25 Things You Should Do To Prepare For the Economic Collpase
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25 Things You Should Do To Prepare For the Economic Collpase

Thumbs up 25 Things You Should Do To Prepare For the Economic Collpase

This is really common sense stuff, but for those who haven't thought about it... here ya go.

25 Things That You Should Do To Get Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

I clicked on the link. I was somewhat amazed at the first part being about cutting or being out of debt. Like you said, that is pretty much common sense. I live in a northern climate where we get snow, freezing rain/ice and have gotten power outages that lately last from several hours to days. Remember the blackout a few years back of the eastern great lakes. I was amazed at people asking why we can't gasoline, my phone is out and rushing to the store for water. Well, the gas pumps and newer telephones that you plug into the wall operate off of electricity. The older telephone are low voltage and still work when the power goes out by the way. I hunt, camp and fish so I really did not panic. The bottom is to be prepared and have something and not be caught out in the open.

Sorry, but the thread seems to be more a sales gimick for this survivalist site.

Granted, it mentions 25 things that should be done, but lacks specifics, i.e. good solid actionalbe advise.
    For example just how much money should one keep on hand, what debts do you pay off? If you could pay off your mortgage wouldn't you have?

Still good stuff to think about, but better information would have been helpful.

JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by vn6869 View Post
    Sorry, but the thread seems to be more a sales gimick for this survivalist site.

Granted, it mentions 25 things that should be done, but lacks specifics, i.e. good solid actionalbe advise.
    For example just how much money should one keep on hand, what debts do you pay off? If you could pay off your mortgage wouldn't you have?

Still good stuff to think about, but better information would have been helpful.

JMHO
    I wish I was getting paid to re-post the things I do! I need to work on that.... Anyway, I agree that it'd be great if the article gave exact details and answers... but, that's not realistic. Each person is different, different life situations and priorities. The article leaves it up to the individual to make the final decision on these matters. Like how much cash to keep on hand...? That's totally dependent on the individual circumstances, like how much do your monthly bills cost you and how long do YOU think you'd need that emergency fund? Same with the debts... which ones do you think are the most pressing? Which ones would you care about paying off should the S ever HTF? Which debts could cause serious problems for you and your family if you don't pay them off pre-SHTF and if the dollar collapsed(or any other catastrophe), you couldn't pay it off? All of that is up to you to decide. I think you answered that particular question for yourself... you suggested that it'd make the most sense to pay off the house first... there you go, that's for you. Others may not have a mortgage, but rent, so there's nothing to pay off. They may just plan to leave if the property owner ever comes around... who knows?

It's up to you.
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.

It is hard for me to understand how paying off debts is important in a true SHTF scenario. If there is rioting in the streets and people are hungry, are we really worried about repo men? Its also odd that people worry about having cash on hand. If things get that bad you would be better off with ammo, food and water.

Maybe I am just misunderstanding the severity of a SHTF scenario.

But either way, Ive got canned goods, water, and ammo.
    -Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    It is hard for me to understand how paying off debts is important in a true SHTF scenario. If there is rioting in the streets and people are hungry, are we really worried about repo men? Its also odd that people worry about having cash on hand. If things get that bad you would be better off with ammo, food and water.

I'm with you Austin. If there is a dollar collapse or (insert your own SHTF situation) the money you have stored away may be worthless. It would be more prudent to invest in food, water, guns & ammo to protect what you already have. Stores would be closed/looted and trucks would not be resupplying them. Whatever you have pre-SHTF would most likely be all you will get. Just look at how expensive ammo has become over the months. What if food production and electricity were suddenly gone across the US? A can of beans or a 50rd box of .22's may be priceless.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post

Paying off the debts is a just-in-case measure being as that society would come back to normal, if say, it was only a temorary SHTF scenario. So, you wouldn't want to just stop paying off your debt, things go down hill for a few months or longer and when society starts up again, those people holding your debt come calling it... and you can't pay it... so they may repo whatever it is. Is it likely, hell, IDK... but it just makes good sense to pay debts as quickly as you can anyway. Point is, the debt thing isn't for DURING an SHTF scenario, it's for AFTER one.

The cash on hand deal... what people fail to understand is that 9 out of 10 times society goes WROL, it's a slow process, a process with many identifying factors. One such factor is bank runs and shut downs. Don't confuse this with a currency collapse(that comes later), during bank runs the fiat currency(dollars) would still hold value, albeit, much less... so people will still accept it as payment, if for only a few weeks. If there is a bank run, you WILL NOT be able to get your money out of the bank and your accounts would be frozen. So, how would you pay for things? Remember, SHTF, historically, is a slow process where society is still functioning, sorta. You will need cash! Unless of course, you're willing to trade ammo and guns for your fuel and food? Or, you're just going to shoot people right off the get-go to get what you need. You need cash... in the event that we never have bank runs, have you seen the trend of gov'ts taking $$$ right from people's accounts(Cyprus style)? I hope you've seen it... do you really feel good knowing your "money" is in a bank that you DON'T control? Or, do you feel good knowing that your "money" is actually nothing more than numbers in a server? I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSlick View Post
    I'm with you Austin. If there is a dollar collapse or (insert your own SHTF situation) the money you have stored away may be worthless. It would be more prudent to invest in food, water, guns & ammo to protect what you already have. Stores would be closed/looted and trucks would not be resupplying them. Whatever you have pre-SHTF would most likely be all you will get. Just look at how expensive ammo has become over the months. What if food production and electricity were suddenly gone across the US? A can of beans or a 50rd box of .22's may be priceless.
    You are assuming a full-scale only collapse that happens overnight, don't. It is unlikely that you'll go to bed and wake up in Book of Eli world... it will happen slower than you think. What if there isn't a total collapse, just severe economic termoil, bank runs and shut downs... not a currency collapse... how are you going to get your "money", how are you going to pay for things? Yes, have guns, ammo, beans and band-aids.... but don't count on that being the only way to handle a SHTF scenario. An SHTF world could take many shapes, it may not be total chaos and collapse... you need to plan for a "soft" collapse as well, one where society still functioned at least somewhat. Otherwise, you're going to be the guy with all the guns and ammo but, you can't get whatever else it is you'll need without giving up the precious items first, like your extra ammo and medical supplies.

Valid points, and duly noted.

I am not one of those people that will immediately resort to violence to take what I want in this scenario. I have seen a lot of people that say that they will though.

One thing to take for certain thouigh: if its you or my family....sorry bubba....its a wrap.
    -Austin

I wasn't assuming a full scale SHTF just a dollar collapse but I left it open which was the "insert your own reference" comment. But you are right in the presumption that a collapse will be gradual rather than sudden and could take on many forms. The only thing that I can think of that would fall under the pretense of a sudden collapse would be a solar or EMP event were everything would be affected. An inflationary event would take many weeks or months to unfold until it really started to get ugly and the wise would see it coming.

Personally, I only keep enough money in the bank to pay the bills. The rest is in the safe so if the something like a Cypress happened here at least I would have something to fall back on though it may not last long. I think one would be prudent to save the supplies at home until the shelves were bare then dig into the reserves but that's just me. If one prepares for a hard collapse and it ends up being a softer one then you will be in a better position to provide for your family and keep them safe.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast