6-month emergency food supplies - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 6-month emergency food supplies

well,now..

we 're gonna go to Tarzan's house !!;)

Wait a second now...

Are wells normally located outside the house for any particular reason? For example, would a flood cause water to back up the well into the basement? Or, do outdoor wells normally vent gases that we never notice, like radon, that are already a problem for basements? Might want to take that into account, and put in some way to deal with the extra volume of toxic radioactive gas if it's going to be an issue.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

400 gallons, Tarzan? Now, that's what I called prepared!

Just a note on the freeze dried/backpacker foods. I have tried different varieties from Alpine Aire, Richmoor Natural High, Backpackers Pantry, and Mountain House and the Mountain House varieties are by far the best tasting. Usually not real high in meat quantity in them, so a can of chicken or something to add to it wouldn't hurt. Also to fix these they need water, preferably hot water, so having the water is good, water and a way to heat it is better. MRE's work, and I have some of those as well, but every one I have tried has made me gag, so if any of you with military background know any decent varieties of MRE, please share :)

You can get long term bulk food storage items from Walton Feed http://waltonfeed.com/ and Honeyville Grain http://honeyvillegrain.com/ as well. Don't think they have too much in the way of instant meals, but fairly good pricing and selection on grains, etc. Walton Feed's site has some good food storage information as well. I also found with some items the cheapest place to get them was Sam's Club/ Costco (sugar, baking soda/powder, etc.)

another thought....

one may want to consider taking 5-10 dollars a week in your grocey budget and get non-perishables at the grocery store. you defintely don't want to introduce unfamiliar food to your body in a "fan" situation!

walton feed

Quote Originally Posted by mom of 3 angels View Post
    Just a note on the freeze dried/backpacker foods. I have tried different varieties from Alpine Aire, Richmoor Natural High, Backpackers Pantry, and Mountain House and the Mountain House varieties are by far the best tasting. Usually not real high in meat quantity in them, so a can of chicken or something to add to it wouldn't hurt. Also to fix these they need water, preferably hot water, so having the water is good, water and a way to heat it is better. MRE's work, and I have some of those as well, but every one I have tried has made me gag, so if any of you with military background know any decent varieties of MRE, please share :)

You can get long term bulk food storage items from Walton Feed http://waltonfeed.com/ and Honeyville Grain http://honeyvillegrain.com/ as well. Don't think they have too much in the way of instant meals, but fairly good pricing and selection on grains, etc. Walton Feed's site has some good food storage information as well. I also found with some items the cheapest place to get them was Sam's Club/ Costco (sugar, baking soda/powder, etc.)
    +1 on Walton Feed. I have not purchased anything lately but about 15-17 years ago I bought from them and they were a very good company to deal with.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

8. Storage

To add to what Boris said; It would also be a good idea to have some silver, gold or cash hidden away. You never know what may happen, or what type of disaster to be prepared for and this could really help.

Gold

Quote Originally Posted by robiewan View Post
    To add to what Boris said; It would also be a good idea to have some silver, gold or cash hidden away. You never know what may happen, or what type of disaster to be prepared for and this could really help.

Gold or silver would be best as you never know what will happen to the dollar if the economy tanks. There is nothing backing up the dollar, no gold reserve. The fed creates money out of thing air and our government borrows from them with intrest.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by boris View Post
    one may want to consider taking 5-10 dollars a week in your grocey budget and get non-perishables at the grocery store. you defintely don't want to introduce unfamiliar food to your body in a "fan" situation!
    Very well spoken. Grocery store Case Lot sales are great. If they put a limit on the number of cases of whatever you can buy, take your kids and send them through another line with their limit (my mom used to do this to us!), or just go as many times as you need to during the sale.

Oil is also important as it is difficult to cook much without it. I have found that it stays good in my food room for 2+ years, but the older it is the faster it goes rancid once it is opened, so the smaller bottles are better than the big jugs.

Another item in my food storage I love is bottled meat since storable protiens are hard to come by and/or expensive. Next time you hunt (and are successful) you may try this--you can get a lot of bottles full off a deer, tons off an elk, or just bottle however much you want. Once when our freezer was full I bottled an entire deer, but I usually just bottle whatever cuts I don't make into steaks.

Cut meat in 1 1/2 inch squares or so (even tough cuts work great) and stuff in pint bottles. Add 1/2 tsp salt/bottle and add hot water to just below neck of bottle. Wipe rims off and put lids on. Put about 2" of hot water in your pressure canner with the rack in and bottle the meat at about 12 lbs pressure for 60-65 minutes. Kind of takes a long time to bottle, but the end product is great and does not take up space in your freezer or go bad if the power is out!

This is my favorite way to eat deer meat also (not a real game fan). You can use it cold for sandwiches or put it in soups/casseroles/etc.--fast since it's already cooked. Great and cheap addition to long term storage.

If you go to the following site and click on the links you will see quite a few survival related web sites.

http://www.modernsurvival.net/

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast