Investing in precious metals
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Investing in precious metals

Exclamation Investing in precious metals

I keep hearing about folks buying precious metals instead of stocks. This is sound advice. I have been investing in precious metals for years...4140 arsenal grade steel, copper, lead and brass. I figure these will be priceless after the SHTF.............
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

+1. A little food would be in order to.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Cool plenty of groceries

I have been storing plenty of stuff for the coming winter. How about you grasshopper?
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    I keep hearing about folks buying precious metals instead of stocks. This is sound advice. I have been investing in precious metals for years...4140 arsenal grade steel, copper, lead and brass. I figure these will be priceless after the SHTF.............
    I have been storing plenty of stuff for the coming winter. How about you grasshopper?
    [I]Some yes but could use more. Perhaps while the government is in a bail out mood they would like to help me with my preperations.[/I
    Last edited by HK4U; 10-05-2008 at 12:45 AM.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    The rate of return of precious metals over 5 years or more is relatively low. They're too volatile to justify purchasing for the short term, and are often beaten by even the worst mutual funds. The "school of thought" is that when the dollar is worthless, gold or silver will always be an accepted form of currency. My take on this, is that if the dollar DOES become worthless, few people will have liquid forms of gold anyway. Much of the "Buy Gold" stuff you see is often stocks in gold mining/refining/forming companies. When the dollar is worthless, goods and services will be more important than a shiny coin.

Buy mutual funds.
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

....and ammo.
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

Cover all the bases if you can.

I'm investing in:
    Large quantities of ammo and reloading supplies
    Food supplies and water purification stuff
    Survival gear
    Mutual funds
    Physical gold and silver

and

Lots of Training

boyzoi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PascalFleischman View Post
    The rate of return of precious metals over 5 years or more is relatively low. They're too volatile to justify purchasing for the short term, and are often beaten by even the worst mutual funds. The "school of thought" is that when the dollar is worthless, gold or silver will always be an accepted form of currency. My take on this, is that if the dollar DOES become worthless, few people will have liquid forms of gold anyway. Much of the "Buy Gold" stuff you see is often stocks in gold mining/refining/forming companies. When the dollar is worthless, goods and services will be more important than a shiny coin.

Buy mutual funds.
    buying into mining companies etc is no different that any other company, if the company goes under so does your paper....silver and gold have been used in value trading for 1000's of years and likely will never be worth nothing. investing in precious metals is now expecially a very good investment. over the same period of time silver has out performed gold and is still affordable for most. had you bought silver earlier in this year at around $10 an ounce (where it is now) you could have sold it if you wanted to turn your money for about $22 an ounce, not sure about you but thats a pretty good move Im holding for other reasons, but silver in particular IMO will have substantial worth over being shiney as it has more industrial uses than gold. the industrail nations ( China India) are growing and will drive the value, talking about having physical possesion here, not paper in companies.......as a side, the market, using the one day lose of 777, at the same time had stocks in certain sectors that had 50% and higher increases. it al depends on where you are. Personally, I'm buying right now, as much as I can in the appropriate sectors.JMHO

Rule of thumb, never buy precious metals when the dollar is weak only buy when the dollar is strong! When the dollar falls precious metals increase in value as it gets stronger it decreases. If you buy now you run a very good chance of losing up to 50% when the dollar recovers.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Red face i DON'T THINK SOME OF YOU READ THE FIRST POST

My idea of precious metal are the items used in the MFG of firearms and ammo.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast