the morgue first. You or the buick.

Military/Law Enforcement even has grenades and Taser rounds for them now!

Maybe you should take the grenades for the Grizzlies and the aggresive boars. That is...... I mean.... if you are allowed to have those!

---------------------------------

If I were to pick a rifle, it would probably be a .30-06, .308 Win or .300 Win Mag bolt gun.
    All .30 bullets, primers and powders pretty much interchange so reloading wouldn't be an issue,

Now you're bugging out with your reloading table too?

And most places would have military caliber ammunition around the world, .308 (7.62x51mm) or .30-06, and there is nothing you can't put down with a .30 rifle at under 500 yards.

Well if you're talking about "around the world", would you "put down" a Cape Buffallo at 500 yards with a 30-06. or a Rhino, elephant? Uh, don't go to Africa, you'll get laughed at...... or killed!

.30 cal rifles SUCK for small game, you have to be REALLY TRICKY to put small game down without blowing it to pieces, so survival situations would favor large game, but you normally only get chances at small game.

I hunt small game with a pistol on occassions. Maybe you could go to that 357 magnum with light loads instead of getting "really tricky" blasting thumper with your 30-06. Or maybe you could stop and dish up a couple of custom loads on your reloading table to shoot rabbits!!!

There are sabot rounds so you can fire .223 size projectiles out of a .30 cal rifle, but they aren't the most accurate, but wouldn't hurt to have in a pinch...
    The Remington Accelerator loads you are talking about are pretty darn accurate out of my 30-06 Bolt action, but still would explode Thumper when you hit him, or vaporize a squirrel. Better stick to your 357 mag with custom loads.

Now please AR HAMMER, before you go telling someone how stupid they and their statements are, you may want to consider how you are comming off to others. Seems everytime someone posts a question like this, your opinion is that it's nothing but dribble and garbage talk and you do it so much better than everyone else. You may have experience to back some things up, but that doesn't make me stupid, nor does it make me inexperienced. I've been there, done that, and lived it in my lifetime. More than a few times I might add. So again, the question is, IF you had to leave, bug-out, whatever on foot or in a vehicle, and you could carry one long gun and handgun, what would they be. If you don't want to answer, fine, go to another thread, but please I'm not stupid.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Well, I would take my Savage bolt gun in .22WMR. I have lots of ammo for it and I can shoot it so accurately it is scary. I have more powerful center fire rifles, but if my target is within 125 yards of me, I own it. On the handgun side it would be a toss up between my P-64 or the Hi Power. No, I would take both screw it. I would want to have a handgun in both 9 x 18 and 9 x 19! Sorry, had to cheat!

I am still sticking to the pump 12 ga, and my T/C .223 pistol. One ammo box full of bird shot, 20 buck shot, and 200 .223 SP, good to go. Would love to bring a pellet rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post

I am still sticking to the pump 12 ga, and my T/C .223 pistol. One ammo box full of bird shot, 20 buck shot, and 200 .223 SP, good to go. Would love to bring a pellet rifle.
    That may work fine for you. If all you've got to worry about is putting food on your 'table' and keeping an occasional predator (including lone or small groups of humans) at bay you'll be ready. I'd think a few boxes of slugs would be prudent in case of large animal (moose, bear, ...) becoming too 'friendly'.

But if you're going to be in a more urban or suburban environment, a semi-automatic rifle might be prudent for defense against groups of humans preying upon others. I don't think you'd need an AK/AR/FAL/M1a and thousands of rounds of ammunition; the ability to hit what you're aiming at, quickly reacquire a target, and reload quickly enough to keep problems in abeyance until they decide to find an easier target is all one needs.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    That may work fine for you. If all you've got to worry about is putting food on your 'table' and keeping an occasional predator (including lone or small groups of humans) at bay you'll be ready. I'd think a few boxes of slugs would be prudent in case of large animal (moose, bear, ...) becoming too 'friendly'.

But if you're going to be in a more urban or suburban environment, a semi-automatic rifle might be prudent for defense against groups of humans preying upon others. I don't think you'd need an AK/AR/FAL/M1a and thousands of rounds of ammunition; the ability to hit what you're aiming at, quickly reacquire a target, and reload quickly enough to keep problems in abeyance until they decide to find an easier target is all one needs.
    I don't know about that. Within 100 yards or so, if a man really knows his way around a 12 gauge pump or semi-auto, he can wreak havoc on many people. I've seen some guys reload them very quickly as they shoot and move. And with plenty of buckshot and slugs he's got a serious firearm in his hands. Especially if he has a 7,8 or 10 shot mag tube, and plenty of ammo within reach. I wouldn't want to go up against any man who trains well with his shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post

As 1911 said. Shotgun is a bad-assed weapon. The scoped T/C fits in a shoulder holster. Although a single shot, I have picked off rodents at over 150 yards. With .223 SP people and deer sized targets are no problem. As mentioned I would bring a pellet rife for small game. There is very little report to advertise one's presence.
    I wonder if this SHTF situation is the second coming as all the religious folks have been saying for hundreds of years?
    If so, and Jesus loves you, you won't need any ammo.
    SO STOP HORDING IT..

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 Headbanger View Post
    I don't know about that. Within 100 yards or so, if a man really knows his way around a 12 gauge pump or semi-auto, he can wreak havoc on many people. I've seen some guys reload them very quickly as they shoot and move. And with plenty of buckshot and slugs he's got a serious firearm in his hands. Especially if he has a 7,8 or 10 shot mag tube, and plenty of ammo within reach. I wouldn't want to go up against any man who trains well with his shotgun.
    "...if a man really knows..." As I said-- it may work. I don't know iceguy so I don't know if he's making a good choice. He seems comfortable with it, so I'll assume he does.
    Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    As 1911 said. Shotgun is a bad-assed weapon. The scoped T/C fits in a shoulder holster. Although a single shot, I have picked off rodents at over 150 yards. With .223 SP people and deer sized targets are no problem. As mentioned I would bring a pellet rife for small game. There is very little report to advertise one's presence.
    I wonder if this SHTF situation is the second coming as all the religious folks have been saying for hundreds of years?
    If so, and Jesus loves you, you won't need any ammo.
    SO STOP HORDING IT..
    Again, if you're comfortable ... it's your choice. I worry about shotguns as primary weapons primarily based on the weight of the ammo. 100 rounds of shotgun ammo easily exceeds 1000 rounds of .22lr.

For me, I'd sooner go with the .22 fellas than the shotgun guys. But, we're not (yet at least) so limited in our choices; I've stated my own previously.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast