78 Skills Everyone Should Know
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 78 Skills Everyone Should Know

78 Skills Everyone Should Know

Survival is based largely on two things: a positive mental attitude and knowledge. With those two covered, you can make up for any lack of tools. Knowledge doesn’t break, wear out, and short of forgetting a thing or two, you generally can’t lose it.
    Below, is a compiled list of skills I think everyone should know. This is by no means a “complete” list because there is always room to learn more, and the more you know, the greater your chances of survival. But this will give you a solid foundation and a far broader skill set than most people. Everyone should know how to:
    1.Drive a stick shift
    2.Swim
    3.Start a fire without matches or a lighter
    4.Build a garden
    5.Use herbal remedies
    6.Produce beer/wine
    7.Build your local community
    8.Tan leather
    9.Cure/smoke meat
    10.Make soap
    11.Construct animal/fish traps
    12.Make activated charcoal
    13.Survive hypothermia
    14.Properly load a backpack
    15.Conduct basic repairs (home, auto, equipment, etc.)
    16.Operate a ham radio
    17.Defend yourself without a weapon
    18.Identify surveillance
    19.Build a rainwater collection system
    20.Weld
    21.Accurately fire an arrow
    22.Dehydrate food
    23.Construct snowshoes
    24.Build a raft with a tarp
    25.Navigate using the stars
    26.Right an overturned raft
    27.Build with stone/brick (basic masonry)
    28.Cut down a tree with an ax
    29.Forage for food
    30.Sew and/or make clothing
    31.Pilot a boat
    32.Shoot a firearm accurately
    33.Find water
    34.Utilize camouflage
    35.Construct a pond
    36.Can food
    37.Ski
    38.Dig a latrine
    39.Build with wood (basic carpentry)
    40.Determine authenticity of gold and silver
    41.Rappel
    42.Follow a trail/tracking
    43.Use less-lethal weapons (baton, stun gun, pepper spray, etc.)
    44.Metal working (blacksmith)
    45.Lose a tail
    46.Operate power tools
    47.Construct a splint
    48.Open a can without a can opener
    49.Drive a motorcycle
    50.Construct a net
    51.Identify animals by tracks and/or scat
    52.Patch a tire
    53.Reload ammunition
    54.Build a bow and arrow
    55.Administer first aid
    56.Identify venomous snakes
    57.Accurately fire a slingshot
    58.Make candles
    59.Raise fish (for food)
    60.Distill water/alcohol
    61.Hot wire a car
    62.Cook without a stove
    63.Survive heat injuries
    64.Raise livestock
    65.Find tinder
    66.Create fertile soil
    67.Make charcloth
    68.Properly store food
    69.Survive a riot
    70.Sharpen a knife
    71.Butcher livestock
    72.Purify water
    73.Make leather products (sheathes, holsters, boots, etc.)
    74.Hunt and fish
    75.Cast bullets
    76.Maintain a bee hive
    77.Use hand tools
    78.Tie a knot
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Dedicated to my brother in law who died
    doing what he loved being a Navy SEAL

not one guy in 100 can do even 1/2 of those things. Some of them take months (each) to learn to do, worth a hoot. i'd need to read up on some of them, myself, and I've been a "hand", survivalist, hunter/trapper/smith/machinist for 40 years now.

Yeah I can maybe do 20 or so of those.
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

I counted... I confidently have 30 of those skills. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Survivors

Ah heck, I will just suck a bullet. I am only good for 22. But with my boat I should get extra credit for catching fish. Lots of fish. Someone else make the candles.
    #6 brought a a smile to my face. I think I'll survive in spite of not qualifying. And #45, but, but, I don't even have a tail :) And where is scuba diving? That's got to be good for something. I mean if making beer counts....

The reality is that I always thought that survivors of a nuclear holocast were the losers. I figured I would go down to the Dugway proving grounds (high on soviet target lists) and watch to see if the bomb really goes off 100 feet above the ground or if it actually hits the ground.
    Last edited by farsidefan1; 10-04-2013 at 02:23 AM. Reason: added last sentence
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head!

I've always thought that the way to lose a tail was to go threaten to or actually shoot the sob? or go to the edge of a LARGE forest, at dusk, and let them SEE you break out the AR, BOB, etc, and walk off into the woods. What NOW, punks? Follow me? I got something for you. by the way, it doesn't have to be nuclear to be widespread and horrifying. Just the collapse of the $ will do that.

Farsidefan1

Is there a Cal Ranch near your home? They have an incredible book of all these "lost" skills. I may not know how to do them but the book can walk me through it until I can.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    Time to add FireMarshall Bill to the block list.

there's a set of books, almost certainly by now an e-book, called the "Foxfire Series", appalachian hillbilly survival skills. I'd add several skills to that list. How to make the rocker/sear assembly for an smg or xbow. How to make 2-3 types of explosives, how to shape the good stuff into claymore mines, how to make and mount silencers, at least on a .22 and an already threaded barrel, like the AR-15.

Quote Originally Posted by thru View Post
    there's a set of books, almost certainly by now an e-book, called the "Foxfire Series", appalachian hillbilly survival skills. I'd add several skills to that list. How to make the rocker/sear assembly for an smg or xbow. How to make 2-3 types of explosives, how to shape the good stuff into claymore mines, how to make and mount silencers, at least on a .22 and an already threaded barrel, like the AR-15.
    Not that I've ever done it but, I know how to make basic explosives and silencers... Not that I have, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

to do it right, and not lose some fingers, like old Kurt Saxon did, you need reagent grade chemicals, and mix small amounts at a time, with WOODEN utensils, thru a sandbag wall, with heavy gloves and thick lexan, small port to see thru. or rig it to be done remotely, by machine. Some of the powders can be handled safely only as a wet "slurry". Like priming compound is done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast