Bug Out Bags, will they get you killed? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bug Out Bags, will they get you killed?

Blog Entries
    Don't forget your pets! You'll need first aid kits and supplies for them as well. If your have strong pets they can even carry some supplies themselves. I have two American Pit Bull Terriers, who could easily carry extra supplies. Not only that, the breed enjoys having a purpose. Consider all your resources.
    "Educated men are as much superior to uneducated men as the living are to the dead."_Aristotle
    http://berkbru.wix.com/dstglv http://berkleybruce.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BRBruce View Post
    Don't forget your pets! You'll need first aid kits and supplies for them as well. If your have strong pets they can even carry some supplies themselves. I have two American Pit Bull Terriers, who could easily carry extra supplies. Not only that, the breed enjoys having a purpose. Consider all your resources.
    Horses and mules would be a good pet! For those who want a really efficient bug out system.
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

Well if it is winter, my Husky can easily pull the dog sled we have. Add in the dobie and it is good to go. Sled big enough to haul gear plus the granddaughter easily.
    But most likely just bug-in as most stated. House has back up generator, plus a fireplace if it is cold.

Ideally, a bug-out shouldn't mean you're going to live in the woods for an extended period of time, although it may have to happen, but rather an evac to another location that you've predetermined as appropriate. Hopefully, you can hump the distance in 3-5 days at the most. Another aspect is if you are traveling by vehicle and for one reason or another have to abandon it, finishing the trip on foot. You may have a break down, run out of fuel or hit an ambush that you've escaped with your life but have to ditch the ride and flee.

As stated before, one of the most critical items you'll need will be water, water purifiers, and water containers. If you're humping on foot, you're going to be sweating... a lot. Don't forget the salt pills either... food shouldn't take up too much room of your pack. If you have to, you can eat leaves, nuts, berries and bugs en route. Some metioned bugging out through well populated areas... avoid this at all costs! Stay away from people in a bug out! Only venture near people for supplies if you absolutely have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    I won't go over what you should have in your bag in detail but I will add that if you have children, you shouldn't forget about their needs. If you have a child in diapers and you HAVE to leave, do you have them? What about wipes? Enough food for them? Water? How exactly will you transport them? Just something to think about. Like others have said, bugging out should be a last resort and not a first thought. Keep it as light as possible, either way.
    Knowledge bomb. People always forget about their kids needs. I got an alice pack with a few days supplies and mucho ammo in case we have to leave the house. It includes a few things kids need and an ereader on the charger for kids stories to settle them down. Unplug it, stuff the charger in the pocket and go!

I wouldn't call it a BOB, but it may qualify as one.

Bug Out Bag Yes, Contents No.

staying in place is not an option. the cities and towns will burn, over a lack of water or Fire dept. All of the above ground structures will be searched, again and again, so stayiing in one will get you killed. Who said you have to be so far from town? all you really need is to remain UNDETECTED. That is fairly easy to do if you stay hidden in daylight, and have some buried caches of food and gear. The woods around your local water supply is all you need, short term. Long term, there will be goodies lying everywhere, cause 99% of people will be dead after a few months of shtf.

Only Olympically fit men can run and gun with more than about 40 lbs. Nobody can do it with more than 70 lbs. What they DO is ride in Humvees, planes, trucks, etc, If shtf, you wont have the use of vehicles, and resupply from Uncle, or any help, will be out of the questions. I can last much longer with 30 lbs of gear than 99% can do with 100 lbs, because i've been studying this subject in depth for 45 years+. They "think" that they want crude old, cheap milsurp gear, which is intended to last for GENERATIONS of troops, (and be cheap). So it's HEAVY, dudes. I'll take gossamer-gear (and some thinking) cause if shtf, I won't CARE if the gear wears out in 6 months. :-) By then, I'll have tons more or I'll be dead. There will be tons of milsurp gear lying around, waiting to be picked up.

Reminds me of that line in We Were Soldiers, from the old Sgt. Maj. in reference to using the (at the time) new M16, "If the time comes I need one sir, there will be plenty of 'em lying on the ground."
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

I'd never trust to luck for having needed weapon. that much you'd better take care of, yourself. You need experience with them, so that you can use them without thought, when fractions of a second mean life or death. other things, you will have time to read up on and figure out. shooting or hand to hand? not

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast