Survival skill challenge (low impact)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survival skill challenge (low impact)

Exclamation Survival skill challenge (low impact)

OK here is the plan...GO CAMPING...GET OUT AND DO SOMETHING...it is a great way to teach the wife and kids with out being a survival wacko dad...
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

wolfhunter Guest
    But being a survival whacko dad is so much FUN!!!

I want to go camping again but may wait until fall. I hate camping in hot weather. Can't even enjoy a nice fire. I realize when the balloon goes up I will not have the choice of seasons but I can't bring myself to camp in hot weather if I do not have to. The older I get the more I hate hot weather. Bad state of affairs for someone in Texas.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

The frozen tundra!! Also known as Minnesota
    Heat or no heat, I'll be out with the family this weekend camping. The weather is supposed to suck though so that may be interesting. 90's by day, storms by night... ICK
    MN Permit to Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, PPITH
    NRA Life Member, 3 x Iraq War Vet

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    OK here is the plan...GO CAMPING...GET OUT AND DO SOMETHING...it is a great way to teach the wife and kids with out being a survival wacko dad...
    Too late!
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    I want to go camping again but may wait until fall. I hate camping in hot weather. Can't even enjoy a nice fire. I realize when the balloon goes up I will not have the choice of seasons but I can't bring myself to camp in hot weather if I do not have to. The older I get the more I hate hot weather. Bad state of affairs for someone in Texas.

Plenty of room up here, HK!
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    But being a survival whacko dad is so much FUN!!!
    I gotta agree... "I resemble that remark"...

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    Plenty of room up here, HK!
    If I ever move you can bet I will be heading north to where it is cooler. I love my home state but not the heat.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

What's with you guys and 'Baloons Going Up'? I don't get that...

You are MUCH more likely to have a natural disaster, Hurricane, Tornado, Flood, Dust bowl,
    Or something man made, Chemical Spill or Economic disaster like the great depression,

Than any 'Military Action' or 'Hippie Overthrow' or whatever...

Now, Camping is a VERY good idea!
    Some place you can teach bush craft and camp craft,
    Let the kids get creative with shelter or find easier ways to set up a camp.

Show how you can use empty cans for everything from cups to cooking to making usable utensils.

Show them how to drive a nail and remove it so you don't leave anything behind (and the nail can be reused in an emergency situation).

Show them how to make a hammock so they don't have to sleep on the ground,
    And show them the hammock makes a pretty good fish net,
    Or when strapped up high and has some leaves thrown up on it, shade/privacy screen when angled towards the ground has has leaves or brush on it.

Show them how to build fish traps so they don't need hook & line...

Show them how a zip lock bag works as flotation, canteen, dry storage, even a pillow, ect.

Good stuff for everyone to learn if they think they might have to forage for their dinner!

Never hurts to get them away from video games, cell phones and internet and get them 'Centered' on what has to be done in a community to keep things working...

Quote Originally Posted by AR Hammer View Post
    What's with you guys and 'Baloons Going Up'? I don't get that...

You are MUCH more likely to have a natural disaster, Hurricane, Tornado, Flood, Dust bowl,
    Or something man made, Chemical Spill or Economic disaster like the great depression,

Than any 'Military Action' or 'Hippie Overthrow' or whatever...

Now, Camping is a VERY good idea!
    Some place you can teach bush craft and camp craft,
    Let the kids get creative with shelter or find easier ways to set up a camp.

Show how you can use empty cans for everything from cups to cooking to making usable utensils.

Show them how to drive a nail and remove it so you don't leave anything behind (and the nail can be reused in an emergency situation).

Show them how to make a hammock so they don't have to sleep on the ground,
    And show them the hammock makes a pretty good fish net,
    Or when strapped up high and has some leaves thrown up on it, shade/privacy screen when angled towards the ground has has leaves or brush on it.

Show them how to build fish traps so they don't need hook & line...

Show them how a zip lock bag works as flotation, canteen, dry storage, even a pillow, ect.

Good stuff for everyone to learn if they think they might have to forage for their dinner!

Never hurts to get them away from video games, cell phones and internet and get them 'Centered' on what has to be done in a community to keep things working...
    O.K. you don't like the phrase when the balloon goes up. How about when the crap hits the fan?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast