Thoughts on a "Bug-Out" Carbine
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on a "Bug-Out" Carbine

Thoughts on a "Bug-Out" Carbine

Bugging out is a last resort for me as I'm sure it will be for most of you. That said, if the need should arise and I am limited to what I can carry on my person and on my back, certain compromises must be made.

Here are my thoughts on Choosing the Perfect “Bug-Out” Carbine. Any feedback would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Well, if we are talking a true carbine... .30 M1 Carbines are great! I suppose people would say an 5.56mm M4 as well but I'm not a fan of the gas system. An 5.45mm AK-74 with a folding stock is great! It's just about the most reliable platform available.

Now, these are my two top choices off the top of my head. Though I do own both... so I may be bias. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

I like the AR15 platform. The piston impingement units run cooler and are reliable, but cost could be an issue so it depends on budget. Easier to carry lots of ammo for 'em... 420 round can of 5.56x45 M855 62gr fills 14 30rd magazines... Not all that heavy...

I also like the .30 M1 carbine idea.. small light weight (both ammo and rifle)...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

I feel too many people dawg the M1 Carbine... I think there were too many stories from Korea of it not dropping Chinese troops. When, from the research I've done was actually more due to guys going full auto and simply missing.

The M1 Carbine is light, small, accurate, has good capacity w/ 30rd mags, those of which are light as well when loaded up... and within "most" situations where you would have to use the weapon, the 110gr soft point round hits with enough energy to put someone down.

It's not a 300m weapon, but who the hell(other than combat troops) will be shooting at someone at that range? You should hunker down and let them pass if you can...
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.

for me, I'm going with a Hi-Point carbine in .40 S&W to match my G27. Only 1 caliber of ammo to worry about. it may not have the range of an AR, but really, how much long range shooting does one expect to do.
    ~ Bill

The ammo thing is very important! The fewer calibers you have to carry, the more of one you can. Like Plainshunter said, how far out are you really going to be "reaching out & touching" someone? I'd bet the average would be between 25-100yds... with a few longer shots perhaps.

Hi-Point 9mm. (All my hand guns are 9mm)

9. Carbine

If not carrying too much is a issue kel tec sub 2000 is the solution takes pistol mags shoots 9 40 or 45 and folds in half for easy carry

CAR-15/M-4 works, effective 0-300M, easy to feed and clean!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

11. I would second the hipoint carbine in 40s&w. Matches up to my Jericho 941. If it is an extended INCB (im not coming back) situation im taking my SKS. I have abused it like it owed me money and it still does all I ask of it. I can't imagine needing to fire it often enough that ammo weight would be an issue. Thi isn't red dawn and the commies haven't invaded :) (but if they do I look forward to taking their ammo lol)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast