What is your Number One SHTF Gun? - Page 6
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your Number One SHTF Gun?

I'd take my 9mm pistol and my AK not the best guns I own but the ones I have the most ammo for. For small game like squirrels just shoot the bark under them it'll kill em dead. on a side note I knew a bear hunter who hunted with dogs and shot the bears out of the trees with a .22 just under the chin.

Beretta Vertec 9mm with M3X light and laser grips, and PLR-16.

4. Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    But if you're going to be in a more urban or suburban environment, a semi-automatic rifle might be prudent for defense against groups of humans preying upon others. I don't think you'd need an AK/AR/FAL/M1a and thousands of rounds of ammunition; the ability to hit what you're aiming at, quickly reacquire a target, and reload quickly enough to keep problems in abeyance until they decide to find an easier target is all one needs.
    As has been pointed out by several people, more information about the circumstances might help in weapon choice, but I find it interesting that you didn't think a 12 gauge pump would be a good gun in an urban environment like you described above but in a later post you talk about going with the ".22 guys."

Seriously?

I agree with you about toting the weight of the loads but beyond that I can do way more damage in an urban environment with 12 gauge slugs, or buckshot in close quarters, than I can with a .22.

I was reading this thread and thinking, "I can't believe no one has mentioned a shotgun yet," until it finally came up on page five. Personally, I think my Mossberg 930 SPX would be at the top of my list. A combination of slugs, buckshot and birdshot would be a good start to take along. Additional ammunition would be plentiful in my neck of the woods as nearly everyone who has guns has a 12 gauge.

Not so sure on which pistol I would take. My CC weapon would most likely be with me ... but I'd like something a little more "substantial."

5. Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    Please explain why people should cringe because you've chosen a revolver as your handgun.

I think those are good choices. Think about how many have chosen an M4gery (or other AR variant) as their main or only SHTF rifle; ammunition, magazines, and parts are ubiquitous.

A .357 revolver would be easy to find ammunition in the US, and your choice of handgun is very personal. If it's what you're comfortable with it's the best choice.

I know my wife's first choice handgun would be her Ruger Security Six. She's been shooting it since I bought it for her 30 years ago -- she's accurate and comfortable using it. I wouldn't even try to convince her to choose another.
    Great post . Why should a revolver be anything less then nothing .;which lots of people will have . Don't forget the mre's !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mudinyeri View Post
    As has been pointed out by several people, more information about the circumstances might help in weapon choice, but I find it interesting that you didn't think a 12 gauge pump would be a good gun in an urban environment like you described above but in a later post you talk about going with the ".22 guys."
    I agree with you about toting the weight of the loads but beyond that I can do way more damage in an urban environment with 12 gauge slugs, or buckshot in close quarters, than I can with a .22.

Seriously?
    If I'm on the move, I don't like the weight of the shotgun ammo. If I'm bugged-in somewhere I don't think it much matters as long as there's enough ammo to survive. The 12 gauge is entirely adequate, even devastating, at close range. But, the .22 rifle is much quieter and less likely to draw attention; it also has the advantage of being easier to operate if hurt, sick, or weak from hunger. Again, it's a choice each person would have to make for self.
    I was reading this thread and thinking, "I can't believe no one has mentioned a shotgun yet," until it finally came up on page five. Personally, I think my Mossberg 930 SPX would be at the top of my list. A combination of slugs, buckshot and birdshot would be a good start to take along. Additional ammunition would be plentiful in my neck of the woods as nearly everyone who has guns has a 12 gauge.
    Not so sure on which pistol I would take. My CC weapon would most likely be with me ... but I'd like something a little more "substantial."
    I agree that my CCW is not enough in a 'breakdown' environment; something more should be readily available. A person should plan for it. Different situations and belief sets is why people post varying ideas in these threads. To be entirely honest, a person's choices should be able to change with circumstances. Some people on this forum have posted what sounds like "Here's my choices, they're perfect and all anybody needs." I don't think reality is that simple.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

7. Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    I don't think reality is that simple.
    I can agree with that 100%!

I still think some version of a 12 gauge would be a good SHTF gun, though. Like I said, I'm particularly fond of my Mossy 930 SPX. In addition to the ACTUAL collateral damage it can cause, I would think facing someone holding one would act as a much stronger deterrent to criminal action that facing someone holding a .22.

I'm thinking about the SA XD .45 ACP Tactical as my next handgun purchase. With +P Golden Saber rounds, that should be adequate for a SHTF handgun. Not that my XD .40 wouldn't be sufficient.

what is your number 1 shtf gun

Bushmaster m-4 w/accessories, Bursa thunder9pro ultra compact,Mossburg model 500.

This may sound crazy, but my Hi-Point 995ts carbine. It shoot's 9mm hollow points as well as ball ammo, and I have many mags for it because (it only holds 10 rounds at a time) As for pistol again 9mm CZ75 over my 45 due to availability of that round.

For me SHTF means survival and not combat. I know that there may very well be the need to defend myself, but if I had to “bug out” my primary goal would be to survive off the land. This means hunting for small game as the primary use of my long gun.

My choices…Ruger 10/22 and a 1911 in .45 ACP. For me, this combination would give me the best chance of survival.

Well, this thread degenerated into a 'Key Board Commando' contradicting everything anyone else posted...

The fact of the matter is,
    You can hunt anything out there with a 12 Ga. and some assorted loads.

You will have to be 'Sneaky' for some things, get in close, but it will put down ANYTHING in North America without issues, and about anything in the world.

African hunt guides and 'Safety Men' use 12 ga. pump actions to support lion and elephant hunters.

I, like everyone else, carried a 12 Ga. while hunting, hiking, fishing in Alaska with the worlds largest, most dangerous bears... Without question, the best all around firearm you can carry.

In a 'Survival' Situation, I might want something that will allow me to take longer range game or smaller game without tearing it all to hell and back...

That would be an Over/Under with 12 Ga. under and .22 WMR or .223 Rem. on top.
    Although it wouldn't have the fire rate of the pump 12 Ga.
    It's anvil reliable and gives me the choice of pinpoint accuracy at ranges outside of the 12 Ga.
    And it allows me to do everything from small birds to large mammals.

--------------------------------------------------

In a 'Combat' situation, I'll stick with my AR rifle.
    I have the choice of very quiet .22 Long Rifle ammo with bolt carrier adapter (Which is stored in the stock) to a 30 round mag of serious firepower when I have to fight my way out of something,
    And no predator, two or four legs, can withstand a direct assault from a 30 round mag or two.

If I were in a place where VERY large game would be the normal situation, or very long shots were the normal situation,
    I would take my AR-10 in .308.
    Can't argue with a .30 caliber round, and the AR 10 is as reliable as any semi-auto rifle on the market,
    and is much more accurate than most semi-autos on the market.

Not really suited to small game, but would fill the role of longer range hunting rifle in both battle and food situations.

--------------------------------------------------

Having actually been in the military, RELIABILITY is the name of the game,
    And there is nothing more reliable than a pump 12 Ga. or a well crafted Wheel Gun.

People knock the wheel guns all the time, but I've NEVER had a modern, well made wheel gun jam, misfire when it wasn't the ammo's fault, and they are VERY powerful compared to most semi-auto chamberings.

Wheel guns also allow you to fire 'Non-Standard' rounds...
    Buck shot, multi projectile rounds, truncated rounds, stuff a semi-auto will struggle with or flat out won't load...

There is a REASON the 'Bear Guns' in Alaska are almost ALWAYS (99% of the time) Wheel Guns...
    Reliable, hard hitting, and just plain superior to any automatic out there in most cases.

If you want one of the HIGH CAPACITY 'Wonder Guns' that's fine with me!
    IF you have enough time to put ALL THE MAGAZINE on the target, and you have enough training to do the same, you MIGHT survive a bear attack!

With something like a .357 Mag and heavy penetrators, you don't have to guess,
    Or something even bigger and harder hitting if you don't aim under stress very well!

Personally, I usually carry my AR in .223 with .22LR adapter.
    Haven't run into anything yet that I can't put down with it... With the added option of NOT tearing game all to hell!

-------------------------------------------------

And I have to agree with the guy saying 'Ruger 10/22 and 1911...
    That pretty much covers everything I'd run into in a 'Bug Out' situation on foot through the bush around here.

No bears, wolves, and I'm mostly going to be short range 'Brush' shooting, so the accuracy of the 10/22 will put down anything I'm likely to run onto and want to eat...

The 1911 will put down anything of a larger variety, or at least provide cover fire of sufficient sound/fury for me to make my escape...
    (only IDIOTS fight in unfamiliar ground with an unknown size/strength adversary!)

I would prefer my AR with .223/.22LR capabilities and a 1911 or Glock in .45 ACP,
    But a Ruger 10/22 with optics and a 1911 would get me by just fine I think...

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast