u dont want a big, heavy pistoll for shtf.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: u dont want a big, heavy pistoll for shtf.

u dont want a big, heavy pistoll for shtf.

you want a 1 lb pocket 9mm, and some sort of autoloading rifle. If you use your pistol much at all, you wont make it. So a couple of magazines of ammo for it is plenty. There will be no practicing once shtf, cause the noise will call in your killers. The pistol is so inferior to the rifle that you'd better need it very little at all. Stealth, knowledge, skill and focus had better be what you use, not lots of rifle ammo! If your rifle and ammo are too heavy/bulky to be slung at the ready, then you need to swap to some other gear.

I"ll TAKE having 30 lbs less ammo and mags for my rifle, and in their place, take some nvd's and a solar charger for the batteried, cause I'm not coming out in daylight for about a year, after shtf. Dog packs will be a huge issue, if shtf and they can hunt at night just fine. Some will be so desperate, and so accustomed to ineffective shots by humans, that merely hitting one of them will not stop the others. Think about that. Dogs hit 50 fps, 35 mph. How good are you at hitting moving targets in the dark? how quickly and to what ranges?

It will be your head and instincts that will help you survive, not your steel/polymer weapons.

of course, and you'd better be using your head NOW, selecting proper gear and learning to use it all well. Humankind has no instincts. All that remains are some infantile reflexes. Our THINKING consciousness proved so far superior to instincts that the latter were "bred out of" us. We learn a fair number of things while our mother is bearing us, like fear of loud noises, fear of loss of support/balance.

What's a big, heavy pistoll ????
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by thru View Post
    you want a 1 lb pocket 9mm, and some sort of autoloading rifle. If you use your pistol much at all, you wont make it. So a couple of magazines of ammo for it is plenty. There will be no practicing once shtf, cause the noise will call in your killers. The pistol is so inferior to the rifle that you'd better need it very little at all. Stealth, knowledge, skill and focus had better be what you use, not lots of rifle ammo! If your rifle and ammo are too heavy/bulky to be slung at the ready, then you need to swap to some other gear.
    My full size Glock 22 is only 6 oz more than your pocket 9mm. I'll keep my G22 and my rifle rather than swapping it for a pocket 9mm.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

and carry it WHERE, along with pack and rifle? some place out in the debris and weather, unconcealed? no thanks. My pistol for shtf is 13 ozs. Your G22 is not 19 ozs, and you probably like 180 gr bullets, which means a couple of your mags full weigh a full lb.. Gotta have a spare mag, in case one gets deformed, or split or dented, etc.

I've thought about replacing my Llama .380 (which is sorta a non-use sorta pistol, I hardly shoot it) in my BoB with one of these:u dont want a big, heavy pistoll for shtf.-10150.jpg

with a silencer. I've got an SR22 that I could put in the bag too, but IDK... haven't made the pistol a priority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by thru View Post
    and carry it WHERE, along with pack and rifle? some place out in the debris and weather, unconcealed? no thanks. My pistol for shtf is 13 ozs. Your G22 is not 19 ozs, and you probably like 180 gr bullets, which means a couple of your mags full weigh a full lb.. Gotta have a spare mag, in case one gets deformed, or split or dented, etc.
    G22 is 22oz which is 6 oz more than 1 lb (which you said your pocket 9 was originally and then change your tune and respond that it is 13 oz instead). I never said my G22 was 19 oz which would only be 3 oz more than 1 lb.

And only one of my mags in the mag well would still have more ammo than your pocket 9mm with a couple extra mags... so I don't see your tactical advantage, especially if shtf (your term) and 6 guys started coming at me for my gear and food. Nor do I see why you post a new thread and tell everyone "this is the way it has to be (original post) and no one else is right (response to my post)"

If tactically, a pocket 9mm is the best way to go with a few extra mags, then why is the M1911 used by the military (oh btw, it's 2.4 lbs)

To answer your question, carry it WHERE??... why not a Serpa holster on my belt? I carry it daily in a Serpa on my belt now.. If needing to bug out, it would still be there. ??? not sure why this would have even been a question. One will bug out with what they have on them and what is in their BoB. You mention it being out in the debris and weather. Glock was made for this type of harsh environment. How are you protecting your rifle in the "debris and weather" and "slung over your shoulder"?

I'm done with this pi$$ing match. Truth is, you take what you feel is necessary to survive and it comes down to making comprises over necessity vs. weight. You feel that your pocket 9mm is best for you, great. Just don't preach it to everyone else that this is the only way to go.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

I went back through my BoB and swapped the .380 for the SR22. I've got two 10rd mags plus 100 spare rounds of .22lr in the pack now, that should suffice for a 'survival' handgun. I have actually pondered getting a Crickett .22lr for a BoB weapon as well, much like the setup in this article: Crickett .22 | Single Shot 22 | Hunting Rifles ? Review.

I've got provisions in my vehicle, in hopes I wouldn't have to abandon it... such as a Kel-Tec SU-16b with five 20rd and one 30rd mags, a few gallons of water, more food, tarp, rope, cord, lighters/matches, hatchet, more zip-ties, duck tape, blanket, flashlight, light sticks, mess kit, Fire Start bricks, tool kits, 10lb hammer, Tire Slime/pump kit, anti-freeze and motor oil........... and maybe some other stuff, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast