What's in your Bug Out Bag
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's in your Bug Out Bag

What's in your Bug Out Bag

What’s in Your Bug Out Bag- This is what's in mine

A solid 3 day plan and minimum equipment

1- Large storage bag or pack-Surplus Military like ALICE Pack
    2-Water or Water purification filter/purification tablets
    3-Food, 3 days of freeze dried ready to eat. Also easy to carry and store foods like granola bars, high energy bars.
    4-Fire essentials- waterproof lighters, flint and steel, bic lighters, kindling, tinder. 35mm film canister of cotton.
    5-Shelter-It can be simple like a solar blanket/small tarp
    6-Well stocked first aid kit/with a basic first aid book. A 30 day supply of your medications.
    7-Flashlights (2) with spare batteries
    8-Emergency radio with spare batteries
    9-100’ Para chord
    10-50’ of snare wire
    11-small spool of fishing line, hooks, bobbers
    12-pocket knife
    13-Survival knife/ sheath
    14-Sharpening Stone or tool or sticks
    15-quality compass
    16-maps
    17-sewing kit
    18-Emergency blankets
    19-100 mile an hour tape/ duct tape
    20-Safety Pins
    21-Handgun or EDC weapon with holster and sturdy belt/xtra mags
    22-Long gun extra mags and accessories
    23-Minimum of 100 rounds for each
    22-Signal Mirror
    23-Signal flares
    24-Whistle
    25- Chemlights/Glowsticks
    26-Bug spray or repellent
    27-Sunscreen
    28-Brimmed Hat
    29-Combination multi-tool
    30-Folding Shovel/sheath
    31-Wire style tent pegs (10)
    32-100’ climbing rope
    33-Combat Hatchet/Axe
    34-Rain Gear
    35-Spare change of outdoor clothes, especially socks.....take care of your feet
    36-Emergency hammock
    37-Ziplock Bags
    38-Assorted Zipties
    39-Cash in low dollar denominations
    40-Important documents in ziplock

Add or subtract as you need.
    This is the bag South Florida Gun School uses in its 3 day Swamp Survival Course
    BTTBBOB
    President & Chief Instructor
    www.sflagunschool.com

I like backpacking, so I have a bunch of stuff that would work already, it's just a matter of making sure I store it one place. I do have a bunch to collect yet, but getting there.

What I'm wondering is what food is good (have a bunch of backpacking freeze dried stuff but that's expensive)... lots of stuff out there but most of it looks completely tasteless.

Also, who takes pets in to consideration? We have dogs, a cat and horses... if all hell breaks loose and we can get them to survive with us, they could be invaluable as hunters, pest control and transportation. The problem would be water... It'd be pretty close to impossible to keep enough for the horses. We have a well... but if there's no power we can't use it.
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

*Vest Contents*
    By: Festus
    06 August 2005

VEST CONTENTS:

Back small zipper pocket

Bible

GPS w/ batteries

Ear plugs (9 PAIR)

Space Blanket

Large brown trash bags (2 Ea.)
    Back large zipper pocket

Gloves, NOMEX

Light sticks (4 EA)

Green toothbrush

MRE (2EA)

MRE Accessories (1 packet)

Saw w/ sheath

Fishing kit

550 Cord (100 FT)

Repellant, Insect (DEET) (3 Ea.)
    Lt. side

Holster

Side arm (as required)
    Rt. Side pocket

Water flask

Water purification tablets
    Lower Lt. front pocket

First Aid Kit

Whistle

Face camouflage kit

Latex gloves

Tourniquet

Iodine w/ cotton swabs

Chapstick
    Middle Lt. outboard pocket

Compass, lensatic (Mil spec)

Fire starter

Knife sharpener

LED flashlight w/ batteries
    Middle Lt. inboard pocket

Signal mirror

Strobe, rescue

Magazine pouch

Pistol magazine (as required)
    Upper Lt. pocket

Cleaning kit (weapon specific)
    Lower Rt. outboard pocket

Knife, folding, w/ pocket clip

Forceps

Finger light w/ battery

Ammunition (weapon specific)

20 RNDS 12 GA or 40 RNDS 7.62
    Lower Rt. inboard pocket

Knife, field w/ sheath

Ammunition (weapon specific)

20 RNDS 12 GA or 40 RNDS 7.62
    Magazine pouch

Pistol magazine (as required)
    Upper Rt. pocket

Binoculars, compact
    Shoulder Attach points
    Gerber tool or Leatherman PST

Carabineer

Camel back (70 oz)
    Inside pockets

USAF Escape and Evasion Pamphlet

Topographical Map

Cash

I.D. Papers

Range correction cards for 7.62 at distances w/ mil dot scope

Calculator
    my bag is a vest but this works for me!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Weigh it all, folks. And much more importantly, see how far you can hike with it all, in one day. Then see if you are still able to hike back home the next day. :-) If you blister your feet, hurt your ankle/knee by going 10 miles with the 100 lbs or so listed above in one day, you won't make it more than a 5 miles the next day and the 3rd day, you won't be able to walk at all.

I think that you will consider the original posted list to be quite "solid" all right. :-) In fact, you'll throw away about 3/4 of it and be very glad that you no longer have to lug it. 3 days should not require more than about 15 lbs, maybe 20 lbs if it's cold at the time. That is, if you are not going to include armor and a longarm. You don't need food for a week of hard effort, or a month of just lying around. Water weighs 8 lbs per gallon and you need a gallon or more per day, so carrying more than 1/2 gallon is not practical. You'll just have to plan your route along water sources, or cache gallon jugs of water along your planned route, have ways of extracting water from plants, the soil, etc.

Most of the original list would not be needed for weeks, if not months. The fact is, if hostilities are likely, you'd better not figure on going more than a very few miles, or you'd better have a moutain bicycle, and you'll need lots more gear, food, etc, stashed wherever you are headed. If you walk alongside the bike, it's feasible to have 60-70 lbs, but I'd have much different gear on the list, regardless. Sucha pile of such stuff is the mark of somebody who's never done anything like this.

What you might need for a short term evac (ID, documents) you'd better just cache (assuming that there's time, or abandon) if it's a WROL scenario, cause you'd better not let yourself be detected. You'd better think in terms of being shot on sight, actually, and behave accordingly (ie, hide during daylight hours).

In just the bag, not the vest contents (if it were that type of bug-out):

-Built-in, 2L 'Camel Back' of water
    -First-Aid kit (basically an IFAK, I've added some things)
    -Zip-lock bag of pain meds and antibiotics
    -3 days worth of diapers/wipes for son
    -Zip-lock bag of fire starting equipment (lighters, matches, magnesium, flint, wire brush/battery)
    -Water purification tabs
    -empty 20oz bottle
    -emergency tent/ponchos
    -small roll of duck tape
    -2 dozen zip-ties
    -Surefire flashlight w/ 2 extra batteries
    -.380 handgun w/ 3 mags
    -100ft of 550 cord
    -Coleman knife
    -Multi tool
    -Diaper rash cream
    -MRE side items (assorted-enough for: 1500 cal. for adult a day/3 days & 800 cal. a day for child a day/3 days)

My wife has a smaller BoB with mostly the same items, just less. I also may be forgetting some things but, you get the point. All in all, it's about 30 pounds for my bag and 20 for the wife...

EDIT: Forgot, 1 pair extra socks for each of us (so, 4 total)... travel baby powder... SAS survival book...
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

if you have little ones, my god, do you ever need mountain bikes. sling the small child up in front, so he can look up and see your face. I remember needing more like 8 diapers per day, so 3 day's worth is a ton of the things. Best find out if it;s too late to condition the child in the Indian way, to not cry, or at least, not loudly. check out Campmor for gear.

Quote Originally Posted by thru View Post
    if you have little ones, my god, do you ever need mountain bikes. sling the small child up in front, so he can look up and see your face. I remember needing more like 8 diapers per day, so 3 day's worth is a ton of the things. Best find out if it;s too late to condition the child in the Indian way, to not cry, or at least, not loudly. check out Campmor for gear.
    Well, he's 2yrs old... only goes through a few a day. My daughter is 4, both can walk... albeit, at a child's pace. B/c we have children... bugging out is our absolute last resort.
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.

yes, but realistically, you will have to do so. hopefully you live near the edge of a city, or in a small town, cause the roads will quickly choke with shotup or stalled vehicles, and no 4 wheeler is going anywhere on them. A few sticks with nails in them,will stop cars in a short distance, for the looters to get the stuff from the car-folks, I fear. towns and cities will burn, due to lack of water and no Fire Dept. Packs of starving dogs will form, and soon they will spread to the livestock of local farmers. city folk will be taking the animals and the grain from farmers. It will be a horrible mess.

Quote Originally Posted by thru View Post
    yes, but realistically, you will have to do so. hopefully you live near the edge of a city, or in a small town, cause the roads will quickly choke with shotup or stalled vehicles, and no 4 wheeler is going anywhere on them. A few sticks with nails in them,will stop cars in a short distance, for the looters to get the stuff from the car-folks, I fear. towns and cities will burn, due to lack of water and no Fire Dept. Packs of starving dogs will form, and soon they will spread to the livestock of local farmers. city folk will be taking the animals and the grain from farmers. It will be a horrible mess.
    We're near the edge of town.... but we also live near a huge population center (not my choice, the gubment told me to). However, there are still plenty of strips/acres of forest around us that could be used to travel the roughly 20 miles to the country. 20 miles is a lot to hump, especially with kids... it'd have to be slow and silent, for sure. The only way we'd be able to use our vehicle is if we got out of town before the S hit the fan

yep, without mountain bikes and with kids, 20 miles is 2 nights of humping and you'll still need luck (ie,moonlight) or night vision goggles. Don't try it in daylight, man. the military PLANS for taking casulties. how many casulties are "acceptable" with your loved ones, folks? So the way that the military does things doesn't apply to us. the FIRST thing that the military does is get the dependants out of the combat zone (if any were there in the first place) Having dependants present means that the men don't get ANY fighting done. One blast of buckshot at you, from 100 yds away, or a fast "burst" of semiauto 22 fire, is almost certain to hit one of you, and a .22 in you means death, without modern med care.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast