Survival Fitness. Does Fatty die first?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival Fitness. Does Fatty die first?

1. Survival Fitness. Does Fatty die first?

Ever go to a gun show and notice how many obese middle-aged guys are loading up on survival gear? Can a couch potato expect to survive in a grid-down world.

Before anyone things I'm being preachy, let me say that I had to face this question myself a couple of months ago. When I hit forty, I was way overweight and so sedentary that I got winded walking up a few flights of stairs. That was pretty humiliating for a guy who used to ace his p.t. test in the military.

So I tried to do something about it.

-----------------

I started exercising military-style everyday , and set these goals for myself:

Go from 260lbs to 225. (Now 240.)

Be able to do fifty non-stop pushups. (I'm up to 35.)

Be able to do ten non-stop chinups. (Started with 0, now I can do 5).

Be able to jog two miles without stopping. (Accomplished)

Be able to hike 25 miles a day with a pack. (Accomplished)

BTW, I have the frame of a running back, so 225 will be a pretty lean weight for me.

-------------------

To me, being fit means being able to cover distances on foot, clear obstacles, and exert force at any given time. I still have a ways to go, and it's really tough getting there. But I'm determined to meet and maintain those standards.

My main question is, has anyone else set similar standards? What is your definition of being fit for a survival situation? What sort of workout plan do you follow? What standards do you think are appropriate for your age and circumstances? Should I delete this thread and order a pizza?

3. Fatties go first? Hell, no, that's part of my food reserves!

Seriously though, congrats on your weight and fitness goals and progress.

Fitness is one part of preparedness. Another is gear and training. As important, at least what I've read, is mental and psychological readiness.

As difficult as the economy is, and it may get much worse with no relief in sight prior to next year's elections, if we even have elections, it pays to get prepared and be vigilant.

Operational security is something that comes up over and over, considering in most scenarios, you will be sheltering in. Your neighbor may not have prepared at all, and I have tended to be evangelical in urging neighbors and friends to at least have several weeks worth of food in the house, and even better to have several months.

Not to hijack the thread, however, you have a good point about being in shape. I think most shooters will agree.

It's like Charles Barkley said one time, "I have a shape, it's round" BTW, I've observed the same thing at gun shows. I'm one of those guys, except I started a couple of years ago. I've got most of what I need and in the being vigilant, not vigilante, phase. So, I do what I can to stay in shape, just able to do less at 50. Cheers!

Roman Legionaries knew that starting the campaign season fat always worked out better than starting thin.

Gladiators found some belly fat often was the difference between living or dying in the ring.

Of course, staying centrally obese can increase your risk of diabetes.

Playing army boot camp? Have fun. The experience is over-rated.

-Doc

Not gunshow fatty

While not being a gun-show fatty I found that at 50 and carrying a 13 inch radial decided to start working out with my teen son ( think he IS engizer bunny ) walking,running,jumping this that and the other
    Oh yea personals 225 5ft 10 and 50 years old
    A Body Piercing
    Saved My Life
    <(((><

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    To each his own.

Oh, I'm 6'3", 195 1bs, sandy hair, dreamy blue eyes and square chin. I can do 175 push ups, 125 chin ups, 85 sit ups in a minute and can run a 10k in under 40 minutes. I can carry a volkswagon on level ground 1 mile in 18 minutes. I have fought two grizzlies to the death simultaneously, and I lived to tell the tale and have two bear rugs in my self made log cabin. I have a six pack that would make a 12 pack cry. ...Stay thirsty my friends.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

I'm not fat, I'm hard to kidnap!
    George Washington: “They may pass a law to issue paper money, but 20 laws will not make the people receive it. Paper money is founded upon fraud and knavery.”

8. The first do die will be the unprepared and where ever the police state hits the hardest. From what I study, which I'm no pro by any means, seems the ones that live and breath the grid, tv, and have No idea how to do anything from themselves. Having said that, a fat person can die before a thin person. How? Simple as the "I got winded walking a flight of stairs." How can u defend yourself/family/house from rioters or thieves if u cant get around. Same goes with a thin person, how can they defend if they have no clue either. Sorry to say but everything comes to Common Sence and "planning for your area" I live in the suburbs and already have a get the F out of dodge plan. If I can't, I have plan B. Of course its all useless if National Guard comes in Katrina style........or is it

Well I went to a gun show in Richmond Va, just this past weekend and have to agree with the post about overweight people. Just being prep. with food , water and weapons and survivale knowledge won't cut it. I watched overweight cop's for years have a hell of a time with job performance because of their weight.

For myself I have had 2 heart attacks and some othe major medical problems but I am a survivor and will stand up to anything that comes down the pike.

I am 65 years old at 6'0" and 195 lbs. and work around my 101 acers of property everyday for my exercise.
    Bill

Was 5'9" 350# at 50 years, 202 avator photo and still have survival fat reserve but can climb stairs and ride/walk everyday, a little harder to hide my cc.

11. Ever notice how many fat people hunt for food they can set traps they can shoot they will do fine til the massive heart attack

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast